Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2007, 06:02 AM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

She Alone Stands Between Thee and Thy Doom

Here's a thought I'd like to discuss:

It was only some time after first reading The Silmarillion that I really started figuring out how the pieces fit together. For one - I came to the sad realization that the line of Hurin ends with his children, particularly his son Turin - while the lines of other principal heroic figures continue.

Specifically, those of Beren and Tuor (Turin's younger cousin). Now - what do these two have in common? They both married Elves - and Elven princesses. In fact, the daughters of the Kings of two great Elven kingdoms - Doriath and Gondolin. Their descendants (Beren's grand-daughter and Tuor's son) marry - and become the parents of Elrond and Elros. Elrond becomes great among the Elven Lords, and Elros lives for 500 years and spends most of that time as the first king and founder of Numenor.

Did Turin have his chance?

At the defeat of Nargothrond's army by Glaurung and the Orcs, Turin rushes to the aid of Gwindor, who was mortally wounded, and carries him from the battle. Gwindor's final words to him are about Finduilas, daughter of Orodreth, who was then King of Nargothrond.

Quote:
... Now if thou love me, leave me! Haste thee to Nargothrond and save Finduilas. And this last I say to thee: she alone stands between thee and thy doom. If thou fail her, it shall not fail to find thee. Farewell!"
But - when Turin arrives at Nargothrond, of course, Glaurung and the Orcs had come first and are already arranging their captives, including Finduilas. Then we have the confrontation between Turin and Glaurung, with Turin transfixed by Glaurung's gaze - and the words of Glaurung to Turin. Most of all, Glaurung taunts Turin about the fates of his mother and sister (who are by then actually safe at Doriath).

When released, Turin has a choice. He can give chase to the Orcs and try to find a way to rescue Finduilas, who has just been captured. Or - he can go find out what has happened to the mother he has not seen in over twenty years (23 by Unfinished Tales), and the sister he has never met.

What does he do? Prompted by Glaurung, he goes to Dor-lomin in search of his mother and sister.

Quote:
But Turin passed away on the northward road and Glaurung laughed once more, for he had accomplished the errand of his Master.
And - when this all works itself out, Turin doesn't find them in Dor-lomin, since they are no longer there - and Finduilas is slain by the Orcs when they're set upon by the men of Brethil. Turin only comes in time to mourn over her burial mound.

So - my thought/question...

If Turin had made the other choice, and if he had somehow rescued Finduilas (hopeless as it seems), would that have somehow broken the doom of Morgoth's ill will? Even more, would it (assuming marriage and children - she clearly loves him) have established his line, and given his descendants a place among the great Elves and/or Men of the generations to come?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 04-03-2007 at 06:05 AM.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote