Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-22-2002, 03:28 PM   #11
Darius O'Herran
Sapling

Lembas Yummmm

Well, from what I know of Tolkien, and of his background, I would assume they were a lot like the wafers you would get in church. You see, there is a reasoning behind this. Tolkien was a devout roman catholic. I know that when you read Tolkien there is no mention of god or any gods whatsoever in the "trilogy" Tolkien didn't originally write the works as religious symbolism, he did in the revisions make a concious effort to do so. Also, Lembas is called Waybread, which is the bread given to one on their deathbed for your last communion in catholicism. It can almost be compared, the waybread of catholicism is supposed to help you along your journey to heaven. The waybread in Tolkien was also to help upon the most important journey of Frodo's life. It was, in its own way, a sustainer of his life. The Lembas can look however you want it to in your mind, but that is my reasoning as to why I believe in Tolkien's mind, it was probably a lot like a big piece of communion bread.

Darius O'Herran

Oh yeah, and FRODO LIVES!!!
Darius O'Herran is offline   Reply With Quote