Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2002, 11:06 PM   #1
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Banned Books

We're dicussing book banning in my langauge arts class, and I thought I'd open a discussion on the Moot to see what you folks thought about it.
For instance, what are your views on book banning? Do you support it, think it's ridiculous, what?

I am very strongly against banning books. I think kids and their own families should be the people to decide - for themselves- what they are capable of reading and comprehending. I see no reason why kids should be sheltered from "sex 'n drugs 'n rock and roll" untill they're 18 or so, and then simply plunged into the real world, head first. I think it's very stupid and pointless to attempt to decide for other people what they can and cannot read.
And anyway, age is an unreliable thing to go by too - "When you're so- and -so age you can read this book." BS! People mature at different rates, and age has nothing to do with what their minds can be able to handle!

There, my two cents . . .

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote