FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-23-2006, 12:27 PM   #22
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
I got "self-hating" from this:
"I see what you're saying, but I think you're perceiving it wrong - it's for those who are struggling against their OWN unwanted homosexuality - it's their PERSONAL choice - they WANT to change."

Then I went on a rant in my head about possible motives behind that and got avoiding eternal damnation from my internal monologue, because I was kind of mad.

Why was I kind of mad? (Not at you, but at the idea of desiring to change one's sexuality.)

Because I can't even beging to imagine what kind of pressure someone must face (from family, friends, society, themselves, whoever), to want to change their sexuality. Sexuality is something you feel, it's not something you can blame yourself for or turn on and off like a switch. You can't go back to Sexuality-Mart and exchange it for one you like better.

I can't begin to imagine the pain someone must feel to want to change or deny a part of themselves like that. Your sexuality isn't like a bad habit that you should quit, it's part of who you are. It just is, it's not right or wrong.
Thank you Nurvi! Nurvingiel hit the nail on the head, here.
Absolutely. It really IS rankling and heartbreaking to know that there are people out there receiving that kind of mental and spiritual and emotional pressure and manipulation from groups in power such as right-wing religious conservatives and the like, people like Lief here who disagree, quoting "Jesus says in the bible" smugly and officiously to back up why he disagrees.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote