Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-13-2006, 11:13 AM   #1
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Top Ten Characters???

Can you name and tell about your Top Ten Characters???

Alternate Reality Writers Zone web magazine is compiling a list of Top Ten Favorite Characters, so if you wish to cast your vote for to the Top Ten Characters, submit your Top Ten list. Provide the Title of the book, film or other media in which the character appears, as well as the Author, Director, etc. of each.

My list is as follows:
  • 1. Croaker in The Black Company by Glen Cook - The mercenary company historian and battle medic's insight into the world in which they serve is sometimes analytical, sometimes cynical. A refreshingly different character profile than what I usually come across in the fantasy genre.
  • 2. Phillip Marlowe in Farewell My Lovely by Raymond Chandler - He is the private dick!
  • 3. Turin Turambar in Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien (Christopher Tolkien) - The darkness surrounding this character always intrigued me.
  • 4. Montag in Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradury - The moral struggle he faces in his mind while books are burned is as intense as the heat from the burning books.
  • 5. Halbarad in Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien - A minor character but one of the more intriging ones to me. The second in command of the Dunedain Rangers he was most likely the de facto commander while his Chieftain Aragorn travelled the world in the years before the war. He was one of the named 'good guys' who was a casualty in the war of the Ring.
  • 6. HAL 9000 in 2001 A Space Oddesy by Authur C. Clarke - The ultimate in Artificial Intelligence run amok due to mans' programming.
  • 7. Goblin & One Eye in The Black Company book series by Glen Cook - I know, I list two characters for the number 7 spot, but even though they are distictly different, its their interaction that makes it work. The two dueling minor wizards of the Balck Company are always trying to one-up the other with a prank, adding comic relief in the midst of death and destruction. They changed my conception of the typical fantasy all-powerful wizard of the Gandalf mold.
  • 8. Carl in The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury - Not so much a character than a vehicle of stories, but in the Jack Smight movie, Carl is rather intensly played by Rod Steiger, and this is the character I see when I read this book again.
  • 9. Paul Atreides/Muad'Dib in Dune by Frank Herbert - A deep character in the book.
  • 10. Spock in Star Trek by Gene Roddenberry - Always liked the way Leonard Nimoy played him.