Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-13-2002, 05:44 PM   #1
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

"The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien"

First, let me ask whether this is the proper spot for points relating to "The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien", and if not, O Site Gods, please go ahead and move this to wherever you feel appropriate. May I suggest a new "Master Topic", "J.R.R. Tolkien The Man"?

I have been reading "Letters", and am absolutely fascinated. Not only by observing how his writings came into being, but by the insights into how the man thought.

I would love a spot to discuss his ideas on things like War in genreal, his views on Hitler, and even his take on "football," "sportsmanship," or marriage and the sexes. He says some deeply relevant things in the Letters, and I would love to discuss some of these issues with fellow Mooters and see their views on them.

I was really taken on how he stood up, in 1938, to the idiots at the publishers in Germany who wanted him to basically give evidence of his "ethnic purity" in order to publish "The Hobbit" in German. His response, in part, states:

"But if I am to understand that you are enquiring whether I am of Jewish origin, I can only reply that I regret that I have no ancestors of that gifted people [emphasis added].

This is such an incredibly beautiful thing for the Master to say, and I would have loved to have seen the faces of the Nazi Party faithful upon reading these brave words, and moreso, had that paperhanger Hitler himself been shown the Master's derision for his blatant pig-ignorant stupidity.

Tolkien makes some more wonderful comments about Hitler and his type, including, "We knew Hitler was a vulgar and ignorant little cad...". I'd love to discuss some of these comments in further detail with my fellow Mooters, if you folks are of a mood...
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote