Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-02-2005, 11:04 AM   #1
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

J.M. Barrie

Well, I don't know if anyone on this board has read anything by or about J.M. Barrie besides what he's best known for- Peter Pan, but Barrie's life and works are up for discussion here.

I've always loved the story of Peter Pan since I first saw the Disney animated version when I was a kid. When I got older I read the book, and was a million times more enchanted. I read it at least once a year, it's a delightful book. I thought at the time that Barrie's only significant work was Peter Pan.

About a month ago, however, I went to see the movie Finding Neverland, and, as is usual with me, I wanted to see how much of the true story was actually portrayed in the movie (as it turns out, not very much. But that's okay, I still think it's a good movie--- did I just say that?). I read a biography by Andrew Birkin called J.M. Barrie and the Lost Boys, and I find myself very intrigued by the story of Barrie's life, as well as his own mind.

I've also read a few of his plays since then, which I find charming, and also The Little Minister, which is probably a better work than Peter Pan (although the latter still remains my favorite).

If you are like me, and haven't really thought of J.M.B. further than Peter Pan, I encourage you to look into some of his other works- they are quite good and shouldn't be missed. For those of you who have read any of Barrie's works, here's the place to discuss them- as I am aching to do. Any takers?
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote