FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-04-2003, 08:54 PM   #1
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Pippa Boyens Excoriated for Horrible Screenplay on National Radio

Well, ol' bropous strikes a blow for the honor of JRR:

On the nationally syndicated talk radio show "The Hugh Hewitt Show", Pippa Boyens had been slated to appear for a full hour with Hugh. Hugh is a lover of Tolkien as well, and he was rather excited to talk with her about the upcoming film, and his main issue was, "What happened to Tom Bombadil?"

Well, NewLine called the show about five minutes before the show, with Boyens on the line for the interview. Unfortunately, the hapless Hugh failed to tell his producer, Dwayne, that Boyens was scheduled for the hour. Dwayne told New Line he didn't have her on the schedule, and hung up on them!!!!

Hugh was (humorously) flabbergasted, and assailed Dwayne for killing the interview. So, I called the show as Hugh was asking for ways to punish Dwayne, his producer.

I called the show, got on the air with Hugh, and told him I thought Dwayne should be rewarded, not punished, as Boyens had absolutely butchered the story!

After I gave the address of Entmoot and gave a big acknowledgement to Ben Milder for running the 'Moot, Hugh and I went back-and-forth, and I found him to be rather uninformed as the film goes, as he wasn't aware that the Scouring of the Shire and Saruman and Wormtongue's scenes were deleted. When I told him that is what the word is, he screeched that I was spoiling the upcoming film.

So, I countered with material from the first two films: Turning of Arwen into Xena Elf Warrior at the Fords of Bruinen, Aragorn's "death scene" in Two Towers, as well as the attack of the wargs on the Rohirrim on the way to Helm's Deep. I even got him to pull up the Moot on his monitor while we were on the radio!

I wrapped up my brief appearance by restating my assertion: "Jackson's Lord of the Rings is as bad a rendition of a book as deLaurentis' butchering of Dune!" Hugh howled, I could tell he didn't agree, but I have a feeling ol' Hugh the law professor might start looking at the 'Moot to find out what we're saying. He's read the books twenty-plus times, which means he has far more to offer than, say, BB. Unfortunately, the poor devil looks like Ralphie from "A Christmas Story"!!!!

If anyone is interested in hearing the Voice of Bropous assailing Phippa Boyens on national radio, got to http://www.hughhewitt.com/ and check out the second hour of the Hugh Hewitt show for Thursday, December 4. Listen for the call from "Joel" from Colorado Springs!

The new convert is on the Crusade on a national level.....top that, jd and BoP!

[edited only for spelling and name corrections]
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.

Last edited by bropous : 12-04-2003 at 09:49 PM.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote