Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-10-2003, 02:01 PM   #1
azalea
Long lost mooter

Knee-slappers

I'm rereading The Hobbit for the umpteenth time (last time was in 2001), but this time it is for a special reason: my husband has never read any Tolkien! I thought he had read The Hobbit, so was going to make him read LotR, but then found out he had only ever seen the movie! I insisted that he listen while I read aloud The Hobbit, so he conceded to hear it for 20 minutes each night. We're currently starting ch.3.

Anyway, my point in creating this thread, aside from being able to relay my little personal story, was to ask what parts you think are hilarious -- I think Tolkien included some great humourous moments, some of which are so understated, but make one laugh out loud. For instance, my husband (who doesn't like fantasy, which is why he's never read the ME novels) at one point looked at me as if I had gone crazy, because I couldn't stop laughing after I read (from An Unexpected Party):

"'And more cakes -- and ale -- and coffee, if you don't mind,' called the other dwarves through the door.
'Put on a few eggs, there's a good fellow!' Gandalf called after him, as the hobbit stumped off to the pantries. 'And just bring out the cold chicken and pickles!'
'Seems to know as much about the inside of my larders as I do myself!' thought Mr. Baggins..."

That line that Bilbo says made me laugh so hard (in fact, I laughed as I typed it) that I had to stop reading for a minute. It's not that funny in itself necessarily, but within the context of the scene it is perfect.
(Incidentally, what is Gandalf pregnant, or something? Eggs, chicken and PICKLES?! And how DID he know Bilbo had those things? Was it because wizards can "far-see" into people's larders, or was it just a lucky guess, considering the fact that he was well-versed in hobbits and their eating habits?)

So what lines or scenes do you think are funny, or even make you laugh out loud when you read them?

(BTW, the above incident was of course early in the story. My husband ended up laughing aloud a few times himself as I read Roast Mutton -- and it wasn't just because of my cockney accent for the trolls, either [which is quite fun to do -- try reading that scene aloud next time you read it]!)
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote