Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-22-1999, 02:09 AM   #1
bmilder

Who/What got you interested in the Riftwar books?

Back when Prodigy Classic still existed I loved its bulletin boards (but even 3-4 years ago its popularity as an online service was waning). I joined the "Burglar's Guild," a Tolkien "club" in the Games Bulletin Board (I guess it sprung up around the Lord of the Rings adventure game, one of my favorites). By the time I joined, there was really only one feature of the club left, that being the RPG. I liked it, but the other two regular contributors (Radagast and GG... are you guys reading this ? :P) kept including characters I had never heard of, like Pug and Kulgan. I got very annoyed, and kept trying to kill off the Riftwar characters (and then 1,000,000,000,000 orcs came and killed Pug because this is a Tolkien RPG, not Riftwar!!! ) Eventually the club died down, but I suspect that they may have just moved to get away from me . Of course, I couldn't really help being annoying, being only nine or ten or so :P. Anyway... years later, I was looking in a bookstore and I read something about "Feist's Riftwar saga." The name rang a bell, so I looked for the book mentioned, Magician: Apprentice, and looked inside. Sure enough, it was about Pug and Kulgan! I realized that was the book they had been referencing, so I read it. It was great. Of course, around that time Prodigy was dying so I never got a chance to send an email to Radagast thanking him for his "recommendation." :P