Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion > The Silmarillion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-31-2003, 04:55 PM   #18
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros
Fëanor being THE LOREMASTER of the Ñoldor certainly had other reasons for wanting to keep the Þ.
Yes, Maitimo, he certainly did - I didn't mean to imply that was the only reason. I was just pointing out some of the emotional ties to the Þ. Another bit from the Shibboleth (for the benefit of those that don't have it ) :
Quote:
Into the strife and confusion of loyalties in that time this seemingly trivial matter, the change of Þ to s, was caught up to its embitterment, and to lasting detriment to the Quenya tongue. Had peace been maintained there can be no doubt that the advice of Fëanor, with which all the other loremasters privately or openly agreed, would have prevailed. But an opinion in which he was certainly right was rejected because of the follies and evil deeds into which he was later led. He made it a personal matter: he and his sons adhered to Þ, and they demanded that all those who were sincere in their support should do the same. Therefore those who resented his arrogance, and still more those whose support later turned to hatred, rejected his shibboleth.
An interesting side note is that Finarfin's house used the Þ because of his love of the Vanyar, his mother's people, and the Teleri - "Finarfin being moved by Fëanor neither one way or the other but doing as he wished." But Galadriel, his daughter, "certainly used s in her own daily speech" because "opposition to Fëanor soon became a dominant motive with Galadriel". Whew, all these family politics!! Finarfin sounds like the only one with sense in this matter.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 03-31-2003 at 05:03 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote