Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-28-2002, 05:33 PM   #21
Ithildin55
Hobbit

Suilad, Elanor, mellon n*n.
Interesting discussion here and some good points brought out IMO. I had not previously noticed that about Fëanor ruthlessly taking and then destroying the creations of the Teleri while selfishly denying the benefit of his creations to all of Arda.

I think the concept of the ships being one-of-a-kind creations is a good one too. In our world, there were lots of tall ships, but only one Cutty Sark, only one Flying Cloud, etc. A painter could paint a masterpiece, and if it were destroyed, he could still paint more pictures, but that particular masterpiece would be gone forever, it could not be duplicated. I think the Teleri could and did build more ships, but they could not duplicate the original ones as each one was unique.

Ithildin

Those who risk nothing – achieve nothing...
STS-107 Columbia and Crew: Your Dream will live on.
We will keep reaching for the stars.
Ithildin55 is offline   Reply With Quote