Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-25-2002, 01:12 AM   #1
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Books We Hate

Must-not-reads:

1) The Left Behind series - GAAAAAAAAHHHH!!! One of the most hideous things I've ever attempted to read in my life!!! Horrible! Manages to make the Apocalypse boring! DIE DIE DIE!!!

2) Anything by Michael Crichton - Especially Timeline! Character development? What character development?

3) Great Expectations - Normally, I love Dickens, but this was just cruel.

4) Moby Dick - Not as bad, but I could really do without those loooong chapters classifying whales as fish and explaining the symbolism of the color white (off topic? naaah)

Well, that's all I can think of . . .

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 08:27 PM   #2
mirrille
Elven Warrior

1) Some of Michael Crichton's stuff is actually not bad. Like the "Andromeda Strain" or even "Jurassic Park" if you can ignore some of the more sensationalized parts, it qualifies as good sci-fi. But "Timeline" was horrible. The whole story was about people running around while depraved medieval people try to kill them. I skimmed the last 2/3 of the book because that was all that was going on.

2) The Cay. I was forced to read this in elementary school. By this time, I had had about as much as I could take of "stranded on a deserted island" stories. The whole story is told by this racist white kid who whines whines whines about/at this black guy who is actually very nice and trying to protect the spoiled brat.

3) Anything by Margaret Atwood. I don't understand why she is so popular here. I can only assume that it is because Canada suffers from a lack of really good authors. But that's hard to believe. I'm pretty sure we can do better than that. Still, why would anyone read her stuff if there is anything else around to read? Her characters are either so confused or so maladjusted or so annoying, you want to slap them all. Well, there was one character that was kind of cool. That was in only one of her books i read. She killed him off. People are not allowed to be sane in her novels.

4) Beloved by Toni Morrison. I was forced to read this in university. I believe there was a movie made this. In actual fact, the story was not too bad. Or the idea behind the story was not too bad. But the style just killed any interest I might have had. It's one of those books that skips all over the timeline, sometimes several times in the same chapter, without any explanation that that's what is going on. Then every once in a while, it inserts sections of chopped up phrases, which may or may not be punctuated and make no sense whatsoever. This can go on for pages at a time. *shudder*

I might be able to think of more, but the worst ones, i think i've suppressed.

Last edited by mirrille : 01-27-2002 at 04:01 AM.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 08:43 PM   #3
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Re: Books We Hate

Quote:
Originally posted by FrodoFriend
1) The Left Behind series - GAAAAAAAAHHHH!!! One of the most hideous things I've ever attempted to read in my life!!! Horrible! Manages to make the Apocalypse boring! DIE DIE DIE!!!
Good books!
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 09:25 PM   #4
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Nooo! You lie!!

Somebody recommended them to me as very good books, and I was just horrified. The characters are so predictable and whiny, and the whole thing is pervaded with a massive Christian Superiority Complex. And the writing is so . . . simplistic. No depth whatsoever. I seriously think it's the worst book I've ever tried to read.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

Last edited by FrodoFriend : 01-26-2002 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-26-2002, 10:49 PM   #5
Kamyel
Hobbit

The Left Behind books start out a little slow, but they get better the further into them you get. However I'll admit they can be a bit predictable, but over all they're not bad IMO.
Kamyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 06:21 PM   #6
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Oh well. Maybe it's just me, but they really made me want to bang my head against the wall in protest.

Old 01-27-2002, 06:26 PM   #7
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Mooo...I liked Timeline.

Do not read "Meet the Austins" by Madeleine L'Engle. That is a terrible book. Her others are okay, but I hated this book with a passion (and that's saying something, since I love to read).

Also, why is Tamora Pierce so popular? She's not that great of an author. I read her Lioness Quartet books and they were amazingly BAD.
Old 01-28-2002, 04:18 PM   #8
Finmandos12
Elven Warrior

If you've read Left Behind, read Right Behind. It's a hilarious parody. That said, the series started out good. The last two have just been rather... I don't know, bad.
Old 01-28-2002, 08:15 PM   #9
Alethes
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish

Also, why is Tamora Pierce so popular? She's not that great of an author. I read her Lioness Quartet books and they were amazingly BAD.
I haven't read the Lioness Quartet, but I have read some of her other books. The Circle of Magic series was pretty boring. I used to like the Protector of the Small series (despite the obviously feminist message). However, in the third book, the main character's mother began to blatantly encourage the main character to do something that I feel is morally wrong. It was very obvious that Tamora Pierce agreed with this activity. I don't plan on reading any more of that series, or any more books by that author.

Other books I hated:

The Cartoonist (by Betsy Byars): It's been a while since I read this, but I remember that it was depressing and pretty dumb.

Children of Time: Almost every character gets killed off, and it is implied that the ones who don't will live a pretty depressing life.

Flowers for Algernon: I didn't finish the entire book, but I have had it described to me and I know the ending. Why anyone would want to read a book this depressing is beyond me. Also, I wasn't too thrilled with some of the underlying themes.
-Proverbs 22:11
Alethes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 01:56 AM   #10
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Quote:
Originally posted by Finmandos12
If you've read Left Behind, read Right Behind. It's a hilarious parody. That said, the series started out good. The last two have just been rather... I don't know, bad.
LOL! The Left and Right Behind . . .

Old 01-30-2002, 10:25 PM   #11
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Flowers for Algernon made me cry. I like depressing books once in awhile, I just get in the mood for a good cry, but I don't read them all the time I like to be happy. Tamora Pierce is just...not a good author.

There aren't many books I hate though, so I may not be able to contribute to this thread much more.

Oh yes. The Scarlet Letter. I hated that book with a passion. Not so much the story, but the way it was written. Nathaniel Hawthorne was a horrible writer...our English teacher pointed out a sentence that was nearly a paragraph long, and the language was terrible (not as in...swearing, just badly used)
Old 01-30-2002, 11:17 PM   #12
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

LOL, yeah, Polish, the so-called "interrupted sentence". We studied that one in detail. I liked the ending of SL though, it was touching.

Old 01-30-2002, 11:20 PM   #13
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

I suppose. I didn't like Dimmesdale though. He was kind of...meh...weak, in my mind, but not. It's hard to explain.
Old 01-30-2002, 11:27 PM   #14
gdl96
the greg the admin

Quote:
Oh yes. The Scarlet Letter. I hated that book with a passion. Not so much the story, but the way it was written. Nathaniel Hawthorne was a horrible writer...our English teacher pointed out a sentence that was nearly a paragraph long, and the language was terrible (not as in...swearing, just badly used)
Amen.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 10:49 PM   #15
Twilight
Elven Warrior

I remember being forced into reading the scarlet letter. I think that the length of the book could easily be cut in half, if not more, and still retain all of its meaning. I dislike books where you can read entire pages, and no new information, insights, or plot is given. To many authors just go on and on about nothing.
Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 09:05 PM   #16
Sakata
Elven Warrior

-scarlet letter
-Death of a salesman
-and both were young
-plain truth
-red tent
-The Lord of the Rings -jk

-Dare you venture into Gollum's Lair?

JESUS LIVES!
Sakata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 09:32 PM   #17
Twilight
Elven Warrior

Right now, my organic chemistry textbook. I would burn it if it wasn't worth a hundred dollars.

The three musketeers. That book was really bad. (the movie was very good though)

The Man who was Thursday - the ending had no meaning at all. I had to read it for class. Most of it looked like it was going to be good, but it sudenly got strange in the last few chapters and made no sinse at all.
Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 10:56 PM   #18
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Yeh . . . Tamora Pierce's lioness quartet was TERRIBLE! And I love books, I love to read, and whatnot, but those were just bad.
I didn't like the war of the worlds either . . . don't ask me why not . . .

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 08:46 PM   #19
Alethes
Enting

Basically anything by Edgar Allen Poe. I know some people like scary books, but I despise them. I tend to remember things that frighten me for a really long time, so it's not a good idea for me to read scary things. I've read several of the "Great Illustrated Classics" versions of his stories, and all but one scared me to death. (The pictures didn't help much. I could have lived a long, happy life without seeing a picture of a man getting bricked into a wall to die.)

I also dislike certain myths (especially Norse ones) for similar reasons. In one Norse myth I read, a man killed the two sons of the evil king and queen. Then, he made a necklace for the queen out of her sons' eyeballs and drinking cups for the king and queen out of the sons' skulls. Once the king and queen learned about this, they went mad. And they all lived happily ever after.

There's a really dumb sci-fi book called "Away Is a Strange Place To Be". It tried to take themes like child slavery (some aliens had human children for slaves) and incorporate them into the book, but the book just ended up being incredibly stupid.

I didn't like A Wrinkle In Time either. It's been several years since I read it, but it creeped me out when I did.
-Proverbs 22:11

Last edited by Alethes : 02-10-2002 at 07:07 PM.
Alethes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 01:21 AM   #20
Liviaine
Elven Warrior

I'm being forced to read The Cay for a school assignment. I don't like it.

After my dad finished Moby Dick, he said, "Herman Melville sure needed an editor." I mean, it was a great book, but it went on about some things forever.

There's some more, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Last edited by Liviaine : 02-09-2002 at 01:23 AM.
Liviaine is offline   Reply With Quote