Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-21-2002, 07:59 PM   #1
Yazad
Enting

Favorite character interpretations kinda poll thingie...

Howdy Mooters!

I've been listening to the BBC radio drama of the Fellowship the past few days, and I kept asking myself whether or not I preferred this version of any given character or someone else's interpretation. I figured this might be an interesting thing for people who to sound off on. I'm always curious about what folk's feelings are.

Anyway, as it is we have four dramatic interpretations of FotR to choose from unless I'm mighty mistook.

1. The Mind's Eye radio drama
2. The BBC Radio Drama
3. The Bakshi film
4. The Jackson film

I've worked out my favorite for each character (reserving the right to change my mind at a moment's notice). If anyone else is interested, please chime in. Also, please state if you haven't experienced any of the above versions. Keeping in mind, they're just your opinions on any given character/situation, and that each of the above is a distinct piece art, and so each is going to treat every character/situation differently. You're, of course, welcome to add new categories too. Your judgements should extend only as far as FotR goes (no fair thinking ahead as Jackson can't compete with your favor deigned from TT of X,Y or Z, and Bakshi can't compete with RotK.).

- Yazad opinions -

Gandalf: Mind's Eye (very close Jackson runner-up. Very close, maybe a tie)
Bilbo: Mind's Eye
Frodo: Bakshi
Sam: BBC
Pippin: Mind's Eye
Merry: Bakshi
Legolas: Mind's Eye
Gimli: Mind's Eye
Strider: Bakshi
Boromir: Jackson
Saruman: BBC
Gollum: Jackson
Elrond: Bakshi
Galadriel: BBC
Balrog: Jackson
Nazgul: Bakshi
Voices of the Nazgul: Bakshi
Orcs: Jackson

Favorite dramatic script (screenplay): Bakshi
Overall favorite Fellowship presentation: Mind's Eye
Yazad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 08:18 PM   #2
Darth Tater
The man

I'd give my award for everyone but Galadriel and Saruman to PJ's actors. Those two I prefer the BBC versions of.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 10:01 PM   #3
Luthien Tinuviel
Hobbit

*grins sheepishly* I shouldn't even be replying to this, seeing as the only one i have seen/heard is PJ's LOTR, so I cast my vote for all of PJ's actors. (but i have a sneaky suspicious feeling i would vote for PJ's actors, even if i had heard the others)
Of stars in shadow shimmering.
TinĂºviel was dancing there
To music of a pipe unseen,
And light of starts was in her hair,
And in her raiment glimmering

There Beren came from mountains cold,
And lost he wandered under leaves,
And where the Elven-river rolled.
He walked alone and sorrowing.
He peered between the hemlock-leaves
And saw in wonder flowers of gold
Upon her mantle and her sleeves,
And her hair like shadow following.

He sought her ever, wandering far
Where leaves or years were thickly strewn,
By light of moon and ray of star
In frosty heavens shivering.
Her mantle glinted in the moon.
And on a hill-top high and far
She danced, and at her feet was strewn
A mist of silver quivering.
Luthien Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 09:30 PM   #4
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
I'm with Luthien Tinuviel on this one- I've only seen/heard PJ's FotR, so I can't really vote.
Yazad: you seemed to like the Bakshi film a lot . . . which is interesting, cuz all the other ppl I know who have seen that disliked it.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 04:13 AM   #5
Yazad
Enting

Laurelyn, Yeah, I think maybe I just tend to go against the flow or something, 'cause most people hate the Bakshi film and the Mind's Eye radio drama, and I just can't understand it (even after they've explained themselves!).

Maybe it's just because I grew up listening/watching them so they're now part of my conciousness. There are certainly large problems with both of them, but I still prefer them to the BBC radio drama and the Jackson film (though I do believe they're all fantastic!).

I just managed to get hold of a first draft of the Bakshi screenplay. It's very interesting. I've only just started reading it, but it's kinda told backwards by Merry and Pippin as they relate it to Treebeard. Tom Bombadil and the Barrow Wights also make an appearance, I was surprised to see, and in a clever way that doesn't take much time. Still it's convoluted and might have irked people as much as leaving them out.

Sorry slightly off topic

Yazad
Old 01-23-2002, 05:53 AM   #6
Agburanar
Elf Lord

The radio play was definately better. The onlt character I really liked in the film was Bilbo, and he was in the radio play as well which just proves how he IS the genuine hobbit! Elijah wood and co. were pants pants pants, big spotty pants!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 12:08 PM   #7
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

I didn't like most of Jackson's interpretations of the characters. But other than the Bakshi film - I haven't listened to the others. I didn't like JP's Gandalf. Your selections for the Balrog - I loved him. gullum from what we saw, Borormir and the orcs - I agree I liked all them. I'm not sure if I really liked the Uruk-hai that much though - I guess I'll have to see in TT when they have more screen time.

I did think that Sean Astin did a pretty good job as Sam and I thought Elijah Wood made a pretty good Frodo (except for the "death" scenes and the Flight to the Ford).

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-24-2002 at 12:36 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 12:35 PM   #8
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

Tom Bombadil

I can only compare Bakshi's version, Jackson's movie, and my mind's eye. Also one more- the Rankin-Bass animated versions of the Hobbit and Return of the King.

I prefered Bakshi's Gandalf and Sam Gamgee to Jackson's. On the whole, Jackson did a much better job with the evil characters like the black riders, orcs and Balrog, except Boromir. Boromir in Viking garb- oh please, spare me! So far, In my humble opinion, nobody has done a good job with Strider.

This thread has made me curious about the radio versions. Thanks Yazad!
barrelrider110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 03:01 PM   #9
Yazad
Enting

Hello!

I'm glad to hear you're interested, Barrelrider, in the radio dramas. Good luck with them. Most people adore the BBC version and despise the Mind's Eye one. I've listened to the former twice and the latter scores of times, so simple exposure may have biased me. Still I just listened to the climactic scene at Mt. Doom from the BBC version on the way into work today, and there's no way anyone who wasn't in-the-know would have any clue what was going on until after the fact when the characters say, "Oh, now Gollum's gone for good, he fell into the fire" type of thing (Same with the Balrog scene). I'm flying in the face of popular opinion here, but I think the BBC version is somewhat poorly adapted, is overly melodramatic, is often confusing, is too sing-songy and often lacks passion. All that said, it's got a wonderful production and some great acting, and the only accurate to my tastes representation of Saruman I've seen or heard.

Most complaints about the Mind's Eye version are with the production and the actors. But still, on the whole, I think it is the best of them. If you can ignore Gandalf's absurd sounding magic, Sam's whiny voice (which eventually you get used to) and Frodo and Aragorn's mediocre acting, it ends up being rather good, IMO. Oh and Gildor and Company's absurd voices. The adaptation by Bernard Mayes (who plays Gandalf) is very good, I think, and sticks closest to the books, including Gildor, Maggot, Tom and the Barrow Wights. But, as I've said before, the real gem is Gail Chugg as the narrator (he also plays Gimli and Gollum). He is absolutely brilliant and does the best reading of some of the passages I've ever heard.

I think that also a lot of the vitriol which is thrown on this production comes because it sounds distinctively American. Much of the English feel is lost, the songs, the accents, etc. The electric guitar sound (bass, actually) might also irritate people. I think it's interesting. I've come to like the music, but I can see why others dislike it.

Regardless, and as ever, I suggest you watch and listen to everything and make your own judgements (assuming you can afford to do so!). Also I'll add another plug for the Recorded Books, Inc., unabridged readings by Rob Inglis. These are often available through public libraries in the States and can be bought through internet retailers (or rented through Recorded Books).

...more discussion...

I also liked Bakshi's Gandalf and Sam. It's a close run between Bakshi and the BBC for Sam. I personally think that Jackson played it too safe with Sam and he and Frodo seem as just friends. I didn't get much of a sense of Sam's dedication to his master. I liked Jackson's Gandalf, 'cause it was neat to see him played so tough, for the most part, although I don't think I've seen a Gandalf I didn't like. He's definitely a character which different artists can interpret differently, but which most of them make interesting. Still I liked the Mind's Eye version the best, 'cause he's the Gandalf I'd most like to have as my friend, tough and gentle with a sense of humor and a cool sounding voice.

There wasn't much Gollum in FotR, so it's tough to judge, but I think he was played very well (and looks cool) in Jackson's version. It'll be interesting to see how he develops (and holds up - he's got stiff competition - in the next film, I like the Gollum from all the dramatizations. The Rankin Bass mutated-frog version is a bit tough to stomach, but at least he's different and interesting..)

I didn't include the Rankin-Bass films in the judging because I was concentrating only on the characters' exposure in FotR. If I was to consider the R&B versions, the only characters who I think could be contenders might be Eowyn, Gandalf and maybe Bilbo, though I doubt any would be favored over the representations already available. Other than Eowyn I wasn't overly impressed with much from those films (she somehow stands out in my mind, though). Still, I'm very glad they were done, and they do kinda give me warm-fuzzies of a sort when I watch them because they remind me of childhood.

While I give Jackson the Balrog (far and away!), I think Bakshi's Nazgul are much cooler than Jackson's. Just my opinion of course, but I think they are more frightening, more sinister, and less "real". In the Ford scene (and on weathertop) they are truly terrifying. There are a couple scenes where the witch king just kinda lifts himself up in the horse and moves a bit when calling to Frodo, which is mesmerizing.

Yeah, the viking get-up is silly for Boromir, but I think he does a good job, and seems tougher in the Bakshi version. I still like Sean Bean better, but I much prefer the death sequence in the Bakshi version. It's painful and powerful. Hopefully many shots will be restored on the FotR DVD and we'll see Boromir in a bit tougher light. I didn't like the representation of Strider as a better fighter than Boromir.

Ack, I write to much (avoiding work, I guess).

Yazad
Old 06-24-2003, 11:16 AM   #10
Aragorn_iz_cool
Elven Warrior

This is rather off topic, but why are you all refering to Aragorn as Strider? Only the hobbits call him that in the books. Bakshi is the cartoon, right. I only saw the first part of it, up to Gandalf arriving at Helms Deep. Sam isn't supposed to be that ugly!!! PJ's film was better with all charactors except Elrond.
Aragorn_iz_cool is offline   Reply With Quote