Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-06-2004, 05:08 AM   #321
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Hi Thorin II, welcome!
Quote:
Originally posted by Thorin II
I vote for Gil-galad. He wasn't as powerful as some of his predecessors, but I respect him for leading the Elves even as they started to decline. I don't think many (or any) of the previous High Kings would've formed an alliance with Men.
Gil-Galad was great. But he wasn't the only High King to make alliance with Men. Both Fingolfin and Fingon had Men as allies, and so had others of the Elf Lords of old: Finrod, Maedhros ...
Old 01-06-2004, 03:00 PM   #322
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

gil-galad was the only elf-king, other than fëanor and maedhros, that realized that the only way to achieve true victory over an enemy was to make an attempt, even if costly, to utterly defeat him... and unlike the other two, he didn't have the shortcomings that made their attempts failures
Old 01-12-2004, 11:51 AM   #323
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Gandalf

This thread, "Favorite Elf King" has more posts than all the chapters of the Silmarrilion project combined.
Now i might understand that if it were filled with pics of Elf hunks and babes, (like a pic of Fingolfin in full armor and battle wrath) but otherwisaeit seems a misapllication of poster's attention.

Oh, and yes, Fingolfin, definitly Fingolfin.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 12:35 PM   #324
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
This thread, "Favorite Elf King" has more posts than all the chapters of the Silmarrilion project combined.
Now i might understand that if it were filled with pics of Elf hunks and babes, (like a pic of Fingolfin in full armor and battle wrath) but otherwisaeit seems a misapllication of poster's attention.

Oh, and yes, Fingolfin, definitly Fingolfin.
Now Lefty, you must understand too, that this thread is also about a year and a half older than the Sil project.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 01:13 PM   #325
Artanis

And I assume there are some heavy FF discussions in here, with one particularly stub... err... active participant.

Last edited by Artanis : 01-12-2004 at 01:17 PM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 01:18 PM   #326
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
And I assume there are some heavy FF discussions in here, with one particularly stub... err... active participant.
Yeah, that dang Ruinel and her fantasies.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-12-2004, 01:26 PM   #327
Artanis

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Yeah, that dang Ruinel and her fantasies.
Oh yeah, I should have said two instead of one in above post.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:28 PM   #328
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
I can't imagine who else you could be refering to.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-12-2004, 01:30 PM   #329
Artanis

Quote:
I can't imagine who else you could be refering to.
Doesn't matter, everyone else can.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:04 PM   #330
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Would you be suggesting the the Sil project discussion will increase with the next chapter: Of Beren and Luthien, becasue of a certain sidekick of the two protagonists?
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 05:22 PM   #331
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
Would you be suggesting the the Sil project discussion will increase with the next chapter: Of Beren and Luthien, becasue of a certain sidekick of the two protagonists?
You never know.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-12-2004, 06:36 PM   #332
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

What about your least favorite Elf king? As unpopular as this will make me, I vote for Feanor. He allowed his pride to get in the way of his incredible gifts.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:36 PM   #333
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
That is sad beyond words.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 08:44 PM   #334
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
What about your least favorite Elf king? As unpopular as this will make me, I vote for Feanor. He allowed his pride to get in the way of his incredible gifts.
As much as I absoluetly ADORE my dear Feanaro, I have to agree....perhaps if he didn't ride on to basically die fighting Balrogs, we would have seen what kind of king he would have been....
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 09:46 PM   #335
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

---------------------------------------------------------------------

You could be right. It's rumored Melkor once commented,
"You can't do business with that hot-head Feanor Corleone."

But for my part, although I don't think they were ever Kings, most disliked would be the Nasty Boys, Celegorm and Caranthir. Caranthir certainly had his daddy's temper.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 01-12-2004 at 09:48 PM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 02:07 AM   #336
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Thingol.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-13-2004, 03:57 AM   #337
Artanis

Quote:
Thingol.
Hm. I have to agree with you. Though I don't think he was that bad. But worse than rest of the bunch, yes. That is, as Tuor said, if Celegorm and Caranthir had been kings I would vote for them. Probably Celegorm.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:01 PM   #338
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i'd probably say the celegorm was one of the worst... even his dog turned against him!

in terms of success/failure, though i like the character very much i'd have to say that in some ways fingolfin was one of the worst, since he squandered the opportunity to take out melkor when he had the chance... probably the best and only chance of the elves in the first age
Old 01-14-2004, 07:51 PM   #339
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Thingol.
Thingol certainly had his faults (including pride, like Feanor), but I don't think he caused as much misery as Feanor did. He may have been bull-headed and unreasonable, but he wasn't arrogant enough to refuse the Valar.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:37 AM   #340
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

Turgon because although he was prideful, he did do the sensable thing and kept out of the way of Morgoth.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote