Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-23-2002, 06:17 PM   #61
L@ur@y Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Gollum

I didn't understand when I firt joined but know I understand.
L@ur@y Elven Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 06:03 AM   #62
Vortûriel
Sapling

I tried reading the Sil before I knew what it was and found it impossible, that was about 5 years ago. I was actually really disappointed as I was expecting another LOTR. I picked it up again about 5 months ago with full knowledge of what it was and that it wasn't going to be 'easy-reading' and read it in about a month. I am so so so glad that I did, it has added depth to everything else I have read by Tolkien and fuelled my obsession more than anything else I have seen.

I think everyone has their own way of absorbing it, I managed it by trying to get the gist as I went along without being too concerned about little bits of detail that I wasn't sure about (although I did go back to the geneology charts - as has already been said all the Fs are mucho confusing) and reading each chapter as a separate story with a running theme. I intend to read it again as soon as I have read BOLT 1 and 2 to see if I can get more out of it. I believe it is one of those books that you will get more from each time you read it. Just to add my bit regarding the Valaquenta and the Ainulindale, they are tricky but I think a lot of the book wouldn't have made sense without reading them first.
Vortûriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 06:16 AM   #63
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Welcome Vortûriel! You may want to introduce yourself in the Newbies thread in the General Messages forum.

I'm glad you made your way through the Sil, so that you could volunteer to do a chapter in the Sil project.

Is that Luthien escaping from the tree-house in your avatar?
Old 12-27-2002, 06:24 AM   #64
Vortûriel
Sapling

Thanks for the welcome Artanis, I will pop over to the newbies thread in just a mo, didn't know about that so thanks for the advice.

Yes I was lucky enough to find a picture of my favourite character in my favourite part of the Sil illustrated by my favourite artist so thought it would be fitting to use as it gives an indication of me in relation to Tolkien's work!

I'll pop over to the Newbies section now as I am in great danger of taking this discussion off topic!
Vortûriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 07:45 AM   #65
Alquagarwaen
Sapling

Strider

Is really very hard, but it is so admirable the Tolkien´s job, it there where I come back to my child age and discover every time that I open the book a world of fantasy where I can dream and play to the hero.Is there where all my question are answered.
And when I enter in this site I feel a little closer of that amazing world.

That thinking cames to me every time that I think that mybrain is going to blow up, and I rediscover that Tolkien maked it cost.
Alquagarwaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 03:32 PM   #66
The Lady of the Wood
Enting

Sam Gamgee

i know what you mean it is VERY confusing!
The Lady of the Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 01:55 AM   #67
Aryaveiel Skycryer
Sapling

Everybody's right, it is worth it. But you can skip the Aiundale (I know I spelled that wrong. It's midnight and I'm too lazy to look it up). There is a summary of it in the beginning of the Valaquenta! Ooh it made me so mad when I read that whole chapter only to find a summary on the next page!
Aryaveiel Skycryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 11:58 AM   #68
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I wouldn't recommend skipping anything. It is a difficult read. I would think that by skipping any material in this book would make it even more difficult to understand.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote