Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-15-2002, 12:41 AM   #1
Silverstripe
Empress of the Writewraiths

Location: Running around somewhere inside my head. So what are YOU doing here?!
Writewights

Calling all Writewights! This is a thread for everyone who loves to write, but tends to get a bit carried away when they're into a story, and winds up working on it long into the night ... or all through the night! I call this "suffering from Writewrath" or "becoming a Writewight." So come on in and discuss the many joys and frustrations of being a Writewight.

Last edited by Silverstripe : 11-15-2002 at 12:43 AM.
Silverstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 01:25 AM   #2
Fred Baggins
Belladona Gamgee of the night sky

Location: second star to the right and straight on till morning.
*Bangs head with 2 by 2* Writers block...can't think...
Pacha:Most likely.
Cusco:Bring it on.
~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`
Yes, I'm female. Fred Baggins is my NICKNAME!
"The reason of the unreasonable treatment of my reason so enfeebles my reason, that with reason I complain of your beauty."~Don Quixote
"Once upon a time there was a magical land where it never rained. The End."~from the movie 'Holes'
()_))_Crayola_))_>
Fred Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 01:44 AM   #3
Silverstripe

You, too, eh? *Joins Fred and gleefully bangs head on 2 by 2 over and over*
Old 11-15-2002, 02:05 AM   #4
Fred Baggins
Belladona Gamgee of the night sky

Location: second star to the right and straight on till morning.
I wonder if an after dinner dinner snack would help? *Gets a big bagful of mushrooms and other stuff*
Pacha:Most likely.
Cusco:Bring it on.
Yes, I'm female. Fred Baggins is my NICKNAME!
"The reason of the unreasonable treatment of my reason so enfeebles my reason, that with reason I complain of your beauty."~Don Quixote
"Once upon a time there was a magical land where it never rained. The End."~from the movie 'Holes'
()_))_Crayola_))_>
Fred Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 02:33 AM   #5
Silverstripe

YUM! Mushrooms! *Runs to steal Fred Baggins's mushrooms, then realizes she doesn't know where Fred lives* Oh well, I'll have to get my own mushrooms. I think I'm going to have another Writewrath night. I'm writing a story and one of my main characters, a centaur, just leapt off the computer and said "Oooh! Write about me some more! Me!" and now all the other characters are demanding that I do the same for them.
Old 11-15-2002, 04:00 PM   #6
katya
Elven Maiden

yeah i do that too. its fun to write but since i naturally function better at night...yeah....actually i told myself i was going to go work on my story right now.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 08:11 PM   #7
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Get carried away when writing? Not me.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:37 PM   #8
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I am currently addicted to reading and writing Lord of the Rings fanfiction. I've written a few stories, but I'm sure they are quite stupid.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:42 PM   #9
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

(Fred do you have another 2 by 2? I broke the last one )

I'm currently writing a parody of Sir Thomas Moore's Utopia, it's a much bigger project that I thought

Hence the Late Night 'Mooting

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 11:43 PM   #10
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

I love writing, although it seems that I am better at writing essays and literary criticisms for school, etc, than I am at writing fiction. It's like if I'm given a topic and some guidelines I'm great, but then when I have to write fiction or something like a short story, you know, it just doesn't work! I can write poetry though, and I love it. I think I'm good with poetry because I write it from life experiences and stuff.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 12:16 AM   #11
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Quote:
I love writing, although it seems that I am better at writing essays and literary criticisms for school, etc, than I am at writing fiction. It's like if I'm given a topic and some guidelines I'm great, but then when I have to write fiction or something like a short story, you know, it just doesn't work! I can write poetry though, and I love it. I think I'm good with poetry because I write it from life experiences and stuff.
Shadowfax, you took the words right out of my mouth!! That's scary, I'm exactly the same way I LOVE poetry! But I can only write it at night - that's when I get my inspiration. So far I have written about 20 poems, since I started writing seriously last February. They're not all that great, but I enjoy writing them and the mean a lot to me. Actually, 2 have been published, but I haven't submitted anything since last year.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."

Last edited by galadriel88 : 11-16-2002 at 12:47 AM.
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 02:27 AM   #12
Silverstripe

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
(Fred do you have another 2 by 2? I broke the last one )

I'm currently writing a parody of Sir Thomas Moore's Utopia, it's a much bigger project that I thought

Hence the Late Night 'Mooting
I don't know if Fred has another 2 by 2, but I do! Here you go, everybody. *Hands out 2 by 2s to Coney and the other Writewights* Use them in case of writer's block, boredom, or any other time you want to (so there!)

*Sigh* Sometimes stories just jump out at me and pester me 'til I write them (or at least START writing them) ... and if a story hasn't done that, I can't really get into writing it.
Anyone else get ideas for stories from really odd things?
I got the idea for one of my stories from getting stuck in an elevator (parallel dimensions -- don't ask).
Old 11-16-2002, 10:53 AM   #13
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Anyone else get ideas for stories from really odd things?
I get my ideas from people, who are the oddest things there are

I wrote a story last night for the first time in months! I've been having my worst-ever case of writer's block (if there's banging of heads going on, I'm a part of it!) and then a little story just came. It was very short, but it was so much fun to write... you know how it is
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 11:24 AM   #14
Silverstripe

Quote:
Originally posted by sun-star
I get my ideas from people, who are the oddest things there are

I wrote a story last night for the first time in months! I've been having my worst-ever case of writer's block (if there's banging of heads going on, I'm a part of it!) and then a little story just came. It was very short, but it was so much fun to write... you know how it is
I do that, too.

And here is a 2 by 2 for you. *hands sun-star a 2 by 2*
Old 11-16-2002, 02:46 PM   #15
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

Saw your thread Silverstripe and had to come on- you know how I love writing. I've nearly finished my LOTR fan fic and I want to post it for you guys to read but I'm scared!!! Firstly its v long. Secondly its not exactly what I'd call true to the story and I do have to alter a few points to make it work. Thirdly I don't know if the boss will let me post it because of the kids who visit this site- its a bit risky in places (More issues than full blown you know what though!) I tend to write at night because its so quiet and you have nowhere else to be- its great. Mx
Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 03:43 PM   #16
katya
Elven Maiden

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney

thats really weird! i was working on the same thing! ...except for i kind of abandoned working on it because i didnt really have a story. i do remember there were elves in it, but not tolkien elves. it was really stupid.
Old 11-16-2002, 10:27 PM   #17
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by katya
thats really weird! i was working on the same thing! ...except for i kind of abandoned working on it because i didnt really have a story. i do remember there were elves in it, but not tolkien elves. it was really stupid.
I've "stolen" Moore's concept of society..........thought it might be fun to add a little anarchism to it (basically the story revolves around the invasion of my version of Utopia, focusing on how my major characters deal with the situation). No elves in my book (it's hard enough inventing new human cultures nevermind other species, I'll leave that to Tolkien )

Well back to the inspiration, *slap* ow.........*thud* oh there you are my trusty 2 by 2!!!

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 09:48 AM   #18
katya
Elven Maiden

I get inspiration a lot if I think about a weird situation, and what would happen, then I realize that "hey, I could write a story about that". And I also get inspiration from watching people. Sometimes songs or artwork inspire me too.
One story came from basically a bunch of different experiences that I thought were interesting, basically. Like when we had this weird little toxic watse disposal thing going on. Of course that never made it into the story after all. Sometimes songs or artwork inspire me too.
Old 11-17-2002, 10:23 AM   #19
Silverstripe

When I write fantasy, my problem is often that I tend to go off and describe everybody's history and culture, and never do get to the story. Once I started writing a history for one of my worlds, and it was supposed to be short story length, but by the time I had it all written down, the history itself was book length. But writing "current events" is harder *something dawns on Silver as she writes this* Maybe I should write a "dry version" of what I'll be writing as part of the history?
Old 11-17-2002, 05:59 PM   #20
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Quote:
Originally posted by galadriel88
Shadowfax, you took the words right out of my mouth!! That's scary, I'm exactly the same way I LOVE poetry! But I can only write it at night - that's when I get my inspiration. So far I have written about 20 poems, since I started writing seriously last February. They're not all that great, but I enjoy writing them and the mean a lot to me. Actually, 2 have been published, but I haven't submitted anything since last year.
That's amzing! All of my friends are the other way around, they can write fiction way better than essays, etc. Cool. So you've got poems published! That's really awesome. I have 1 of mine published in a book for ESL students. Ah, I love writing.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote