Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-12-2002, 12:10 PM   #1
Play Girl
Elven Warrior

12 hour spectacular!!!

Ok so I am getting a bit ahead of myself here but who here would be willing to sit down in the cinema to watch each movie back-to-back-to-back. I would but I am a bit mad. But wait I hear you cry if each movie is 3hrs long how can that possibly be a twelve hour spectacular? Where are the other three hours coming form (apart from a very long bathroom break?) Well my fellow EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO - what if they showed the directors cuts back-to-back-to-back! Wow! What a movie marathon that would be!
Lets start a petition to get all the cinemas to show it like that!
luv
Play Girl
xxx

Frodo lives!
Play Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 12:19 PM   #2
Gerbil
Elf Lord

I am sure some places will do them back to back
But only fringe cinemas.

Dunno about where you are, but in London we occasionally get things like all the Indiana Jones shown together, star wars, and (unbelievably!) Star Trek (what's that up to, 8 films or something???).

It will happen!

BUT! By the time it does I'll have a nice projection TV and top of the range sound system so it'll be better to watch it at home
Old 01-12-2002, 03:35 PM   #3
Churl
Elven Warrior

At a risk of sounding a bit dense, what does "EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO" stand for? I'm a sucker for ridiculously long, contrived acronyms.
Churl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 05:43 PM   #4
Nenya
Hobbit

seeing them all back to back would be great, as long as they have toilet breaks...

Maybe we should campaign and then go en masse...have our own private entmoot viewing somewhere...now that would be cool (except for the airfairs!)
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 01:10 AM   #5
Kamyel
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Churl
At a risk of sounding a bit dense, what does "EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO" stand for? I'm a sucker for ridiculously long, contrived acronyms.
Ah, yes, the EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO. That is an abbreviation for, I believe it was bropous's genious idea of what to call us Tolkien Fans. Which is, "Extremely insightful and deeply reflective individuals of rare character and quality who share a deep and abiding knowledge of literary masterworks of extreme detail and delightful creativity, without whom the incredible works of a tremendously talented Oxford professor would fade into obscurity"?

Last edited by Kamyel : 01-13-2002 at 01:12 AM.
Kamyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 06:51 AM   #6
Churl
Elven Warrior

Two things: 1) great acronym, and 2) if any of you who use it type it naturally (instead of copy/pasting it), then you scare me. In a good way, of course.
Churl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 12:38 PM   #7
Play Girl
Elven Warrior

Yes I confess I do copy and paste it but it is a great name for fans of Tolkiens work. We wont get into a discussion about that here though as it is in the books forum already.
So back on topic I think it is a great idea that we should have a face to face moot! Well maby one for each country but a world wide tolkien moot would be fantastic!!!!
Now how do we go setting that up?
Can't believe we have to wait a whole other two years to see them all back to back to back. Ahh well as they say on the guiness ad good things come to those who wait.
Play Girl
xxx

Frodo lives!
Old 01-13-2002, 01:08 PM   #8
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

....all good things.....

Great quote. I can tell you're a girl with class. :-)
Old 01-13-2002, 01:48 PM   #9
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Speaking of the Guiness ad, I wonder how many people sat in the FotR and thought the whole ford scene had been ripped from the guiness ad?

I noticed also the ford scene was outsourced - makes me wonder if indeed the same company was responsible for both.
Old 01-13-2002, 04:31 PM   #10
Liviaine
Elven Warrior

I agree with Nenya. I would go see it, but I'd need time to use the restroom and not miss ANY of the movies. Not a second of them. Maybe a twelve hour showing, with five minutes in between each movie?
Liviaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 07:23 PM   #11
Schvenn Of The Schack
Hobbit

Ummm

That's what state of the art, 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound systems, DVD players and component, digital, flat screen televisions are for.
That way you can pause it whenever YOU want to.
Oh and couches are way more comfortable.
Schvenn Of The Schack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 08:19 PM   #12
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Home cinema is ace, but it's not the same as seeing a film on the huge screen of a cinema

As for 5 minute breaks between films? Think you girlies will need a bit longer than that!

A slightly OT point - what were everyone's opinions on the actual quality of the film itself. Not the film, but the film stock it was shown on?

Dunno about you but I have found modern films a major disappointment - there are blemishes all over the damn place
Old 01-14-2002, 02:52 PM   #13
Play Girl
Elven Warrior

Although watching a movie at home is great by pausing it in any place at any time but I believe that the movie will lose alot of its power when transfered onto a smaller screen. Which is why I intend to see it as many times as possible before it leaves the silver screen.
Yes i did believe that the horses was a big rip off of the Guiness ad but that in turn was probably a rip off of the book.
And to reply to Gerbil I know plenty of boys that spend longer in the bathroom than I do. But I agree if girls will wear mascara they will have to re-aply it before the movie is over. *sniff*
luv
Play Girl
xxx

Frodo lives!
Old 01-14-2002, 05:59 PM   #14
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Yup big screen is where it's at. I am still kicking myself for not seeing Gladiator at the cinema

As for your bathroom time Play girl, that's just cos you are obviously a natural beauty
Old 01-14-2002, 06:02 PM   #15
Eowyn, The Lioness
Enting

Arwen Undomiel Good question!

Quote:
Originally posted by Churl
Well, what does it mean???
Eowyn, The Lioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 06:11 PM   #16
Eowyn, The Lioness
Enting

oh. I just read the explaination.

never mind
Eowyn, The Lioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 02:45 PM   #17
Play Girl
Elven Warrior

Missed out on big screen Gladiator aswell! arrrr!

Gerbil what you say is very true - about me being a natural beauty - but no one is that nice without wanting something! What do you want?
Mind you the fact that most of the boys spend longer in the bathroom is that in Aberdeen they all seem to be a bunch of mingers.
sigh
Play Girl
xxx

Frodo lives!
Old 01-15-2002, 09:43 PM   #18
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Play Girl
Gerbil what you say is very true - about me being a natural beauty - but no one is that nice without wanting something! What do you want?

Hey! So suspicious!
Compliments from me are a gift, not a favour
Besides, it's a bit hit 'n miss, I have no idea what you look like!
Quote:
Mind you the fact that most of the boys spend longer in the bathroom is that in Aberdeen they all seem to be a bunch of mingers.
sigh
Play Girl
xxx
Well Londoners are pretty grim too. Oh wait, I'm one of them.
*thinks*
Nope, I stand by my comment.
See for yourself: http://www.theburrow.co.uk/images/gerbil.jpg
Old 01-15-2002, 11:43 PM   #19
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

12 Hour Spectacular??

I'm picturing a 4 Hectare lawn with 2 HUGE screens and Dolby 5.1 Mega speakers. You pay for the package and get a throwpillow for free at the entrance as well as extra blankets for rent.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lĂșmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 04:23 PM   #20
Play Girl
Elven Warrior

wow! that sounds like a great idea! Right when does the movie start? How do I get tickests? Can't we just hold it in my backgarden instead and i get to keep all the equipment? But most importantly do the throwpillows have Frodo lives stiched into them?
Lets have a gigantic entmoot movie showing - then we will be spared the "got him" when Aragorn finally kills the U-H and the pantomine booing of Sauron and the whole "he's behind you" thing in Moria.
luv
Play Girl
xxx

Frodo lives!