Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-03-2001, 02:28 PM   #1
andustar
Elven Warrior

Phillip Pulman?

Anyone here read the His Dark Materials trilogy?

1)Northern Lights (called the Goldan Compass in America for some odd reason )
2) The Subtle Knife
3) The Amber Spyglass

I reccomend you do if you haven't
Old 09-03-2001, 10:14 PM   #2
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

No, I haven't. Just haven't gotten 'round to them yet.

What did you like about them?
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 03:28 PM   #3
andustar
Elven Warrior

Well... I just enjoyed them, and thought you might

er, as to why... the books were well written, exciting... obviously carefully planned from the very start... and in the Amber Spyglass some very, er, interesting ideas about God and angels. I won't go into them here, but I promise you they will surprise you they make the third book very much a love or hate thing. But I think the others can be enjoyed by just about anyone.
Old 09-07-2001, 05:45 PM   #4
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Thanks! I'll definitely have to put these on the "To Read" list.
Old 09-08-2001, 10:24 PM   #5
webwizard333
Elf Lord

I made a thread about this along time ago (I think it was deleted when we moved to here). Most people find the third book so difficult to read because they don't read the book for fun. They take everything far too seriously. They take it far too seriously, its like trying to get rid of Tolkien or Lewis, because their worlds had made up religions (do you know if thos are Philip'strue ideas on religion?)
Old 09-29-2001, 04:26 PM   #6
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

I just got 'Northern Lights' from my school libary, so far I am finding it interesting. I just don't like the way the Dæmons can change form so freely. Some parts are creepy though, like the photo of the child in the snow and the 'Gobblers'.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2001, 10:57 AM   #7
webwizard333
Elf Lord

Just out of curiousity, what do you mean by finding the form changing feaky? I didn't get that feeling so I don't understand what you mean.
Old 09-30-2001, 11:07 AM   #8
Comic Book Guy

It seems to me that they should just have one form, to represent their personality of themselves and their Master. I know this sort of happens as the Dæmons get older and more mature.
Old 10-24-2001, 04:18 PM   #9
Comic Book Guy

Does anybody know why there are quotes from later on in the Amber Spyglass? I believe its only in the UK version. It spoils it a bit too much I think.
Old 11-11-2001, 09:18 AM   #10
Tailin
Sapling

nope!

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'd just thought I'd say that I think it's a great series, I just finished the subtle knife, and it was great. I was going to buy the Amber Spyglass, but I just haven't gotten around to it. Sorry..........

On another subject, I would like to say that the bond between Daemon and People are just a little similiar to the bond between Aes Sedai and Gaidin in the Wheel of Time. The stuff about sensing the others emotion, that stuff. It's not similiar by much, bu a little.

And, on another subject, I would like to say that The Fancloth from the WoT is very similiar to the Elvencloaks in LoTR. The stuff about melting into the surroundings and stuff like that, you follow?
Old 01-23-2002, 11:28 AM   #11
Talera
Sapling

Philip Pullman's series is one of my all time favourites! I cried my eyes out for the last 3 chapters of Amber Spyglass it was just so incredibly sad. But, if it hadn't ended like that (dont' want to give too much away for those who haven't read it yet) I guess I would have been unsatisfied as if he'd done it the nice way it would have been too much of a cutsey 'nothing the way life really is' kind of ending - do you get what I'm trying to say?! Not sure if I'm making myself clear!

Definitely a fantastic series though. Have you read his other series, comprised of - The Ruby in the Smoke, The Shadow in the North and the Tiger in the Well? Not quite as good as His Dark Materials but worth a look.

One extra thing, having a Daemon must be brilliant! It would be really interesting to find out what shape my daemon would be.
Talera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 10:48 PM   #12
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

I cried my eyes out too! Any other ending wouldn't have been right for the integrety of the characters or the plot.

I just finished the books a couple of weeks ago. I started on a Friday night and just kept going through the weekend. Now my mom is reading them.

Pullman's ideas about religion are very interesting. In some ways, I would think these books would be more upsetting to fundamentalist Christians than Harry Potter. I'll not say more to avoid any spoilers for those who haven't read them. But I say as much as I do as a Christian who was a little disconcerted by the ideas myself - disconcerted and challenged.
Old 01-24-2002, 02:31 AM   #13
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

LOL, I'm another one of those who has 'cried her eyes out'! WOOOHOOO! It's good to know other people have read Philip Pullman. His Dark Materials is one of my favorite trilogies.

Quote:
On another subject, I would like to say that the bond between Daemon and People are just a little similiar to the bond between Aes Sedai and Gaidin in the Wheel of Time. The stuff about sensing the others emotion, that stuff. It's not similiar by much, bu a little.
I don't think that's how it's meant to be. The daemon and the person are not separate. They're one being. I think the daemon is kind of like the soul, or consciousness, or the person (they do say that Dust is consciousness, and that Dust and daemons are sort of the same thing). So I don't really see it as being like the Aes Sedai and the Gaidin.

Was anyone else a little confused at the end? It seems to me that the whole biblical prophecy thing didn't come out very clearly. How did Mary play the serpent? When did Lyra fall? How was she Eve, exactly? It was a bit anti-climatic after all the foreshadowing and prophesizing going on. That's all the criticism I think I can muster . . .

Pullman and Tolkien share that wonderfully frustrating talent of mixing happiness and sadness together until you want to scream but love it anyway.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 06:55 PM   #14
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
I've read the Golden Compass and the Subtle Knife. They're great.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 11:18 PM   #15
Comic Book Guy

I was Rather confused by the Ending also, It didn't make a lot of sense and questions went unanswered, I.E The Republic of Heaven. It has recently won a Book of the Year awards in both Childrens and Adult literature.
Old 01-28-2002, 06:39 PM   #16
Araethirion
Hobbit

Location: Mirkwood! Ok, ok... California. What's the difference? Errr... nevermind.
Its called 'The Golden Compass' in America because the Alethiometer is a "Golden Compass", and it fits with the other titles more because the titles are nicknames [[except for TAS]] of the materials, i.e., Golden Compass = Alethiometer, Subtle Knife = some really long, confusing name that I can't remember how you spell it. Æthirelot or something... I forget. ANYWAY, I love all of the books, escpecially TAS, the ending was VERY sad, but just before that it was really happy. My heart skipped a few beats when they had to leave each other... *sigh*
Araethirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 02:45 AM   #17
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Yeah, the ending of TAS was really, really great. My favorite is still TSK, though. I'm in love with Citagazze. I'd live there if it weren't for the those stupid Spectres . . .

Just a question: Which would you least like to meet: A Spectre or the Ring of Power?

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

Old 01-29-2002, 09:04 PM   #18
Araethirion
Hobbit

Location: Mirkwood! Ok, ok... California. What's the difference? Errr... nevermind.
Prolly a specter; if it was right now. If it was in a few months [[when I turn 13]] the Ring of Power. Then I'd just throw it to someone else and run

FRODO LIVES!!
Araethirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 10:57 PM   #19
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I'd rather meet The One Ring. At least it wouldn't suck out my soul right away. . .

My favorite book is The Golden Compass/Norther Lights, but I think my favorite part in all three is when they reforge the knife. Reminiscent of the reforging of Narsil/Anduril. . .

I almost cried at the end of Amber Spyglass! . . .and I rarely cry at books. . .VERY rarely. The only book at which I actually cried is LotR.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 11:32 PM   #20
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I'm just getting my mom to start the series. Can't wait to have long discussions about the nature of daemons and Dust. One of the best endings ever, I think I may even have liked it more than the ending to LotR.