Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-06-2009, 01:04 AM   #1
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

"Temporary" Venting Thread V

Let me do the honours and open the doors to the next instalment of the "Temporary" Venting Thread. The previous incarnation, which just hit a 1000 posts, can be found here.

This is actually the 7th version of its kind. Elfmaster XK started the original thread way back in 2002, which was followed by five "temporary" offshoots. But since the last thread was officially known as the fourth one, this one will be attributed the number V.
V for Venting!

So for the sake of your health and sanity, don't keep your thoughts and troubles bottled up inside. Vent them here.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Ventventventventventvent...

oh wait, I don't have one right now ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

What the heck, people!? Brand new Vent Thread open all day, and no vents?!? Start COMPLAINING already! What, have 'Mooters suddenly become an exceedingly cheery lot?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:50 AM   #4
Jonathan

Maybe you have that effect on people Gwai
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Happy - pizza for dinner!

Oh wait, this is the venting thread ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-07-2009, 11:11 PM   #6
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
Happy - pizza for dinner!

Oh wait, this is the venting thread ...
Stop it! Stopitstopitstopit!!!!! You're RUINING THE THREAD, YOU GUUUYS!!! *runs away and slams the door behind him*

Here, I'll set us back on the right track .

I got annoyed with this girl I know who is a wonderful singer, but SO scornful of other people. I think she feels like she deserves much more, and that other people are getting lucky... But the fact is that (in my opinion, which could be totally wrong) she is not a particularly hard worker, her personality is very quirky... which can be fun but isn't really a very professional personality, and she is VERY overweight. From what I understand she's working on that, but I've seen her every week for the last few months and I haven't really noticed a difference.

... okay so that's like the tiniest vent ever because it didn't actually annoy me very much at all, and I don't really care what she thinks about other singers, BUT YOU GUYS NEEDED SOMEONE TO SET THIS THREAD STRAIGHT. So I did meh job. You're welcome.

Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:46 AM   #7
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
... and she is VERY overweight. From what I understand she's working on that, but I've seen her every week for the last few months and I haven't really noticed a difference.
Maybe that's why.

Vent, vent, vent... do I have one? Ah yes, my driving instructor called me yesterday to ask if we could move my lesson. I didn't want to, but if I didn't I AGAIN wouldn't have a class. I didn't have class last week either.
I can't get him to understand that I took (and pay for) a speed course on purpose either, because I ONLY HAVE A FEW WEEKS OF RELATIVE CALM LEFT!!!

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:55 AM   #8
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Maybe that's why.
Just what I was thinking; if you didn't see for a few months, then saw her again, you're more likely to notice a difference. We don't see change as much when it's happening right before our eyes.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:54 PM   #9
Rían

Vent - house is rather messy, laundry piled up, and I gotta get cleaning - we have some people coming over tonight. The kids have been off school this week and it's hit me, too - I've been totally lazy!

Old 10-08-2009, 05:21 PM   #10
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

There's far too much to do at work.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #11
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

There's a girl at school that I think sort of likes me, and I think she's fun but she's also waaaay 'cup half empty' a lot of the time. Pessimism and what not. I could not see her and I ever becoming -that- close.

But I'm never really sure if someone is hitting on me or not, so I always feel a little awkward if I start to suspect it because I don't particularly want to encourage it. But if they're not, then I don't want to seem standoffish.

Ironically the only girl I'm really interested in probably doesn't have any interest in me, AND she has a long-time boyfriend. Oh, cruel irony.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:12 AM   #12
Jonathan

Quote:
But I'm never really sure if someone is hitting on me or not, so I always feel a little awkward if I start to suspect it because I don't particularly want to encourage it. But if they're not, then I don't want to seem standoffish.
You feel awkward so you're putting up some balance act, weighing "no encouraging" and "no standoffish" against one another. But is it really necessary? What's the worst that could happen and would that really be likely?

Just be yourself Tessar You won't come across as either too encouraging or standoffish and even if you did, you shouldn't make that a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
Ironically the only girl I'm really interested in probably doesn't have any interest in me, AND she has a long-time boyfriend. Oh, cruel irony.
Maybe there's comfort in knowing that sort of things happens to like everyone at some point
Old 10-09-2009, 08:51 PM   #13
katya
Elven Maiden

Quote:
I think from now on, I'm going to lean more on the standoffish side. I got asked out by a co-worker the other day (I don't think I was being encouraging at all, he just wasn't reading my signals..) and for the first 5 minutes I was flattered, but now I'm just extremely irritated. I have to see him at school all the time and he's all trying to hard to be cool about it and I just want to not talk to him ever. I wouldn't have gone out with him even if I wasn't already happily in a relationship. It's like, thanks a lot dumbass, for making me avoid the teacher's lounge now. I guess maybe I'm childish for thinking it's so awkward but since I'm not attracted to him at all I feel creeped out.

On the other hand, when this cute little high school boy was being friendly with me, I might have been more encouraging than I should have (or rather, less discouraging). I'm a terrible person. >_<
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:57 AM   #14
Rían

argh - my son beat me AGAIN at chess!!!!

(little stinker! )

Old 10-09-2009, 04:54 AM   #15
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

I can't sleep.

Seriously, i never have problems with insomnia. But tonight (this morning??!?!), i do. I think it's because i fell asleep very early, and in the wrong place. I was feeling under the weather and curled up on the couch with a blanket and two cats, where i accidentally stayed until 2am. When i finally went to bed, i couldn't shut my brain off. I was lying there thinking about random things i needed to do. After more than an hour i finally stopped fighting the inevitability of getting up, and just did. Honestly i've been wafting around my house as if it's midday, doing odd little things like shopping lists and such I need to get a grip.
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

"Ye who believe in affection that hopes, and endures, and is patient,
Ye who believe in the beauty and strength of woman's devotion,
List to the mournful tradition still sung by the pines of the forest ... "

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

Voronwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:31 AM   #16
Rían

Unbelievable. When will all this stop?

I just fell today, and now my shoulder is worse! I mean, a full-on fall! How often does that happen? And how often does that happen when one already has a torn rotator cuff? There was a puddle of water in the garage that I didn't see because I was carrying groceries, and we have one of those smooth garage floors, and I slipped and fell. The good thing was that because I was carrying stuff, I didn't throw out my arms to catch myself, which would have probably been worse. The bad thing is that now I've probably further damaged the shoulder. I'm up at 2:30 am now because I can't sleep because it hurts, even with pain killers.

I hate Arizona. It's been simply miserable since we've moved here. To be fair, there have been good things that have happened, but they're difficult good things, if that makes sense. Not many fun, relaxing wonderful times here - I hate it here *sigh*

I got the surgery date set today - Dec 4th, which oddly enough is exactly one year from my foot surgery.

Last edited by Rían : 10-13-2009 at 05:32 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:37 AM   #17
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
Unbelievable. When will all this stop?

I am praying for you!

Quote:
I hate Arizona. It's been simply miserable since we've moved here. To be fair, there have been good things that have happened, but they're difficult good things, if that makes sense. Not many fun, relaxing wonderful times here - I hate it here *sigh*
.... *hugs*
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

"Ye who believe in affection that hopes, and endures, and is patient,
Ye who believe in the beauty and strength of woman's devotion,
List to the mournful tradition still sung by the pines of the forest ... "

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

Voronwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:11 AM   #18
Mari
Elf Lady

That is unbelievable. Someone should wrap you in bubblefoam or something Rian! >_<
I hope you can get some more sleep the next couple of weeks and may the surgery go well.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:30 PM   #19
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Minor vent: I am probably just going to get a PC when/if my Mac breaks down in a few years . I'm so tired of not being able to hook stuff up because there's no appropriate Mac driver, or having to download special programs to make stuff work, or having to reformat things to switch them from PC to Mac, then back again, and also how almost none of the games I like work on Mac... or if they do, they're more expensive. Plus I've had two power cords melt, four batteries break, the disk drive has broken twice (and I'm not fixing it again), the case is not particularly sturdy, the right side of the mouse bar is not working very well (so I have to be sure to click on the left), and frankly I just like the Windows applications better in most cases.

I wont lie... Macs are pretty and shiny. But I think I'm going back to PCs when this one breaks.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:51 AM   #20
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Plus I've had two power cords melt, four batteries break, the disk drive has broken twice (and I'm not fixing it again),
Quote:
I think I'm going back to PCs when this one breaks.
So what's the definition of "breaks"?

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote