Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-18-2006, 10:58 PM   #1
XRogue
Elven Warrior

Could Vader use Force lightning?

We never see him use it at all. Any thoughts on why?

I'm thinking Vader technically *can* but it might short the suit's circuits. That seems to be what happened to cause his suit to stop working. Yes, he lost a mechanical hand to Luke shortly before that, but Vader didn't start wheezing for real till he threw Palp down the shaft and got a big dose of lightning. Seemed to be breathing alright (well, at least alright for him) up till then.

Thoughts?
Old 08-19-2006, 09:50 AM   #2
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

I got the impression that after the defeat of the jedi, the emporer withheld knowledge from Vader; he never did teach him how to keep people alive -which I he didn't know anyway, which to me is just an illustration of all his intentions towards his new apprentice.

Remember how he said that powerful sith lord died, he died because he taught his apprentice everything he knew and was betrayed, killed in his sleep by his apprentice. I donot doubt this made an impression on Lord sidious.

Besides, I have never seen Obi Wan use force lightning.

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:08 AM   #3
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telcontarion
I got the impression that after the defeat of the jedi, the emporer withheld knowledge from Vader; he never did teach him how to keep people alive -which I he didn't know anyway, which to me is just an illustration of all his intentions towards his new apprentice.

Remember how he said that powerful sith lord died, he died because he taught his apprentice everything he knew and was betrayed, killed in his sleep by his apprentice. I do not doubt this made an impression on Lord sidious.
Excellent answer! I also agree with the "short-circuiting" hypothesis, but this also covers it well.

And of course we all know who the apprentice of that "powerful Sith Lord" was...Mr. Palpatine himself. And traitors are ever mistrustful.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:25 AM   #4
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion
Excellent answer! I also agree with the "short-circuiting" hypothesis, but this also covers it well.

And of course we all know who the apprentice of that "powerful Sith Lord" was...Mr. Palpatine himself. And traitors are ever mistrustful.
Yep, I always believed as well that the apprentice inquestion was palpatine himself.

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 07:50 PM   #5
XRogue
Elven Warrior

I agree, Plagueis' apprentice was most likely Palpatine. And given the "only 2 sith" rule, I would expect treachery if I was the Sith Master......after all, if there can only be a master and an apprentice, then the apprentice basically has to do away with his master somehow.

Therefore Palpatine has a motivation to leave Vader ignorant on many matters. Good point there.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:20 PM   #6
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRogue
I agree, Plagueis' apprentice was most likely Palpatine. And given the "only 2 sith" rule, I would expect treachery if I was the Sith Master......after all, if there can only be a master and an apprentice, then the apprentice basically has to do away with his master somehow.

Therefore Palpatine has a motivation to leave Vader ignorant on many matters. Good point there.
I have to agree as well, on the suit hypothesis as well as the Palpatine/mistrust one.

Another good question is, Yoda obviously knew about force lighning, because he deflected Dooku's. So the questions comes to my mind, did Yoda know how to use force lightning himself if he'd wanted to?

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 01:14 AM   #7
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRogue
We never see him use it at all. Any thoughts on why?

I'm thinking Vader technically *can* but it might short the suit's circuits. That seems to be what happened to cause his suit to stop working. Yes, he lost a mechanical hand to Luke shortly before that, but Vader didn't start wheezing for real till he threw Palp down the shaft and got a big dose of lightning. Seemed to be breathing alright (well, at least alright for him) up till then.

Thoughts?
That's always been my feeling. My family members used to wonder why Vader died when his hand got cut off, and my thought always was that it was that his suit got busted by the Emperor's lightning. Using lightning himself would have been impossible for the same reason.

So yeah, I agree with you.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote