Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-06-2006, 02:53 AM   #1
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Sith Question

No Sith ever survived permanently. Exar Kun managed to hang on as long as any of them, but only imprisoned in his temple; the same would be true of Naga Shadow. Eventually, life in the galaxy would have to terminate for any Sith, and then the result would be an endless agony in the Dark Side of the Force.

So, the question is: why bother? Why be a Sith at all? The end result is going to be worse than if you had ignored the Force altogether. No matter how much you enjoyed your time among the living or managed to hang on among the dead-but-not-yet-departed, you must eventually succumb to the inevitable fate of torture and madness that awaits the servants of evil, and worse, every Sith will be marked for more of it because he was a Sith and concentrated it in himself.

With such an inevitable downside looming, and with no way to ever reasonably expect that this bad outcome can be avoided, why be a Sith? Isn’t it the stupidest choice you can possibly make?
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 05:04 PM   #2
Eragon
Sapling

It probably is.
Eragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 05:26 PM   #3
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

It's the classic "Good-vs-evil" thing. You can trace it in places like Christianity, where Satan chose to imprison himself in eternal torment because he was so stubborn. I think that's part of it all: unwillingness to submit to another's leadership. Sith live for one thing: power. And they don't really want to share that power, either. Remember who killed Darth Pelagus?[sp?]
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:20 PM   #4
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
No one survives "permanently", not even in starwars (If you don't count jedi aperations or R2-D2)

Thus I don't quite get what you're point is, could you ilumanate?
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 06:23 PM   #5
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Quote:
Originally Posted by me9996
No one survives "permanently", not even in starwars ... Thus I don't quite get what you're point is, could you ilumanate?
Just this. Would you rather be very, very powerful and (possibly) very, very rich for a short period of time, after which you die and fall into the “disembodiment in darkness, perpetual madness as if to always live with an open wound, terror without respite.”

If the bottom falls out for a Sith soul when it loses control of its ability to keep itself intact, which will eventually happen – in other words, it is relegated to a Star Wars version of “hell,” then why be a Sith? The Sith is always condemned to “hell” in the end, no matter what advantages it may gain during life. (The same might be asked of Sauron: did he not recognize that his rebellion against Eru must eventually lead to ruin? Or did he think that his actions were acceptable or even laudable and praiseworthy?) Given that this is the final fate of each and every Sith, I ask again: Why be a Sith?
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:05 PM   #6
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin
Just this. Would you rather be very, very powerful and (possibly) very, very rich for a short period of time, after which you die and fall into the “disembodiment in darkness, perpetual madness as if to always live with an open wound, terror without respite.”

If the bottom falls out for a Sith soul when it loses control of its ability to keep itself intact, which will eventually happen – in other words, it is relegated to a Star Wars version of “hell,” then why be a Sith? The Sith is always condemned to “hell” in the end, no matter what advantages it may gain during life. (The same might be asked of Sauron: did he not recognize that his rebellion against Eru must eventually lead to ruin? Or did he think that his actions were acceptable or even laudable and praiseworthy?) Given that this is the final fate of each and every Sith, I ask again: Why be a Sith?
People are crazy. Otherwise we would have already agreed on who is right in matters of religon... Maybe sith beleave that once they're dead their dead no matter what they did in life... Sorry if this sounds too much like I'm getting after athests and such but the sith do echo of it in this aspect...
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:37 PM   #7
orithil
Captain Jack

oh and one other thing sauron didnt rebel against Eru melkor did.

Cortana: So have you got a plan to get out?
Master Chief: I was gonna shoot my way out. Mix things up a little.
orithil is offline   Reply With Quote