Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-13-2006, 10:28 PM   #1
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

Pippin's stone and the attack at the Chamber of Marzabul

In Moria, Pippin lets go of the stone in the dry well at the beginning of the night spent before the three way fork. Drums in the dark are heard. Yet the attack on the Fellowhip happens 2 (or 3?) days later in the Chamber of Marzabul.
Why was the Fellowhsip not attacked before?
And how did the orcs/troll/balrog know that the Fellowship was in the Chamber of Marzabul? Indeed the Fellowship could have taken any of the three paths at the fork and be somewhere totally different on their 2nd (or 3rd?) day since the stone.
The Wizard from Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:05 AM   #2
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

That may be exactly why the Fellowship wasn't attacked earlier, if you ask me. The orcs were alerted to another presence in their home through the falling stone but Moria is far too huge to be inspected at once.

And since that the Fellowship tracked for days through Moria (even after their rather 'loud' entrance through the gate) without encountering even clues of recent orc presense, that would indicate that the orcs restricted them to the lower levels and were perhaps not completely familiar with the higher halls and areas.

I also suspect they wanted to do a 'muster of Moria' themselves before going after the intruders. Anyone entering Moria at this point was either a total loon or someone very powerful. I suppose they didn't want to take any chances.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:35 PM   #3
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Well said. Indeed, the stone alerted the evil, that someone had intruded.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:45 PM   #4
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

Yet, you would think that in an abandoned mine the falling of a stone is a quite frequent event
The Wizard from Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 08:00 PM   #5
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Funny thing, that was my first thought too. But perhaps not on that spot or not with an old waterhole? Or maybe the orcs did notice something of the fight at the gate with the Watcher in the Water and were already put on edge for anything? Plenty of room for speculation.

In any case, we'd have been cheated out of a few very impressive scenes if the orcs hadn't decided to look into matters after the one fallen stone.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:15 PM   #6
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
In any case, we'd have been cheated out of a few very impressive scenes if the orcs hadn't decided to look into matters after the one fallen stone.
Ha! Yeah! That's the understatement of the year.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:05 AM   #7
Olmer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
And since that the Fellowship tracked for days through Moria (even after their rather 'loud' entrance through the gate) without encountering even clues of recent orc presense, that would indicate that the orcs restricted them to the lower levels and were perhaps not completely familiar with the higher halls and areas.
How about they simply were not interested in whoever roams the wast caves of Moria as long as intruders are not posing any treats for local dwellers, and had been forced to actions by Saruman's ambassadors who carried a specific order and knew what to look for?
P.S. Hi, everyone!
It's nice to be back home.
I guess that I have to catch up with a lot of stuff over here...
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote