Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-24-2005, 03:20 PM   #1
LickTheEnvelope
Hobbit

Wow!

Ok... so I read the Hobbit, then all the LOTR books in order, fallowed by the Sil.

I'm re-reading the Hobbit and WOW is it different from the Sil and LOTR. The pace is quicker, the story seems... well ... lighter and bouncier. I know the Sil is mostly a point by point explanation but the comparisons seem so slight when you read the Hobbit right after the Sil.

What do you think?
LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 03:20 PM   #2
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope
Ok... so I read the Hobbit, then all the LOTR books in order, fallowed by the Sil.

I'm re-reading the Hobbit and WOW is it different from the Sil and LOTR. The pace is quicker, the story seems... well ... lighter and bouncier. I know the Sil is mostly a point by point explanation but the comparisons seem so slight when you read the Hobbit right after the Sil.

What do you think?
That is true... that's why the hobbit is recamended for yonger readers than LotR

P.S.
Haven't seen you around much...
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 12:12 PM   #3
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

it may be noted that until bree, lotr is of the same sort of style as hobbit, up to that point lotr was still a childrens sequel to hobbit, after that it gets heavier and heavier to become the epic romance that we now know it to be, and the sil was written as an adult stle, a form of mock-history, if you will, IMHO all this is anyhoo
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 03:43 PM   #4
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
it may be noted that until bree, lotr is of the same sort of style as hobbit, up to that point lotr was still a childrens sequel to hobbit, after that it gets heavier and heavier to become the epic romance that we now know it to be, and the sil was written as an adult stle, a form of mock-history, if you will, IMHO all this is anyhoo

sorry, but balderdash!
epic romanceepic romance ?
Christ! all forgive and canonise PJ! (or esp his screenwriters - they now suddenly deserve medals!)

not sure i really can agree with the descrip of the Sil either

as regards original post by Lick the envelope, yeah your completely right, as i'd point out to Nurvingiel ref: the hobbit /bad character thread (in fairness Nurvingiel i have managed to go back over this post and try an cut out all or most of typo's!)

LCOU: i'm thinking of submitting a new thread idea to the moot and that'd definetely go in there! to be fair i'm kinda assuming its just an off the cuff post though?

also:

quote:
it may be noted that until bree, lotr is of the same sort of style as hobbit,

disagree with this as well although can see some minor justification in what you'e saying, but no, the worlds are effectively the same yet worlds apart (if y'know what i mean?) even before Bree - its just more hobbit-centric and (for sure) lighter: i'd always thought in revision JRRT was attemtping to bridge the two books at this stage to a degree (hobbit and fellowship)

best Butterbeer
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 03:46 PM   #5
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

tolkien himself described the LotR as a more ancient form of story than a mere novel, and in a letter IIRC he names it epic romance, i merely paraphrase the words of the great
Old 04-07-2005, 03:53 PM   #6
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
tolkien himself described the LotR as a more ancient form of story than a mere novel, and in a letter IIRC he names it epic romance, i merely paraphrase the words of the great

wow! you wanna run with this??

for sure?

you really going on record as LOTR as an epic romance? Never mind some obscure, potentially (probably) out of context JRRT quote: you wanna label the LOTR as an epic romance ? (apart from the multiverse of everything else here we're talking 2005 here and what 'epic romance' means to us here and now: you wanna compare LOTR to this?)

if i didn't strongly suspect you had a good brain behind that mad-eyed avatar LCOU, i'd call you Kerrr-razy! (But i won't! )

best, BB
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 03:55 PM   #7
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

search on the 'moot, there have been threads on this before,
Nolendil, i believe, is the finder of the appropriate quote, and reference
but he hasn't posted for a while

BTW, i am slightly mad anyway
Old 11-16-2005, 10:18 PM   #8
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
i agree with you on that one and the hobbit is a childrens book or if i say it correctly so a child can understand it? sil is written in an adult form which reminds me...i hafta read it again!

Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer:
Rimmo nin Bruinen dan in Ulaer!

REST IN PEACE GRANDMA, GREAT AUNT, GREAT UNCLE .....they're gunna fly with the angels now so say goodbye..but i can't. You don't really realize the importance of someone until they are gone
Tamuril Sirfalas is offline   Reply With Quote