Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-29-2004, 04:49 AM   #1
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Character analysis: Eöl, Maeglin

Short outline of the story of Eöl and Maeglin:
In the published Silmarillion, Eöl is said to have been "of the kin of Thingol", "a tall Elf of a high kin of the Teleri, noble though grim of face; and his eyes could see deep into shadows and dark places." But he did not feel comfortable i Doriath, and when the Girdle was set around the forest he left eastward to dwell in Nan Elmoth. Here he caught sight of Aredhel on one of her wanderings out of Celegorm's realm, and he used his powers of enchantment to make her come to his house and took her to wife more or less by force. Still, Aredhel seemed to be content for many years, and she and Eöl has a son, Maeglin.

Aredhel and Maeglin fled from Nan Elmoth during one of Eöl's journeys abroad, and they headed for Gondolin, where they were both received with honour by Turgon. Eöl followed them, having a brief but unpleasant encounter with Curufin, kinsman and old friend of Aredhel, on his way. At his arrival in Gondolin in front of Turgon's seat he bids Maeglin to return with him to Nan Elmoth, but the king forbids it. Then Eöl, being full of hatred against the Noldor and unwilling to see his son among them, makes an attempt to kill Maeglin, casting a poisoned javelin to him, but ends up killing his wife instead. For this deed he is sentenced to death and executed.

Maeglin becomes great among the Noldor in Gondolin, but he is not content. He desires Idril, but she avoids him. Then Tuor comes as a rival both for the heart of Idril and the King's favour, Idril weds Tuor and they have a son, and Maeglin's hate towards Tuor and his son Eärendil grows deep. Thus, when Maeglin later is captured by Orcs and brought to Angband he is led to treachery, being promised the lordship of Gondolin and the hand of Idril if he would reveal to Morgoth the exact whereabouts of Gondolin and how it could best be assailed.

During the following sack of Gondolin Maeglin attempted to kill Eärendil, trying to cast him onto the flames beneath the city walls, but was hindered by Tuor. Tuor and Maeglin fought on the walls, and Tuor cast Maeglin far out, and so he died in the same way as his father.

Eöl's name and origin
Eöl is called the Dark Elf, but though it is said in the published Sil that he preferred the shadows and the darkness of the deep woods, I don't think this is a sufficient reason for the name. However, in later versions of the Sil Eöl was not from Doriath but an Avari, one of the Elves to refused the march west, but entered Beleriand long after. This serves also to explain the lack of meaning of the name Eöl in both Quenya and Sindarin. At one point Tolkien pondered about making Eöl a former captive of Angband, thus explaining his dark mood and his skills in the smithies, which he was supposed to have learned from Morgoth. This idea was abandoned, and Eöl returned to being learned in smithcraft from the Dwarves.

Maeglin's name
Maeglin means 'Sharp Glance', derived from mik (=pierce), maika (=sharp, penetrating, going deep in) and glim (=gleam, glint, particularly applied to light of eyes). It is said that "Maeglin had, even more than his father, very bright eyes, and was both physically very keen-sighted and mentally very penetrant, and quick to interpret the looks and gestures of people, and perceive their thoughts and purposes." Another explanation of the name Maeglin is that Eöl named his son after the metal that he devised, because the metal was "dark, supple, and yet strong, and even so was his son". Eöl did not give his son a name before he was 12, until then he was called only 'Iôn' (=son), but Aredhel in secret named him Lómion (=son of Twilight, in Quenya).

In other versions of the Sil, Maeglin is called Meglin, or Glindûr.

Sources:
The published Silmarillion
HoME 11 - Maeglin
HoME 11 - Quendi and Eldar
HoME 11 - The Grey Annals

Last edited by Artanis : 08-29-2004 at 04:51 AM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 04:52 AM   #2
Artanis

Discussion about Eöl:
Was he just a bad, evil villain, or did he have some good sides?
Did he love Aredhel?
Did he love Maeglin his son?
Why did he come to shun the light of day?
What do you think about his grudge against the Noldor? Can you sympathise with it?
Do you feel sorry for him?

Discussion about Maeglin:
Did he love his father?
Did he love Idril, or was she just a way to gain more power in Gondolin?
He had the power in his voice to move those who heard him, and overthrow those who withstood him. In what way did he use this power?
Why is it that no one, except Idril, perceived his dark mood and his secret hatred?
Is there any excuse for his treachery?
Is there any excuse for his attack on Idril and Eärendel?

At last I'd like to put in here a few lines from "The Lay of the Fall of Gondolin":
Quote:
Meglin she sent to Gondolin, and his honour there was high
as the latest seed of Fingolfin, whose glory shall not die;
a lordship he won of the Gnome-folk who quarry deep in the earth,
seeking their ancient jewels; but little was his mirth,
and dark he was and secret and his hair as the strands of night
that are tangled in Taur Fuin* the forest without light.
And now the stage is yours, folks.

Last edited by Artanis : 08-29-2004 at 04:54 AM.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:34 AM   #3
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Wow! Great intro, Arty! Thanks for taking the effort.
Some thoughts:
Discussion about Eöl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis
I'd say he was a villain, I can't see any good sides to his personality. I think Tolkien intended to show that by all the evil that Eöl caused. He killed Aredhel, and one of the two swords he forged became the Black Sword in Turin's hand, and we all know what THAT did Then again, we don't know that much about Eöl's personality, do we?
Quote:
Did he love Aredhel?
I think he did. He was too lonely in that forest of his and surely an Noldorin woman who has seen the Light of the Trees would be ravishing enough to turn any pooer Elf's head.
Quote:
I don't think he loved him as in father to son love. He probably saw in Maeglin a perpetuation of his own name and probably someone who would go on to have great power. Perhaps that's why he wanted him out of Gondolin; for whatever reason he hated the Noldor, he didn't want his son influenced by them.
Quote:
What do you think about his grudge against the Noldor? Can you sympathise with it?
I can certainly sympathise with anyone who harbors a grudge against the Noldor. Put yourself in the Avari and the Sindar's position. These pesky Noldor come from the sea to invade the lands that don't belong to them anymore and they claim it's their right and place themselves higher than any Elf in ME (the snobs!). However, I can't think of a reason why Eöl decided to express his grudge so openly and bitterly.
Quote:
Yes I certainly feel sorry for him. He shut himself out refusing to listen to reason and refusing to 'see the light'. His redemption was so close at hand but he kept rejecting it. Some people would condemn him for a blind, stubborn mule. Not so for me, I feel really sorry for the poor guy!

I'll post my thoughts about Maeglin later, this is all I can manage for now.
Again: great job, Arty!
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 05:40 AM   #4
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I don't think Eol can be considered to be entirely evil. I think he fell in love with his wife, and even though he didn't exactly capture her through any fair means, she stayed willingly enough with him.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:13 AM   #5
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I never really considered Maeglin evil until Hurin and Huor's departure from Gondolin.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 02:34 AM   #6
Artanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
I don't think Eol can be considered to be entirely evil. I think he fell in love with his wife, and even though he didn't exactly capture her through any fair means, she stayed willingly enough with him.
I don't think Eöl really loved Aredhel. She was a fair thing that he wanted to possess, nothing more. He took her to wife by force, and that is a truly wicked deed among Elves. And in Gondolin, when she was wounded by the spear, if he had loved her then, wouldn't he have spoken about the poison? But he didn't, and he never displayed any sign of repentance.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:00 AM   #7
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I disagree. I think he did love her, and didn't say the spear was posioned becasue of his anger. I'm not sure, but it seems to me that he didn't really care what will happen - as he knew he's going to be killed without ask for forgiveness from the Golodhrim, and prefered Aredhel to come with him to the Halls of Mandos.
Which reminded me... How much time do you think Eöl will stay in the Halls on Mandos? Relatively to otehr elves, that is.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 07:18 AM   #8
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
I don't think he loved him as in father to son love. He probably saw in Maeglin a perpetuation of his own name and probably someone who would go on to have great power. Perhaps that's why he wanted him out of Gondolin; for whatever reason he hated the Noldor, he didn't want his son influenced by them.
I disagree here... I think he loved his son much, and that's why he left Nan Elmoth. He loved him, but didn't want to let him go and do whatever he wanted - he wanted him to stay in the woods.

I agree that he was a villain, and loved Aredhel. I can understand his hate to the Noldor.. but don't that I myself would hate them.
And I don't feel sorry for him. I think he's the character I hate more than all others.

About Maeglin - it is said he was like his father in the mood... but I think he was a bit different. He had good sides - many, even - but he fell to darkness when Tuor came, and he was jelous of his power and love of Idril. Without that, he wouldn't have discovered the location of Gondolin. That's no excuse... but it's like a different person from the moment Tuor came. I do feel sorry for him though. Don't know why.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:27 AM   #9
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radagast The Brown
He had good sides - many, even -
Care to share them with us?
Old 08-29-2004, 07:39 AM   #10
Telcontar_Dunedain

I agree that Aredhel loved Eol but I do not think he had many good sides.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 08-29-2004, 08:05 AM   #11
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beren3000
Care to share them with us?
Well, when I think of it you can't really know his acts in the time in Gondolin. I think he was just a royalty, that helped Gondolin protect itself (making weapons, for example). I'm not very good at getting the cahacarters out of the writing, actually, abd haven't read that part for awhile. But can you say what he did wrong in that time? (befroe Huor and hurin arrived to Gondolin)
Old 08-29-2004, 12:05 PM   #12
Artanis

Much to respond to here, I'll start at the beginning.
Quote:
I'd say he was a villain, I can't see any good sides to his personality. I think Tolkien intended to show that by all the evil that Eöl caused. He killed Aredhel, and one of the two swords he forged became the Black Sword in Turin's hand, and we all know what THAT did Then again, we don't know that much about Eöl's personality, do we?
I too have a hard time finding some goodness in Eöl. There must have been something though, that made Aredhel stay with him for so long, and even get a child with him. At least he didn't have that condencending attitude towards the Dwarves as otherwise many of the Elves had.

Quote:
I agree that he didn't love Maeglin as a son. I think he was proud of him to begin with, because he turned out to be much alike to himself, clever in the smithies, farsighted, strong and fair. But to me it is not love to deny a son to meet his mother's kin. And it is certainly not love to try to kill him, pride and hate was far greater.

More later ...

Last edited by Artanis : 08-29-2004 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:18 PM   #13
Telcontar_Dunedain

It showed he really did hate the Noldor, to try and kill his son instead of having him live with his wifes kin.

Old 08-30-2004, 11:54 AM   #14
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Discussion about Eol
I'm not sure he could be classed as bad or evil. Certainly little if any good came from his actions. I look at Eol as an Elf that has the equivalence of what would be mental illness in humans. I think he, like many of the Teleri was bitter over the Kinslaying and hated that the Noldor had returned
Quote:
Did he love Aredhel?
Not sure on this one. I think he cared for her. I find it to be an interesting twist in the story that for all his hatred and bitterness toward the Noldor, that he would marry a Noldorin princess, and father a child that was part Noldorin.
Quote:
I think he did, but again, his hatred of the Noldor and his pride fueled the fire. His love for his son and wife was clouded by his anger and pride.
Quote:
I think like many of the Elves, he had a love of craft. In his case his interest in craft was like the Dwarves. He befriended them and learned much. He also wanted to be free to do as he pleased and to go where he would without restrictions, which was why he asked Thingol for leave after the Girdle of Melian was raised.
Quote:
I can sympathize, but once the Noldor were there, and he chose to marry one, he would have been better off to try at the very least to accept his Noldorin in-laws
Quote:
No.

Quote:
I think he started out with some good. It says that he loved his mother more, but let's face it, he was his father's son.
Quote:
Did he love his father?
I don't think so. It says that he resented him for keeping his mother from her kin. He resented that his father seemed to keep them prisoner.
Quote:
I think he mistook love for infatuation, but I think he was received well by Turgon, and he saw that he had a place of favour in Gondolin and in the eyes of the king, Idril, or no.
Quote:
He had the power in his voice to move those who heard him, and overthrow those who withstood him. In what way did he use this power?
Very charismaticly.
Quote:
Why is it that no one, except Idril, perceived his dark mood and his secret hatred?
Idril was 1/2 Vanyarin. Was not the Vanyar very perceptive and wary of Morgoth in Valinor?
Quote:
No, only if you wish to atribute it to his tainted fea or his mental status.
Quote:
Same answer as above. I think perhaps if Aradhel had lived, we may have seen a different Maeglor.
Quote:
In some ways.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 03:54 AM   #15
Artanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
I'm not sure he could be classed as bad or evil. Certainly little if any good came from his actions. I look at Eol as an Elf that has the equivalence of what would be mental illness in humans. I think he, like many of the Teleri was bitter over the Kinslaying and hated that the Noldor had returned
I often feel it is a pity that Tolkien abandoned the idea of Eöl being a former Angband captive. That would have served to explained a lot about his mood, and also explained to a greater degree his grudge against the Noldor who, in his opinion, was responsible for Morgoth's return to Middle Earth.
Mental illness - do you by that mean a tainted fëa?
Quote:
Not sure on this one. I think he cared for her. I find it to be an interesting twist in the story that for all his hatred and bitterness toward the Noldor, that he would marry a Noldorin princess, and father a child that was part Noldorin.
It is a possibility that he took Aredhel to wife in order to humiliate her and all her kin. But i don't really think so. Perhaps you are right, maybe he did come to care about her during the years. I'd like to think that he did, I'd like to think that he experienced love in his life. One thing in favour of your opinion is that they often wandered far in the woods together during the nights. Sounds romantic to me. And if she had not been content and he had not treated her well, I guess she would have found a way to escape long before her son was born.

Quote:
Very charismaticly.
True. What I was thinking of when I asked that question was: Maeglin was gifted in many ways. He was highly skilled in smithcraft, a fact that Gondolin had great use of. He was a valiant warrior as was seen in the Nirnaeth. But I think it was his charisma more than anything that enabled him to get respect from the average Elf in Gondolin. It's such a pity that he often used this charisma to give bad councel to Turgon, especially at the arrival of Tuor, when Turgon refused to follow Ulmo's advice, and during the attack on Gondolin.

What strikes me when I read about Eöl and Maeglin is that they must both have been very lonely most of their lives. If nothing else, that makes me feel sorry for them.
Quote:
Idril was 1/2 Vanyarin. Was not the Vanyar very perceptive and wary of Morgoth in Valinor?
Were they? I can't remember anything said about that, but you may be right.

Last edited by Artanis : 08-31-2004 at 03:55 AM.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:29 AM   #16
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Mental illness - do you by that mean a tainted fëa?
Well, yes. I suppose it could be thought of as the mind and the fea are one. The taint of the fea would influence the thought or decision making process of the mind.
Quote:
It is a possibility that he took Aredhel to wife in order to humiliate her and all her kin. But i don't really think so. Perhaps you are right, maybe he did come to care about her during the years. I'd like to think that he did, I'd like to think that he experienced love in his life. One thing in favour of your opinion is that they often wandered far in the woods together during the nights. Sounds romantic to me. And if she had not been content and he had not treated her well, I guess she would have found a way to escape long before her son was born.
Well, Aradhel was Noldorin and the Noldor were a restless lot as shown even by her own actions in not being content to stay in Gondolin. Eol may have lured her to him, but she did remain. However, that Noldorin restlessness came upon her, and with that and the fact that Eol seemed so controling and prevented her from seeing her kin, made her determined to leave him when she saw an open opportunity, and return to Gondolin.

Quote:
It's such a pity that he often used this charisma to give bad councel to Turgon, especially at the arrival of Tuor, when Turgon refused to follow Ulmo's advice, and during the attack on Gondolin.
Well, I'm not certian that all of Turgon's bad decisions can be laid at Maeglin's doorstep. It says that Turgon had become prideful and still trusted in the strength of Gondolin. Maeglin may have been influential, but some of this has to lay with Turgon. Reminds me of the Turin-Orodreth relationship.

Quote:
Were they? I can't remember anything said about that, but you may be right.
From the Silmarillion, Houghton Mifflin edition, 1977.

Quote:
Now in his heart Melkor most hated the Eldar, both because they were fair and joyful and because in them he saw the reason for the arising of the Valar, and his own downfall. Therefore, all the more did he feign love for them and seek their friendship, and he offered them the service of his lore and labour in any great deed that they would do. The Vanyar held him in suspicion, for they dwelt in the Light of the Trees and were content...
From: Morgoth's Ring, The Annals of Aman, The Histories of Middle-earth series.

Quote:
And many of the Noldor, because of their desire of all knowledge, hearkened to him and took delight in his teaching. But the Vanyar would have no part with him.
From the Later Quenta Silmarillion.

Quote:
Most fair of all was Melkor to the Eldar, and he aided them in many works, if they would let him. The Vanyar, indeed, the people of Ingwe, held him in suspicion; for Ulmo had warned them and they heeded his words.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 11:03 AM   #17
Artanis

Some good quotes there SGH. Thanks.
Quote:
Well, I'm not certian that all of Turgon's bad decisions can be laid at Maeglin's doorstep. It says that Turgon had become prideful and still trusted in the strength of Gondolin. Maeglin may have been influential, but some of this has to lay with Turgon. Reminds me of the Turin-Orodreth relationship.
Aaahh - I don't seem to be able to express myself. I didn't mean to take any responsibility away from Turgon. But Maeglin reminds me of Fëanor: both were clever and highly skilled, and both used their oratorial gifts to sway people into taking the wrong desicions. How very different the course of history could have been if they had found a better use of their gifts.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:04 AM   #18
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

In general, I have felt sorry for Maeglin. Not completely though.

While the parallel isn't complete, I just now see some similarities with him and Grima Wormtongue - oddly enough.

Each desired a 'daughter' (in one case an actual niece, but treated as daughter) of a king, was in relative close counsel with that king - and betrayed their kingdom to an enemy - with the promise of rulership of that kingdom and possession of the woman they desired.

Pretty much ends there though, I think...

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 11:15 AM   #19
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
I would consider him evil. As I've quoted before, Tolkien said about him that "a dark seed of evil was sown" in Gondolin. Moreover, if we established that his father was evil, then he should be considered evil as he was his "father's son" as somebody else mentioned.
Quote:
Did he love his father?
Contrary to Eöl's attitude, I think that Maeglin did love his father. If he turned out to be so much like him, he must've considered him a role model or something. As to his refusal of returning back to Nan Elmoth with him, I think it was because he so admired Gondolin and mooned over Idril that he could imagine no other life.
Quote:
I think he really did love her. He was too zealous and fervent in his attempts to prove otherwise. I could see SGH's point about his mixing love and infatuation, but I'm not so sure about it!
Quote:
I'd say that he used it pretty much as Grima did with Theoden, to infest the king's thoughts. Then again, I agree with SGH that he's not to be blamed for all the bad decisions of Turgon. Some of these decisions were due to Turgon's suspicion of treachery because of the Doom of Mandos.
Quote:
SGH already explained that. It reminds me of Galadriel's mistrust of Sauron in Eregion.
Quote:
Fear of Morgoth for one. But I can't help but think that part of him really coveted the throne of Gondolin and the hand of Idril.
Quote:
None at all, it was just spiteful!
Quote:
All in all...no!
Old 09-04-2004, 03:32 PM   #20
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Discussion about Eöl:
Did he love Aredhel?
I think he did, but in a possessive, dictating sort of way. But when she had given him an heir; when time passed and other things drew his attention I think he saw her more as a possession, a fine and beautiful jewel that he had conquered than his wife.

Quote:
He had walked around in the Twilight before the Sun. I believe it is said somewhere that most Eldar still prefer the stars to the sunlight, in Eöl this sentiment was perhaps even stronger. Eöl always struck me as a sort achetype of the Elves that remained in Middle-earth but did not belong to Thingol's people.

Quote:
I think I can see the reasons for his grudge. To him the Noldor would be little more than invaders. Not only did they kill his kin in Alqualondë but here they came, acting all high and mighty (and for a proud Elf like Eöl I'm sure that must have struck the wrong cord) and taking lands that Eöl considered not theirs for the taking.

Quote:
I don't think Maeglin was evil. Pride was his downfall, as so many others before and after him but I don't think he was necesarily evil.

Quote:
Interesting, this parallel between Maeglin's and his father's choice of women. Both desired women that were not 'meant' for them. Aredhel was just to different in personality and kin from Eöl to have made their marriage work longer than it did. And Idril was too close kin for ever being able to marry Maeglin. Between the two I think Maeglin loved Idril more than Eöl loved Aredhel although the motive to gain more power through her may have been unconciously present. But IMO Maeglin loved more the beauty and light of Idril than herself. The poor boy has spend too much of his life in shadow.

Quote:
I always had the feeling that Maeglin's whole life was a sort of continuous battle against Fate. He was his father's son and even by escaping to Gondolin he could not escape from that legacy. He was a child of two worlds, the twilight world of Nan Elmoth and the sunlit world of Gondolin. He could not be content in either of them.

I always saw a sort of parallel too between the way Túrin was followed by doom everywhere he went and the way Fate had inmeshed Maeglin in a situation in which each of his decisions created new, negative consequences: his flight to Gondolin ended in his mother's death, his love for Idril gave Morgoth an opening to get Maeglin where he wanted, ect....

I think Maeglin is a true tragic figure and in that prospect I do feel sorry for him.