Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 07:28 PM   #1
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

WMD search officially over in Iraq

Remember how we went through months of fear tactics to convince the US that invading Iraq was vital to our safety as a country? Remember how they promised there were tons of chemical and biological weapons and how Saddam was inches away from developing nuclear weapons?

Well, the "search" is over and no one seems to be paying attention or cares that the war was based on a lie. Perhaps 100,000 Iraqis dead, well over 1200 (or more) of the military.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/12/wmd.search/index.html

Quote:
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- U.S. inspectors have ended their search for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq in recent weeks, a U.S. intelligence official told CNN.

The search ended almost two years after President Bush ordered the invasion of Iraq, citing concerns that Saddam Hussein was building weapons of mass destruction and may have hidden weapons stockpiles.
One would think this country would care that they were deceived, yet this will go entirely unnoticed and unpunished. Of course, if you're asking the relevance of the decision to invade and what it personally means to you, if you're a US citizen and between 18-26, you may be selected to personally go clean up Bush's mess.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:11 PM   #2
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Decieved is a bit different from mistaken. And personally I don't think the 'fear tactics' you describe are all that different from the tactics you are employing by trumping this up and making a big deal about it in order to make some point which, chances are, you would have remained convinced of regardless of the outcome.

Last edited by Wayfarer : 01-13-2005 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:27 PM   #3
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer
Decieved is a bit different from mistaken. And personally I don't think the 'fear tactics' you describe are all that different from the tactics you are employing by trumping this up and making a big deal about it in order to make some point which, chances are, you would have remained convinced of regardless of the outcome.
Well thats a pretty big mistake to make don't you think? War should not be taken lightly, atleast have the facts straight before making the decision to invade a country. This is a big deal, whether you think so or not, if you find this "mistake" not to be a big deal, then thats your own problem.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:53 PM   #4
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Only the most extreme right wing wack jobs still hold that they are hiding huge caches of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq today. Although Bush still thinks it could be a possibility . And even most of the conservatives in this country have moved on to other reasons to justify the war knowing full well they have no ground to stand on anymore with the WMD argument (they have even taken to trying to turn the argument around to blame Democrats in the CIA for it...). Thats been true for a while now. So I dont think this will be much more then a blip as far as news and controversy goes. At least in this country.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 01-13-2005, 09:55 PM   #5
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

No. I don't think it was a that big a mistake. There were credible reasons to believe the Iraqi WMD program presented a threat - including statements made by former Iraqi officials claiming the government had WMD capabilities. If highly informed Iraqis were mistaken about the matter, it's kind of ridiculous to blame other countries from making the same mistake.

But that's not the point at hand. The problem right now is your blatant hypocracy as you make a big deal about 'fear tactics being used to gain support for a war', out of one side of your mouth, while with the other side you use similar fear tactics to argue that 'you might have to clean up this mess'.

Last edited by Wayfarer : 01-14-2005 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:32 PM   #6
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I agree with Wayfarer (and I am NOT a Bush supporter).

Republicans and "right-wingers" are not the only ones to use fear tactics as a means to an end. Almost everyday before the elections I had extreme liberals and registered Dems (I am moderate leaning slightly left and registered independent) bringing up the draft bill...in classes that had nothing to do with politics whatsoever. Funny that they left out that the last time they tried to pass it, it only got two votes, and one of those who voted for it was a Democrat...
Old 01-14-2005, 12:26 AM   #7
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
No. I don't think it was a that big a mistake. There were credible reasons to believe the Iraqi WMD program presented a threat - including statements made by former Iraqi officials claiming the government had WMD capabilities. If highly informed Iraqis were mistaken about the matter, it's kind of ridiculous to blame other countries from making the same mistake.

But that's not the point at hand. The problem right now is your blatant hypocracy as you make a big deal about 'fear tactics being used to gain support for a war', out of one side of your mouth, while with the other side you use similar fear tactics to argue that 'you might have to clean up this mess'.

*edited out by HOBBIT*
Personally, I could care less what you think of me, so do me a favor and refrain from insulting me behind a computer screen because not only is it childish but not worthy of my time. Anyways thats all I have to say to you, I think I'll be the bigger man and walk away, heres some advice for you, grow up.

Last edited by Ragnarok : 01-14-2005 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:58 AM   #8
inked
Elf Lord

Ragnarok,
Fact remains that Sadaam is documented to have used nerve gas on the Kurds. Sadaam said he had the weapons and would use them.

So we took him at his word.

Now whose fault is it? And I remember the whole Congress believed the data at the time and voted to approve the war. Even that Kerry fellow married to the Heinz heiress voted for it.

Are you blaming only the right wing jack jobs for the votes of the left wing jack jobs? Which group of jack jobs blew the mind-reading and x-ray vision tests? Both look equally culpable in this particular matter. Which is why it won't be a biggie in the media and Michael Moore won't make a movie of leftish jack jobs supporting the war. (Maybe tho' he could do something worthwhile like a docudrama on another Michael's trial? And show that at Cannes for the promotion of a society for men who are victimized because they luv children, though some female teachers are gonna lobby for feminist inclusion, I suspect!)

IR, Maybe we should give you a new nickname, something like jj?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 01-14-2005, 02:37 PM   #9
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

Quote:
Including Saddam himself. He didn't want his enemies, er, neighbors to think he had given them up either. I once hotly blamed the Dub-ya for this huge "mistake" but I'm a bit more understanding now.

We need to move on. We need to fix this mess. If we walk out, would Saddam be back in power? I say, yes. Give him 5 years. On the otherhand, imposing our version of democracy in that corner of the world may not be the right thing. I dunno.

Fear Complacency!