Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-19-2003, 10:02 AM   #1
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Túrin and Nienor

I'm really missing a thread about two of my favourite characters: Túrin and Nienor. Their story is just that gorgeous and romantic. I love it.
In the Book of Lost Tales it was written, that the both of them, after their death, were invited to live in Valinor.
What do you think? Are you for or against the love of the two sisters?
Old 01-19-2003, 10:39 AM   #2
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

Turin was a girl!

Against. I'd much rather he falls in love with Finduilas. Damn Glaurung. And don't take the stuff from BoLT into the new Sil. legendarium. THe BoLT work is too old to be considred (apart from the FoG) part of the 'canon' and in line with the Sil and LOTR.Just like the early drafts of LOTR, (HoME volumes 6-9)

And, no they wouldn't have fallen in love, hence both of their suicides.
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 01:53 PM   #3
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Oh, sorry, my mistake. Turin is a MAN. I meant between brother and sister.
Old 01-19-2003, 03:46 PM   #4
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Re: Túrin and Nienor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
I'm really missing a thread about two of my favourite characters: Túrin and Nienor. Their story is just that gorgeous and romantic. I love it.
In the Book of Lost Tales it was written, that the both of them, after their death, were invited to live in Valinor.
What do you think? Are you for or against the love of the two sisters?
The BoLTs is the older mythology. As for the relationship between Turin and Nienor, I found nothing gorgeous or romantic about it. It was a terrible tragedy that should not and would not have happened but for the evils of Glaurung. Very sad.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 04:10 PM   #5
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
The BoLTs is the older mythology. As for the relationship between Turin and Nienor, I found nothing gorgeous or romantic about it. It was a terrible tragedy that should not and would not have happened but for the evils of Glaurung. Very sad.
I know that BolT is actually too old to refer to, but I still love the story of Túrin and Nienor in the Silmarillion. I do think that it is romantic, because the fall in love with each other so deeply. But, you're right, it is as well very tragic and the question, wether they should be together or not teared me apart.
I mean they loved each other, so they should be together, but on the other hand they are brother and sister so it is only logical that they should not be together as husband and wife.
But there comes another question to my mind (it's to long ago to remember it exactly), but why has Nienor made suicide? Was it because of Túrins death (at least she thought he was dead) or was it because she was pregnant of her brother?
Old 01-19-2003, 04:20 PM   #6
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Is this the story where the sister goes looking for her brother and then finds him, however there is a spell that doesn't let her recognize him, and then they wed. Then later on they find out they are siblings and she throws herself off a cliff and he impales himself or something like that???
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 04:20 PM   #7
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

After Glaurung released her from his spell and her memory was restored, and she realized that Turin was her brother and that she carried his child, Nienor leapt to her death.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-19-2003, 09:46 PM   #8
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

What is FoG?
Old 01-20-2003, 04:53 AM   #9
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

The Fall of Gondolin, perhaps?
Old 01-20-2003, 08:40 AM   #10
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

So has anybody here actually read BolT? I haven't meet many people who have read it!
And I don't think Túrin was a bad person, he actually did a very good job although this spell was on him.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:33 AM   #11
Melkor's significant othe
Hobbit

I've read both BoLT 1& 2. They are an excellent read. Like the whole HoME series. (which I haven't yet finished....I got all the books as a present for Xmas!) The extra details you get concerning the Valar, the Battles of Beleriand and far longer narratives about the early elves/men encounters. Plus seeing how Sauron evolved from a prince of cats! Tiveldo. I thorughly recommend getting the BoLT for their wonderful stories. The account of the time and its' units (days,months,years) being created by the 3 wizards of Eru had me lost for words. Imagining Tulkas's 7 mighty people hauling the cables that controlled the passing years....fantastic!
Melkor's significant othe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 10:21 AM   #12
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

Yes FoG is the Fall of Gondolin. was there love really 'pure' or 'sweet'? Turin was under a curse and the spell of Glaurung, which clearly miffed him up, and Nienor was also under a spell of Glaurung. I think it was fate more then anything else. Turin and Finduilas would have expressed the fact that they had feelings for each other (though it was obvious to all) if it wasn't for Melkor's curse, which was pretty much screwing up Turin's life.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:14 AM   #13
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

I love FoG in BoLT2. It's a really good story, and I liked it much better than that shortend story in the Silm.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:47 PM   #14
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
was there love really 'pure' or 'sweet'? Turin was under a curse and the spell of Glaurung, which clearly miffed him up, and Nienor was also under a spell of Glaurung. I think it was fate more then anything else.
I still think that their love was pure and sweet. Although the spell was on both of them, they were themselves and not another person and so they fell in love with the character of the other. That has nothing to do with a spell (in my opinion). I mean, the spell could not change their personality, only their luck.
But I think it is possible that it was fate that they fall in love. Nobody knows what the Valar or even Iluvatar want to achieve with something.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:50 PM   #15
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
I've read both BoLT 1& 2. They are an excellent read. Like the whole HoME series.
I'm just finishing BoLT 2. I think I'll have to read the 10 other late published books, but I don't think that they are available in german.
What I wanted to ask is: Are the 10 other books, older stories in the style of BoLT or are they more current like LotR?
Old 01-20-2003, 01:11 PM   #16
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
I still think that their love was pure and sweet. Although the spell was on both of them, they were themselves and not another person and so they fell in love with the character of the other. That has nothing to do with a spell (in my opinion). I mean, the spell could not change their personality, only their luck.
But I think it is possible that it was fate that they fall in love. Nobody knows what the Valar or even Iluvatar want to achieve with something.
Don't forget that at the time that this took place, Hurin was being held captive by Morgoth and his kin was under a curse. Some events that happened to Turin I think happened because of his pride, others happened because of this curse and was completely due to Morgoth and his servants.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-20-2003, 02:19 PM   #17
BeardofPants
the Shrike

No, I don't think their love was pure and sweet. They were both - as SGH said - under the curse of the house of Hurin. How can their love be pure, if they were blinded? Turin should have ended up with Finduilas.

And yes, I've read BoLT 1 and 2.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:02 PM   #18
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Falling in love with your judgement clouded and whislt you are under a curse, whilst the creator of all evil laughs at your incestous antics, is not true love. In my opinion. Remember Gwindor's dying words to Turin, that if he doesn't save Finduilas, then his doom (the curse) will not fail to find him. A message form Eru, possibly?
Old 01-21-2003, 08:56 AM   #19
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Don't forget that at the time that this took place, Hurin was being held captive by Morgoth and his kin was under a curse. Some events that happened to Turin I think happened because of his pride, others happened because of this curse and was completely due to Morgoth and his servants.
Okay, first, yeah maybe some things happened because of Túrins pride (the falling of Nargothrond), but I also think that most of the fatal pride can be traced back to Morgoth's spell.
But I still believe, that in some way they were able to think free and that their minds were not completely "blacked".
I mean, Túrin always knew that there was something wrong with him and that his unlucky fate was unnatural and Nienor felt that too, deep in her heart.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:40 AM   #20
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Okay, first, yeah maybe some things happened because of Túrins pride (the falling of Nargothrond), but I also think that most of the fatal pride can be traced back to Morgoth's spell.
But I still believe, that in some way they were able to think free and that their minds were not completely "blacked".
I mean, Túrin always knew that there was something wrong with him and that his unlucky fate was unnatural and Nienor felt that too, deep in her heart.
When I refered to Turin's pride, I was refering to the incident surrounding the death of Searos and his stubborness to return to Doriath for one. He would hold some blame for the fall of Nargothrond, but much of that goes to that idiot Orodreth, and some could be attributed to the Curse of Hurin.

As for this incestuous relationship, again, they were not in their right minds until they were released from the spell of the dragon, which is what lead to their deaths. Think about it. If they were truly in love with one another, then why would they feel the need to kill themselves once they realized they were brother and sister?

Travel and Tourism Guide