Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-19-2006, 05:18 AM   #1
Draken
Elf Lord

New Tolkien book out next spring

Apparently. Don't know if anyone has posted about it yet, but I found this in today's Independent

Tolkien's son completes father's unfinished epic

By Andrew Buncombe in Washington
Published: 19 September 2006

All aboard for Middle Earth! Christopher Tolkien, son of the late, legendary creator of The Lord of the Rings, has completed an unfinished story started by his father which will be published next spring.

Mr Tolkien has spent the past 30 years working on The Children of Hurin, which his father began in 1918 and later abandoned. Though excerpts have been published this will be the first time a completed version of the epic story featuring the elves and dwarves of Middle Earth has appeared. It will be published by HarperCollins in the UK and by Houghton Mifflin in the US.

Mr Tolkien said: "It has seemed to me for a long time that there was a good case for presenting my father's long version of the legend of the Children of Hurin as an independent work, between its own covers."

Mr Tolkien, 81, who lives in France, has spent much of his life organising, deciphering and publishing stories of his father's that only appeared handwritten, often on scraps of paper. He has admitted that at times he has been forced to use guesswork to decide upon his father's intentions.

Despite this he has been a successful editor of his father's work and in 1977 he oversaw the publication of the novel The Silmarillion. This was followed by Unfinished Tales in 1980, and then the 12 volumes of The History of Middle-earth between 1983 and 1996.

His father's Lord of the Rings trilogy has sold more than 50 million copies and was made into a hugely successful series of Hollywood films, directed by Peter Jackson. Christopher Tolkien spoke out against the films, saying he believed the novels were not suitable for film adaptation.

All aboard for Middle Earth! Christopher Tolkien, son of the late, legendary creator of The Lord of the Rings, has completed an unfinished story started by his father which will be published next spring.

Mr Tolkien has spent the past 30 years working on The Children of Hurin, which his father began in 1918 and later abandoned. Though excerpts have been published this will be the first time a completed version of the epic story featuring the elves and dwarves of Middle Earth has appeared. It will be published by HarperCollins in the UK and by Houghton Mifflin in the US.

Mr Tolkien said: "It has seemed to me for a long time that there was a good case for presenting my father's long version of the legend of the Children of Hurin as an independent work, between its own covers."

Mr Tolkien, 81, who lives in France, has spent much of his life organising, deciphering and publishing stories of his father's that only appeared handwritten, often on scraps of paper. He has admitted that at times he has been forced to use guesswork to decide upon his father's intentions.
Despite this he has been a successful editor of his father's work and in 1977 he oversaw the publication of the novel The Silmarillion. This was followed by Unfinished Tales in 1980, and then the 12 volumes of The History of Middle-earth between 1983 and 1996.

His father's Lord of the Rings trilogy has sold more than 50 million copies and was made into a hugely successful series of Hollywood films, directed by Peter Jackson. Christopher Tolkien spoke out against the films, saying he believed the novels were not suitable for film adaptation.

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:49 AM   #2
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

man...i wish he'd do "The Lost Road"...
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:06 AM   #3
BeardofPants
the Shrike

*BoP dies and goes to heaven
*BoP remembers that she doesn't actually believe in heaven
Bugger

Last edited by BeardofPants : 09-19-2006 at 07:09 AM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:22 AM   #4
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

It's a cool belief though, huh... if you could ever bring yourself to believe in it?

Anyway - that's interesting about the book. Also interesting that the press release mentions the "elves and dwarves of Middle Earth" - when I suspect the main protagonists will be Human (although of course we see lots of the other two groups - particularly elves).

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:25 AM   #5
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Very cool!

I wonder if it will be HoME-style (excerpts, clips and notes), or an actual finished story.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:05 PM   #6
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

How can a guy, even if he is his father's son, say that his 'completing' of a man's 'abandoned' book is valid, and some director from New Zealand making a movie of a finished book by the same man isn't?

I don't know if I like the idea of it... I mean, yes, it's Tolkien, but how much of it is Christopher and how much is J.R.R.? In the words of Jeffrey Pelt: How are we to know the difference? Will it be noted which parts Christopher has had to fill in?
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:30 AM   #7
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider

A few authors did that for Dr. Seuss, I do wonder how many people will wonder if tolken is still alive because of this (A person is smart, people are numskulls).

Anyway I don't think I'll read it, nothing against anyone but unless I spot it in a library I don't think I'll read it.
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote