Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-31-2004, 04:43 PM   #1
Mercutio

Paper topics for English Lit

Any ideas? I need a topic for my term paper in English (British) Literature. I like things that are religious in some way...but that's not a must.

My brother wrote on imagery in some of T.S. Eliot's poetry back when he took this class.

I was thinking about comparing Dorothy Sayer's and Agatha Christie's writing styles in their murder mysteries (the Lord Peter and Poirot ones). They both lived and published at the same time. Their style's are pretty different, I think. Could I find enough info for this topic? I am kind of at a loss for other ideas right now. My mom suggested Pilgrim's Progress: not the basic blatant imagery, but how it ties in with the ideas of the Protestant Reformation and such.

Btw, last year (in American Lit) I wrote about the treatment of the church in Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 11:37 PM   #2
inked
Elf Lord

Dorothy L. Sayers is an excellent choice for British literature. If you have read her novels and Agatha Christie's, you could make the comparison in the specific realms of characterization, settings, and relationships. But you might prefer to stick to one and not try all. There are some excellent web sites if you search under her name. Do NOT forget that she produced an excellent translation of Dante's DIVINE COMEDY. She was also one of the first women to graduate OXFORD.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 06:48 AM   #3
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

How about comparing the Sil. (modern english "mythology") to Beowulf?
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 06:21 PM   #4
Mercutio

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Dorothy L. Sayers is an excellent choice for British literature. If you have read her novels and Agatha Christie's, you could make the comparison in the specific realms of characterization, settings, and relationships. But you might prefer to stick to one and not try all. There are some excellent web sites if you search under her name. Do NOT forget that she produced an excellent translation of Dante's DIVINE COMEDY. She was also one of the first women to graduate OXFORD.
not Shrewsbury, was it?

Yeppers. I've read all of Sayer's novels and short stories (many times ) and some of Christie's.
It seems like Christie's are just who-dun-its. Sayers has much more character development, underlying themes, etc. The mystery itself sometimes becomes merely a backdrop for everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beren3000
How about comparing the Sil. (modern english "mythology") to Beowulf?
Hmm...I hadn't thought of anything like that...Oh wait: on a list of possible topics my teacher had Tolkien's use Beowulf. Thanks Beren.

p.s. yes I know that Shrewsbury doesn't actually exist, lol

Last edited by Mercutio : 11-01-2004 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:53 PM   #5
inked
Elf Lord

Ah, Mercutio, a true Sayers afficianado! I am most delighted. Then you could consider the role of the Church of E in the novels and see how DLS depicts clergymen as a topic. Since her Father was a priest in CoE, her comportment in that literary department would be instructive and entertaining I think! If you should do DLS as a topic I should like to read it, if you would not mind!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 10:37 PM   #6
Mercutio

Quote:
Ah, Mercutio, a true Sayers afficianado! I am most delighted. Then you could consider the role of the Church of E in the novels and see how DLS depicts clergymen as a topic. Since her Father was a priest in CoE, her comportment in that literary department would be instructive and entertaining I think! If you should do DLS as a topic I should like to read it, if you would not mind!

Brings to mind "The Nine Tailors," and Fenchurch St. Paul (I believe?--I haven't read that one in a while). I think it was one of the best. 3 of her books are based on a lot of info from her life: Murder Must Advertise (she worked in an ad agency for a spell), Nine Tailors (life growing up where her father was a vicar) and Gaudy Night (women's college at Oxford).

I'm looking up books on the university website right now about Sayers/Christie.

Old 11-04-2004, 01:52 AM   #7
Forkbeard
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio
Brings to mind "The Nine Tailors," and Fenchurch St. Paul (I believe?--I haven't read that one in a while). I think it was one of the best. 3 of her books are based on a lot of info from her life: Murder Must Advertise (she worked in an ad agency for a spell), Nine Tailors (life growing up where her father was a vicar) and Gaudy Night (women's college at Oxford).

I'm looking up books on the university website right now about Sayers/Christie.
YOu could do a history of the genre, from Doyle and Wilkie Collins to the heyday of CHristie, Sayers, and Allingham.
Forkbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 01:48 AM   #8
Forkbeard
Elven Warrior

Quote:

AH, THe Nine Tailors!! Remains one of my fav Whimsey novels!
Old 11-04-2004, 01:50 AM   #9
Forkbeard
Elven Warrior

Quote:
not Shrewsbury, was it?

Hmm...I hadn't thought of anything like that...Oh wait: on a list of possible topics my teacher had Tolkien's use Beowulf. Thanks Beren.

What a good teacher you must have!
Old 11-04-2004, 06:09 PM   #10
Mercutio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkbeard
What a good teacher you must have!
Yep he's wonderful.

One of my friends is doing his paper on Tolkien & Beowulf.

Old 12-20-2004, 11:00 PM   #11
Mercutio

Inked/Forkbeard--interested in reading my paper? It's in the final stages of revision right now . I'll post it later tonight (probably). Any suggestions you'd have would be helpful.

Old 01-30-2005, 10:44 PM   #12
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
not Shrewsbury, was it?

Yeppers. I've read all of Sayer's novels and short stories (many times ) and some of Christie's.
It seems like Christie's are just who-dun-its. Sayers has much more character development, underlying themes, etc. The mystery itself sometimes becomes merely a backdrop for everything else.

p.s. yes I know that Shrewsbury doesn't actually exist, lol
I hate to throw a spanner in the workings of your good self,
but Shrewsbury most certainly does exist!
it is a town in Shropshire, which is a county in england, between
staffordshire and wales
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 10:53 PM   #13
Mercutio

Shrewsbury's Ladies College at Oxford, that is.

Old 01-30-2005, 11:00 PM   #14
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

oops!
sorry
<clonks head on table repeatedly>
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote