Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-27-2003, 09:53 PM   #1
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

What movies look good?

To take dates on?

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 10:02 PM   #2
Coney II
Elven Warrior

A date? Summit yer ain't telling us here lil' Hobbit

A quick clue.......find out what kinda movies she is into first, the days of gettin' a quick grope during a scary film are long gone
Coney II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 01:06 AM   #3
Brill
Elven Warrior

Like recent movies?
Or genre?
Or use an old example? (IE movie favorites)

I agree with C2, definitely feel around, ask about her favorite movies, and determine what she likes...covert like. Surprises (especially pleasant ones) are nice.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:37 PM   #4
azalea
Long lost mooter

I don't know specifically what's out right now (all the examples I'm giving are old), but as a woman I can give advice:

Romantic comedies are the best (You've Got Mail). Other types of comedies are good as long as they aren't stupid and filled with toilet-humor or chauvanistic humor (Porky's and the like).

A critically acclaimed drama is good (A Few Good Men), as long as there isn't a lot of violence (The Pianist -- the last thing you want is for her to be in an emotionally disturbed state of mind on a "fun" date). Male-oriented action flicks are out (Rambo), but "neutral" (Pirates of the Carribean) or female action flicks (Romancing the Stone?) are fine (as long as they aren't exploitive, ie, an excuse to show a buff scantily clad woman -- Charlie's Angels, Blue Crush or whatever that was -- I didn't see these, but although I think people liked them, you don't want her to think she's competing for your attention with sexy buxom movie stars).

Cartoon movies are always fun (Finding Nemo), girls like a guy that's willing to see the latest Disney movie or whatever.

Don't go to one with a lot of explicit sex, or she might be embarrassed.

Heavy-duty romances or war movies could be good, depending on what it is (Braveheart, as opposed to Saving Private Ryan -- too disturbing), but you don't want sappy, and you don't want a lot of gore. The exception would be if she LIKES horror movies (but still, one like Identity is better than one that's extremely graphic -- like Friday the 13th or something -- because you want her to be spooked enough to grab your arm or whatever, but not grossed out).

I don't think there are any musicals out right now, but since they seem to be making a comeback, I'll mention that they are a fine choice, but only if she likes musicals and wants to see it, and it helps if you like them, so you don't fall asleep! (In fact, avoid falling asleep no matter what genre it is -- get a large caffinated Coke if it's a boring movie).
Also, don't rip apart the movie afterwards if she liked it (even if you HATED it) -- you can say you didn't care for it, and do some analyzing with her, but if she liked it and you say "It was so stupid!" she'll take it as you calling her stupid. If SHE didn't like it and you did, just politely listen to her POV, and if you both hated it, feel free to rip it apart. The best would be if you both like it, because then you have something to talk about for a while afterwards, an excuse to prolong the date!

As usual, I'm long winded, but hope it helps. Sorry I didn't have any current suggestions!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 12:56 AM   #5
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
i think saving private ryan was good
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."-Dr. Bruce Banner
HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
b.banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 12:59 AM   #6
Fion
Hobbit

I'm looing forword to...

ROTK. duh!

Master and Commander looks good, good actors. BILLY BOYD!
Cold Mountian sounds good to!

Troy. Sean Bean and Orlando Bloom. SEAN BEAN!!!!!

Huh, i know of lots of movies coming soon but not a lot of good ones, HA HA HA, Hollywood makes so much trash!

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a massage...

"When evening in the shire was grey / his footsteps on the hill were heard / before the dawn he went away / on journey long without a word."
Fion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 01:12 AM   #7
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I'm going to see "Radio" with my girlfriend Sunday. I better take the tissues. (And they might not be just for her... )

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 07:01 PM   #8
johnnyrod
Elven Warrior

You'll get thrown out for that, man.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:25 PM   #9
Lollypopgurl
Elven Warrior

Did anyone see the Troy trailer? It was pretty cool, especially the beginnig shot.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:06 PM   #10
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by b.banner
i think saving private ryan was good
It was excellent, but it wasn't exactly a good date movie, ie, it doesn't put one in a mood that one would hope to have on a lighthearted evening out with a member of the opposite. Don't you agree?
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 02:53 PM   #11
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
It was excellent, but it wasn't exactly a good date movie, ie, it doesn't put one in a mood that one would hope to have on a lighthearted evening out with a member of the opposite. Don't you agree?
Lol! "I love this movie honey, very romantic" lol!

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 03:43 PM   #12
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Yeah, it would be a good idea to check out what kind of movies she likes first. On my first date with my (now) boyfriend, we saw Anger Management. Not a good first date movie. Too bad I was the one who picked it out, because now I can't give him a hard time about it .

Some good movies out or coming out for dates: Master and Commander, Elf, Matrix Revolutions (if she's into that), Runaway Jury, Gothika (if you're looking for a thriller), and Radio. I might be able to come up with more later.

Tip: DO NOT pull the "yawning and putting arm around shoulder" gig...and absolutely no quick groping. Grr...
Old 11-10-2003, 10:47 AM   #13
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
Yeah, it would be a good idea to check out what kind of movies she likes first. On my first date with my (now) boyfriend, we saw Anger Management. Not a good first date movie. Too bad I was the one who picked it out, because now I can't give him a hard time about it .
That's funny, because that was the first movie I saw in theaters with my girlfriend. Turns out we had a private screening because we went to the 9 o'clock show on a Sunday night, and in our little town, we were the only ones in the theater. So it wasn't bad at all.

Old 11-10-2003, 04:46 PM   #14
gdl96
the greg the admin

Anybody think I should show this to HOBBIT's girlfriend? :P
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 01:40 PM   #15
jellyfishannah
Elven Warrior

I agree with azalea. Not too much gore or too much...all that other stuff. Even though I'm an ardent hater of most romantic comedies, it would be more comfortable to go see on a first date. Especially since it's not really the movie you are going for. (unless it's LOTR) Don't ask me though! I've never even been on a date!
jellyfishannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 08:30 PM   #16
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Well, Khamul, since we weren't really dating yet, it was rather uncomfortable and we had nothing to do to fill up the uncomfortable silence.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:25 PM   #17
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
Well, Khamul, since we weren't really dating yet, it was rather uncomfortable and we had nothing to do to fill up the uncomfortable silence.
Touché.