Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-04-2003, 12:26 AM   #1
littleCat
Elven Warrior

Writers Block

How do you guys deal with writers block? I'm trying to write a sort of rough draft of a fantasy novel and i can;t get past the set up of one of my manin characters.

"I'm not weird, I'm GIFTED!"

I'm really okay.......
littleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 01:25 AM   #2
PippinTook
The Infamous Tea Hobbit

whew, writers block, thats hard. I actually find that it helps to swing over to the rpg forum, it works your brain muscles to be writing for someone other than your charactars in your book. and its fun. It is also a good way to see others peoples writing. anywho, its probably not the best idea for writers block, but it is my opinion.

If I can stop one heart from aching, I shall not live in vain. -Emily Dickinson

But the Master comes, and the foolish crowd
Never can quite understand
The worth of a soul and the change that is wrought
By the touch of the Master's hand.

Though she be but little, she is fierce! -MSND
PippinTook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 10:35 PM   #3
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Music! best medicine in the world for writers block.
write while listening to some Classical. even if your writing stinks, you'll get the hang of it eventually and will start developing a style, et cetera...
Good Luck

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 07:28 PM   #4
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

How to rid of writers block is largely dependant on the writer.

For instance some people just have to sit down and write something, no matter how terrible it seems or how unmotivated they are. It's kind of like exercising; some days you don't want to do it but you push yourself for it anyways and those are usually very helpful days because they increase your will power... or something like that .

Some little ideas to consider might be:

Listening to music (as before stated )

Reading something some one else wrote (also stated before )

Going for a walk

Screaming at the top of your lungs and running around for a bit. (Don't even ask. Just try.)

And of course just sitting and trying to write something, it doesn't matter what.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 08:47 PM   #5
Ninquelote
Elven Warrior

I usually try to change the setting of my writing to stop writer's block. When I type for hours inside and on a computer, I end up getting my best ideas when I'm outside with a pen and paper.
Sometimes I ask a friend to read my existing chapters and then ask their opinion on where they think the story is going, and that could give inspiration.
You could also turn back to what originally spurred you to write the story, perhaps a book you read or a movie you saw.
When all else fails, set a time in your day to just sit at your computer/take your pen and write endlessly, a brainstorm. It really works.

XIAN- for hating Wiccans.
MURDERER- for hating vegetarians.
PREP- for hating Goths.

These are a few of my favourite things, the hypocritical stylings of the most "liberal" groups.
Ninquelote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 07:27 PM   #6
hectorberlioz

i always use pen and paper first . then type it on my computer .
its also a good idea-as Tessar said above-to run around in circles,yelling at the top of your lungs.
also, yelling and chasing your pet(whatever it may be) also helps(but do it outside if possible).

The Da CINDY Code
~

Last edited by hectorberlioz : 11-13-2003 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:30 PM   #7
elvishfaerie3088
Elven Warrior

Hitting an object sometimes works, NOT another person or living thiing though!
Scribbling out what could happen, add a conflict of some sort.
Eat chocolate or chew gum

And when all else fails......

RIP the whole darned thing up and start again! *glares at one of own stories* Decides on last method *Tears* ahhhh much better.
Jack: "Monkey!"
"It's captain Jack Sparrow, captain..."
"If you were waiting for the opportune moment that was it."
Red coat, "Impersonating a judge."
Jack: (Oh, ya that was fun look on his face)
"Do us a favour...i know it's hard...but stay here and try not to do...anything...stupid."
"Yes...but why is the rum gone?!"
"WELL IT BLOODY IS NOW!"

*~~Elvish Faerie~~*
elvishfaerie3088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 01:57 AM   #8
hectorberlioz

of course i was just adding spice to liven things up
lol, i was kidding about the pet thing....

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 11-24-2003, 11:53 PM   #9
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I deal with writers block by skipping the part that I'm stuck on, moving past whatever I'm stuck on, and writing more of the plot. Your story is fluid, you don't need to deal with it in a linear way.

For example: My characters are going to climb a mountain where they will meet a new member of the party. I have an idea about what they will do when they meet the new member, but I don't know how to get them up the mountain. I would start writing about the part I already have an idea for, then work backwards.

If the reason I'm stuck is because nothing much is happening in the next part, like they're just walking from A to B, then I sometimes just put my characters where the action is, further advanced in the plot and have them reflect on how they got there. (You can't do that too much though.) You can also just write about it in the skimpiest of fashions. If you decide later that you skimmed too much, you can always go fill it in. Make sure some type of character development or plot advancement is taking place in each scene. Setting up the next scene is important too.

Lastly, I would suggest that you base your writing on your own experiences, especially fantasy! This way you always have something to draw on and you're not just writing about something cool. Ask yourself, why are you writing this story?

Good luck! Nurv.

(I am spending entirely too much time posting these days. Good thing it's in message board format or I'd never leave.)
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 02:19 AM   #10
PippinTook
The Infamous Tea Hobbit

I get that problem Nurvingiel. I have great ideas for the plot, but the small things in between I get stuck with. And when I have to mold a charactar or place, I have problems. Nurvingiel is right, go ahead and write what you know, then fill in the blanks.
-Pip

If I can stop one heart from aching, I shall not live in vain. -Emily Dickinson

But the Master comes, and the foolish crowd
Never can quite understand
The worth of a soul and the change that is wrought
By the touch of the Master's hand.

Though she be but little, she is fierce! -MSND
PippinTook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 02:25 AM   #11
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Thanks Pip! I'm having that problem right now too! My character has a really important battle with one of the villains, and I can't figure out exactly how it's going to go, apart from that my hero wins. So I wrote a little bit more, but now I'm stuck again! Nyarr. Oh well, I don't really have time to write right now anyway. Cheers!
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 01-19-2004, 10:07 PM   #12
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

For me it makes a big difference why I'm writing it. When I write something for the fun of it, I usually have it all planned out in my head long before I start, if I get writer's block its usually just because I didn't plan a detail, and I just skip it and come back later. However, if I have a writing assignment for school then I often have writer's block. Then I often stop and play a quick game of solitaire or minesweeper on the computer. It sometimes helps because it clears my mind, but not always.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 07:59 PM   #13
Pirate
Enting

I know your pain, Little Cat. Write now I feel like I'm going to just delet my story all together. The beginning of my novel had a simple plot, Serj loves Kali, Kali hates serj, Kali is captured by Serj's enimy, Serj has to save her. But then Serj's enimy makes Kali into an immortal (basicly Vampire but different). This change's Kali in apperence and personality. Serj hates Abbas (the guy that captured Kali) but he can't leave with Kali becuase of a special bond wrapped arounf them that has to do with immortal nature. Kali now loves Serj (but in a wierd only-for-sex kind of way). At the beginng of my book it seemed the plot was mostly about Serj trying to win Kali's love but now Kali does love him. I know what will happen in the end and i've got a few sences planned out here and there but not enough to fill the rest of my book. I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT TO DO!!!! So I went on some websites and stuff about how to plan out a plot and it's even worse! I know what will happen but I still don't know what the problem in my book is supposed to be. I want to write so badly but every word I type is junk! And I've already tried all the above (except maybe running in circles and screaming) Nothing is working
Old 03-06-2004, 01:33 PM   #14
Nimbrennil
Hobbit

I read somewhere this article about how to try to defeat writer's block. Here are some ideas:

The Free-Writing Method

"Get a piece of paper, a pen, and a timer. Sit down, set the timer for two minutes, put your pen on the paper, start the timer, and write! It doesn't matter WHAT you write, BUT YOU MAY NOT STOP WRITING OR TAKE YOUR PEN OFF THE PAPER UNTIL THE TIMER SOUNDS.

"You can do this at the computer, too. Just set your timer, and write.

"In both cases, if what you write is rubbish, it's just clearing that out so the good stuff can take shape. Gradually your mind will shift in the direction you want to go. Remember that you can always cut and paste. This applies as much to manuscript, if you don't use a computer."

The 'Dripping Water' Method

"Again sit down and write anything connected with the subject you want to tackle. But do it in tiny chunks, without using a timer. Write down a working title, for instance.

"Then, walk away, make a drink, cuddle the cat, clean the bathroom, and see what happens.

"If nothing happens, go back and write something else; like a setting you want to you, or a character you have in mind.

"Example: MAIN CHARACTER--TALL, THIN, BOWMAN.

"Then, try changing something. Example: SHORT, FAT, BOWMAN.

"Then consider what difference the change you made will have on the character and the course of your story.

"If that doesn't work, go away and do something else. Keep on like this until the fragments start to piece together. Try changing some of the terms, and see if that helps to stimulate your creativity."

I'm sorry it was so long... but I tried to shorten it, actually... er... Sorry... --Nimbrennil
Nimbrennil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 07:35 PM   #15
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Good advice Nim, I've done the first excercise, and it really works. It's also a good way to relax.

One thing I'll add is have a notebook where you can jot down story ideas. Then, you'll have a stash that you can draw on when you're stuck, and you won't forget anything when you're inspired.
Quote: