Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-08-2003, 06:55 PM   #1
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Contacts!

There was probably already a topic like this created by me - but tough

Last week, I got contacts! Yay. I got them with absolutely no trouble or problems. They did a lousy job of explaining how to do it, but luckily I remembered how to do it. They stuck em in my eyes, then I had to take them out and put them back in. This took 5 min or less and I did it with no practice.

Of course - I could do this now only because i had tried to do this two years ago - failed my first two attempts, then finally got it on the third - then I had trouble getting them out Then I got any infection after a month of wearing them - so I stopped. UNTIL NOW.

I made this topic to discuss contacts, the best kind to get, stories on getting them - i gave a shortened version of the extreme hard time I had when I was 13.

What kind of contacts do you have??? What kind should I get??? They (doctor ppl) want me to order acuvue 2 lenses (2 week disposable). Last time I was on Optima FW 4 week lenses.

I don't know if this is just me or not, but my contacts seem to be drying out. I'm on the second week, and it is harder to put them in than the first week, but easier to take them out becasue they are so dry! The solution: Renu, doesn't seem to work. Last time I had saline, miraflow, disenfectant, cup and disc, enzyme - but only one solution this time.

Would daily lesnes or a different brand work better for me?

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 07:05 PM   #2
johnnyrod
Elven Warrior

It sucks but they're better than specs. I work in a lab so I can't wear them to work; I have daily disposable ones from Boots, which are pretty good. I tried Johnson's AccuVue ones which weren't bad but they were so floppy I struggled to work out if they were inside out or not, and they kept folding back on the end of my digit while trying to get them in.

If you can wear them every day then you can get hard ones which take getting used to and need cleaning but you can wear for longer. Soft ones need taking out more, but if you don't wear them every day then these are the ones for you. Whether you get disposable ones or permanent or somewhere in between is up to you. The daily ones are good cos you can go clubbing with a pair in your jacket just in case you don't make it home before kippy time....

Now go out and get some evil shades
Old 08-08-2003, 07:09 PM   #3
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

I used daily lenses. They were a little more expensive than the weekly or the monthly ones, but the optician told me that daily lenses were the most comfortable.
I had no problems at all with my daily lenses. I took two lenses in the morning, threw them away in the evening and used two new lenses the day after. A friend of mine used weekly lenses, and it seemed quite inconvenient to be forced to save the lenses after taking them out in the evening.

I haven't tried any other lenses than daily ones, but I believe they are the best. Try them.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 07:19 PM   #4
HOBBIT

well how much more are daily lenses than 2 week lesnes?

and what type would be better than acuvue and why??

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Old 08-08-2003, 07:23 PM   #5
johnnyrod
Elven Warrior

Dunno really, you're on a different side of the pond I think. I pay about £110 I think for 90 pairs of daily ones, from Boots Opticians. You'll need to check your local prices. The lenses I used to have were the sme as the ones Soecsavers still do, on silver foil strips, and they were crap, but the ones I have now are loads better. I doubt this helps a lot!
Old 08-08-2003, 07:51 PM   #6
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I wore them for at least 25 years. I started with hard ones, which were pretty painful. Since I was 16 and willing to (practically ) die to be more beautiful, it was a small price to pay! Actually, the hard ones gave me the sharpest vision by far. You can't beat contacts for vision correction. Thank goodness they invented soft ones, they are so nice. I even wore the kind you slept in for a couple of years. I never had any problems. Of course, falling asleep in hard contacts is not something you want to do!

I lost about a million...it's gross when you put them in your mouth and pop them in your eye...but you do sometimes! After I had my last child, I wanted to nap at will, and not have to hassle with taking my contacs out, so I quit wearing them. That was seven years ago. I wear bifocals now, but I just bet they make bifocal contacs! Maybe I'll try a pair again someday, it's wonderful to feel the air on your face. Congratulations HOBBIT!
Old 08-08-2003, 07:59 PM   #7
HOBBIT

actually , I think they do make bifocal contacts

Old 08-08-2003, 08:14 PM   #8
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

I find a duality with contacts and glasses the best. I wear monthly disposables, and since I'm lazy I generally make 'em last WAY longer than I'm supposed to. I've been wearing them for about five or six years now, I suppose (No, not the same ones!) I've never had an eye infection problem, luckily.

I had a friend a few years back who used to sleep in hers and they weren't the kind you were supposed to that with! Funnily enough, she got conjunctivitis not long after.

I've always been comfortable around my eyes, so I didn't have *too* much of a hassle, but I did find that it took me about a month or so to adjust to the "dryness" problem. Now, I don't really notice them unless it's been a long day or something.

It helps to keep a little bottle of multipurpose in your bag at first, so you can give 'em a little bit a moisture when needed.

I'd like to experiment some time with colours, but since my eyes are dark green, I'd have to shell out for the non-transparent ones, since most colours would just wash out. My BF is lucky cos he has light blue eyes, and they pick up the colours really easily.

Last edited by Sheeana : 08-08-2003 at 08:15 PM.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 08:23 PM   #9
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I got mine in the 7th grade, because my eyes were going nearsighted so fast that my doctor wanted to try contacts (which were only hard in those days, and sometimes stopped your eyes from getting worse). They were very hard to get used to, but SO worth it, because I was very active (basketball team, horse shows, etc.), and as Lizra said, just feeling the air on your face is so wonderful! And they DID stop my eyes from getting worse, too, which was nice. But of course when I played basketball, we would sometimes have the famous stop-the-game-and-look-for-the-lens scenario!

I have astigmatism, and have weighted lenses because the lens has to be a certain way on your eye (they make the bottom part heavier so it stays on the bottom). I think Hobbit is right, and they do have bifocal ones. I imagine they would be weighted, too.

I never liked the sleep-in ones, I think it's good for your eye to get a break. I had sleep-in ones at one point, but just took them out every night.

The only thing I can think of about the dryness is sometimes when you're not used to having them in your eyes, you don't blink as much, or you don't blink as hard. Try to notice if this is the case - see how you blink without them, and then how you blink with them in. My doctor told me I was blinking wrong at one point (I was just doing a quick, light blink so they wouldn't move and bother me so much) and once he pointed it out, I was able to fix it and do a good, solid blink, and I've been fine since.

Good luck - I really love 'em, and I hope they work out for you.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 08:41 PM   #10
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Yeah, I'm like that. I've never blinked properly! My optometrist is forever telling me that I have to FULLY close the lid when I blink. Hehe.

Edit: *mental note to finish reading Rian's before repeating her posts*

Last edited by Sheeana : 08-08-2003 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:20 PM   #11
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
Yeah, I'm like that. I've never blinked properly! My optometrist is forever telling me that I have to FULLY close the lid when I blink. Hehe.

Edit: *mental note to finish reading Rian's before repeating her posts*
Who knew contacts were so much work

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 09:42 PM   #12
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Ah, but to "see" without glasses! That is really special!
Old 08-09-2003, 11:27 AM   #13
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Ah, but to "see" without glasses! That is really special!
Haha too true Lizra.

I remember when I first got contacts. I had refused to wear glasses for several years, beacause I hated to wear them. I had the idea I could "see" fine without them. I had no idea I was so "blind". The first day I was like, OH MY GOD this is how the world looks? Seriously I was so surprised that I could actually see ants on the ground without bending over. It was hilarious.

Anywho, contacts are the best. I get weekly disposable, but I take them out every night. That way the contacts last for a month or two and myeyes get a chance to breathe. If I leave them in over night my eyes get red and sore.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 11:49 AM   #14
Elf Girl
Lurker

I've worn contacts for a year now. I love them. My vision is really terrible normally, so to be able to see with what feels like unaided eyes is very nice.

I could never wear hard contacts, I prefer the AcuVue daily ones. (I can take them out in about fifteen seconds, so not much trouble with time.)
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 02:14 PM   #15
HOBBIT

Yeah. I go back to order my contacts from the eye doctor people in a few days. They want me to get acuvue 2 lenses, but the dry thing I don't like.... maybe daily acuvue would feel better?

I just want the most comfortable contacts...and having daily lenses would certianly diminish the chances of getting infections.

When I only had glasses I would often take them off around the house and not put them on immediately in the morning whne I woke up - never really liked glasses.

Out of the house I couldn't imagine not seeing! I don't understand how people do it (including my mom). People who need glasses, who usually have them, but never wear them - mind boggling.

Course, its like 2 pm and i'm not wearing contacts nor wearing glasses I'm going to shower first then put them in.

Yes, to see without glasses is amazing!

too bad that my eyes keep getting worse every year. i get a slightly stronger perscription every year i fear that soon i will be like completely blind with out contacts and glasses (not for several years though)

bop, why a combination of contacts and glasses??! that makes no sense. I think my aunt does that, but only because she has to to see (or something like that). Are your eyes that bad that you have to wear both? That is not any fun - you can't have the feeling of seeing without glasses, it's like you are only wearing glasses, but with the hassle of contacts in addition. Maybe you should get laser eye surgery ? :P

Old 08-09-2003, 06:44 PM   #16
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Oh geez! My glasses are right beside me at all times. First thing I reach for in the morning, so I can see the clock right next to them!
I'd walk into walls if I didn't wear my glasses.
Old 08-09-2003, 07:52 PM   #17
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
bop, why a combination of contacts and glasses??! that makes no sense. I think my aunt does that, but only because she has to to see (or something like that). Are your eyes that bad that you have to wear both? That is not any fun - you can't have the feeling of seeing without glasses, it's like you are only wearing glasses, but with the hassle of contacts in addition. Maybe you should get laser eye surgery ? :P
No - I think what she means is that she wears glasses or contacts and can make a choice as to what she feels like wearing. If she's just around the house -you can easily slip on glasses and not go through the hassle of putting in contacts.

I am basically blind - I can't stand not being able to see. I do sleep with my contacts in, although it's not the best idea sometimes. I just can't stand waking up and not being able to see anything. My eye doctor said I should spend so much time at the computer. Like that is going to happen.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 09:14 PM   #18
HOBBIT

"I find a duality with contacts and glasses the best. "

Hmm, that sounds like contacts with glasses to me. and I know that some people actually do that...so...... let bop answer.

I still wear glasses too (only had contacts for little over a week). I got this new stylish pair Wearing it right now. It is always best to give your eyes a rest.

Old 08-10-2003, 01:55 AM   #19
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
No - I think what she means is that she wears glasses or contacts and can make a choice as to what she feels like wearing. If she's just around the house -you can easily slip on glasses and not go through the hassle of putting in contacts.
Yeppers. I only wear contacts when I'm going to work, and sometimes at uni. I wear my glasses around home. I juggle between these, because as I stated earlier, I don't tend to blink properly, so my contacts can get quite dry and irritating.

Tristan, you really have to give contacts about a month to adjust to the dry feeling, and then you can see what type of lenses to go for. At the moment, they will all feel quite dry and "strange" to you.

Edit: If I wear contacts AND glasses, then it all goes blurry. Why would anyone double these two up?
Old 08-10-2003, 08:04 AM   #20
congressmn
Incharge: neighbourhood security

i get mine tomorrow.

i have ruined my eyes in the last two years.

they are getting weaker by the day