Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-21-2003, 08:56 AM   #1
Durin1
Elven Warrior

Favourite human hero in The Sil

There were many herioc men during the first age, but my favourite would have to be Hurin.

He is not the typical "tall" blonde, stereotype normally associated with Tolkien's heroes and he comes across as being very noble and lacking in ego (especially alongside the ridiculous Morwen).

P.S
Can't stand Tuor! Prefer Turin, even if he did cause more trouble tha he was worth!

Don't ask me why but Tuor just comes across as being a bit too perfect and everything just seems to fall onto his lap. Idril, for example, he'd hardly been in Gondolin five minutes and already he was able to pick out one of the most beautiful girls in Beleriand! Sickening.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:31 AM   #2
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Probalbly Turin because I always loved his story.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:59 AM   #3
Sween
im quite stupid

i personally do like Tour and i dont think everything fell into his lap the fall of Gondolin had to be trying! Turin doesnt intrest me at all for some reason i think Beren pretty cool as well
Old 08-21-2003, 10:19 AM   #4
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Though he doesn't seem to be very nice of character and could result rather unfriendly, since I read The Wanderings of Hurin, I'm very impressed with him too. A simple gaze of him would put his enemies to run.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:27 PM   #5
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Húrin, certainly. I haven't finished all of "The Wanderings of Húrin", but combined with the texts found in the Silmarillion he is definetly my favorite.

Last edited by Falagar : 08-21-2003 at 12:29 PM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 01:52 AM   #6
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I love Tuor, he's one of my all-time favorite characters. So poo on you.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:20 PM   #7
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Heroes are so much more interesting when things go bad for them. Therefore I pick Túrin before Tuor. Definitely.

[EDIT] It just came to my mind that things didn't go really good for Húrin either . But what the heck, I stick with Túrin. Húrin just sat there imprisoned for many years and didn't do anything. Túrin had a much more interesting life.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 08-23-2003 at 03:52 AM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 09:30 PM   #8
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I did not find Morwen to be ridiculious.

I did like the character or, maybe I should say, the story that revolved around the character of Turin. Of course, he was prideful and although under a curse, I believe he caused much of his own misfortune.

Not too fond of many of the Human males of the First Age.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 11:29 PM   #9
Maedhros
The Tall

From The Lays of Beleriand: The Lay of the Children of Húrin
Quote:
Then Húrin answered, Hithlum's chieftain --
his shining eyes with sheen of fire
in wrath were reddened: 'O ruinous one,
by fear unfettered I have fought thee long,
nor dread thee now, nor thy demon slaves,
fiends and phantoms, thou foe of Gods! '
His dark tresses, drenched and tangled,
that fell o'er his face he flung backward,
in the eye he looked of the evil Lord --
since that day of dread to dare his glance
has no mortal Man had might of soul.
Húrin of course.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 03:55 AM   #10
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

This thread has many similarities with Maedhros's Greatest of Edain thread.
It's worth checking out.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 04:20 AM   #11
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Hurin? Pah. Gimme Turin any day of the week.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 05:27 PM   #12
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Not too fond of many of the Human males of the First Age.
I suppose in an age with a certain Elf named Finrod, all other males naturally fail to impress...

Personally my favorite is Tuor, partially because the connection with Gondolin but still. He's the only man that is counted among the Elves.

Túrin is too much dark and brooding for my taste.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:53 AM   #13
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Tuor, he's the son of a fallen hero and savior of both races. Though when it came down to it not a lot of people listened to him.

Second would be Hurin. He defied Morgoth to his face.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 04:23 AM   #14
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Still Húrin for me I think. And lately I've become more and more impressed by Morwen. She was strong, fearless and faithful.
Old 08-24-2003, 04:08 PM   #15
Elenna Alaniel
Hobbit

Beren and Hurin.but I also like Haleth.she was relly strong woman
Old 08-26-2003, 06:23 PM   #16
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

I don't really know. Beren is a favourite of mine, of course, but after that quote about Hurin - Thank you Maedhros! - I'm leaning a bit over that way too. Not too keen on Turin, but the thing is: none of it was really his fault, except for pride. Not his fault he married his sister, or anything. Poor bloke.
Lanelf.

Artemis Fowl must find Mulch Diggums!

You'll never shut down the real Napster
Lanelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 02:40 PM   #17
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
Hurin? Pah. Gimme Turin any day of the week.
Let's see:
From the Appendix of the Narn:
Quote:
For fear of that helm all foes avoided him, and thus it was that he came off unhurt from that deadly field. It was thus that he came back to Nargothrond wearing the Dragon-helm, and Glaurung, desiring to rid Túrin of its aid and protection (since he himself feared it), taunted him, saying that surely Túrin claimed to be his vassal and retainer, since he bore his master's likeness on the crest of his helm.
But Túrin answered: "Thou liest, and knowest it. For this image was made in scorn of thee; and while there one to bear it doubt shall ever assail thee, lest the bearer deal thee thy doom."
"Then it must await a master of another name," said Glaurung; "for Túrin son of Húrin I do not fear. Otherwise is it. For he has not the hardihood to look me in the face, openly."
And indeed so great was the terror of the Dragon that Túrin dared not look straight upon his eye, but had kept the visor of his helmet down, shielding his face, and in his parley had looked no higher than Glaurung's feet. But being thus taunted, in pride and rashness he thrust up the visor and looked Glaurung in the eye.
So we have Túrin who was afraid and daunted by the eyes of Glaurung, a mere vassal of Morgoth, while Thalion the Steadfast look at Morgoth's eyes undaunted.

And Túrin is greater than Húrin? Hehe.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:06 PM   #18
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

At what point did I say GREATEST? Where does it say GREATEST in the thread title?
Old 08-27-2003, 06:33 PM   #19
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
At what point did I say GREATEST? Where does it say GREATEST in the thread title?
Better? Pah. Weaker in might of soul? Yes. Killing his friend with a sword? Yes.
Túrin over Húrin? Pah, Pah.
As a noun American is:

1. The United States.

Old 08-27-2003, 08:31 PM   #20
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

At least Turin wasn't stupid enough to go and get himself ensnared by Morgoth. You could almost say that the Doom of Turin was Hurin's fault.

Pah, pah, pah.