Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-25-2005, 02:11 AM   #1
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

A "Great Hall of Entmoot"?

What do the Entmooters think of this idea? Perhaps a subforum could be created in General Messages called "The Great Hall of Entmoot", or something of the like. Or it could be a new forum in the "other topics" section of Entmoot. This place would be like the Teacup Café in that it's a place where virtual events can go on, and we would move around as virtual selves. However, it would have many different rooms, and these different places would be the different threads.

There could be a gym. There could be a large swimming pool area. There could be a technology center and a lounge. We could connect the Teacup Café to this larger building, as well.

Recently the Teacup Café was overrun for six pages with a ferocious RPG style war. The Hall might be able to go through similar experiences. It would be a virtual place that we could do fun things in, and invent fun things in, with our virtual selves.

I actually had this idea quite a while ago, but shelved it. Lotesse's recent beautiful changes to the Teacup Café brought it to mind again, however, and I chose this time to act on it.

What do you all think? A good idea, or no?
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 09-25-2005 at 02:13 AM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 02:13 AM   #2
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Good idea! I'll give all my support.

Last edited by trolls' bane : 09-25-2005 at 02:14 AM.
trolls' bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 02:13 AM   #3
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Just make this thread, what you just created, the new "Great Hall." Could it work like that? I think it could, if the mods & admins let us do it. We shall see...

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 02:13 AM   #4
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I'd think not, since the only chat thread/area/board was supposed to be the Tea Cup Cafe .

Honestly, if people want to RPG as themselves they can do it in the Tea Cup Cafe.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 02:17 AM   #5
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Just make this thread, what you just created, the new "Great Hall." Could it work like that? I think it could, if the mods & admins let us do it. We shall see...
It could. I think a whole forum or subforum would be more enjoyable, where we could have a different topic for each room. You've made such nice adjustments to the Teacup Café that we could really just do all of this there! The organization and scale would be much broader if it actually was a forum or subforum of its own. Also you could have people building their own places there, though probably building rights would have to be given by a moderator.

This could all be done in the Teacup Café. The problem is just what I said earlier, the scale and organization wouldn't be as good. It still would be very fun even in just that one thread, however .

Though I must say, if it was all one thread, some poor bystanders like RÃ*an might have difficulty finding a peaceful place for a crumpet.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 09-25-2005, 02:17 AM   #6
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

See, that too. (in response 2 Tessar) That's what I kinda figured, but... it still is a nice idea.

We'd need an awful lot of people clamouring for it, though, to make it an even slightly viable option, Lief. The Teacup serves its purpose for that really well, at this point. I don't know if Entmoot could really accomodate a whole 'nother sub-forum, just for RPG-like fun chatting. Hmm. Sure would be fun, but...

Old 09-25-2005, 02:19 AM   #7
trolls' bane

Napoleon: Snowball, I fully support your windmill!
Old 09-25-2005, 02:19 AM   #8
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
We'd need an awful lot of people clamouring for it, though, to make it an even slightly viable option, Lief. The Teacup serves its purpose for that really well, at this point. I don't know if Entmoot could really accomodate a whole 'nother sub-forum, just for RPG-like fun chatting. Hmm. Sure would be fun, but...
That's true . Well, it's an idea.

Old 09-25-2005, 02:22 AM   #9
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

And an impressive idea, at that. It just takes a lot more than one would think of, to really make room for all the extra sub-forum space. Maybe that's why it has taken such an extensive, dedicated petitioning effort to get a Narnia forum made.

Old 09-25-2005, 02:31 AM   #10
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I don't know anything about the way technical things like space management function, so I really didn't think of that.

Anyway, I think it wouldn't do any harm to just leave this thread open and see how many are interested . Besides, it's a fun dream .

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 09-25-2005 at 02:34 AM.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:34 AM   #11
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Well, I know Ben has concerns about bandwidth, and I could see that just being one huge, bandwidth black hole.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:36 AM   #12
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Very well, you can close the thread .

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 09-25-2005 at 02:37 AM.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:42 AM   #13
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Yeah, there's a reason why fun threads like the 'Previous Poster' or 'Anything' thread (is that what it was called?) were deleted. All that stuff is condensed into the one café now.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 02:48 AM   #14
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I don't have the final say on it--I think it's a really cute idea, even if I wouldn't participate in it myself. I'm just going to leave the thread open to see what other people have to say.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:35 AM   #15
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

The idea reminds me of the 'Entmoot parties' threads that were held in the RPG-forum when I first joined. People were role playing there as their own virtual selves on one giant party in the thread-starter's virtual house. But those threads died out after three instalments. People lost interest.

The idea is definitely food for thought and I think there may be fun to be had with it. But I'm not sure whether it warrants a whole new sub-forum.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:19 PM   #16
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Maybe it could go in the RPG forum for now, and if it really takes off over a sustained period of time, it could "graduate" to its own forum.

Lief, are you thinking of starting threads with different room names or something?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 08:57 PM   #17
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

since we are allies the EMPIRE gives you their approval, we could loan you some of our Lief clones to build it and be security too. (dang it )
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 11:44 PM   #18
trolls' bane

The Martian government also lends its support.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:37 PM   #19
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Hey, how about if I start experiments with squirrels and TNT...
(Here we go again... )
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 03:01 PM   #20
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

How about if evil squirrels of Mirkwood start experimenting with some elven warriors?
Do you know, by the way, where all those ugly spiders come from?
CrazySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote