Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-06-2004, 03:21 PM   #1
Yodaman
Elven Warrior

Strider Cool Reference

Hey. The other day, I got the novel 'Star Trek Deep Space Nine: This Gray Spirit' (the second in the mission gamma quadrilogy and the sixth in the post-Deep Space nine series) by Heather Jarman, and I noticed a ton of cool Tolkien references. First, to 'Tod' in the acknowledgements, she says 'Not all those who wander are lost', which is obviously Aragorn's line in FOTR. Then, as an opening quote she uses the one quote from ROTK (this was in the TTT movie) where Eowyn says that her fear is being in a cage and why. However, in the actual novel itself there are no other Tolkein references, and the book isn't like Tolkien in any way. It's an okay book, since the was the author's first book (it was published two years ago).

However, in the acknowledgements, to a 'Suzanah' she says some stuff in a language that is obviously some form of Elvish (can't tell if it's Sindarin or Quenya). She says:

Law, hîr nÃ*n, ú dollen I Rîw. AnÃ*rach, nui lû, gwannad uin gwaith lin?

I don't know any Tolkien languages, but I do own The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth by Ruth S. Noel, and from that I got ([UN] = untranslatable):

[UN], lord wet, not hidden that winter. [UN], [UN] [UN], [UN] [UN] people sing?

It's bugging me that I can't get it. Can any of you translate it? Thanks
Old 11-06-2004, 03:27 PM   #2
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I also have that book. It's annoying that it doesn't include some simple words like and and the.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 06:18 PM   #3
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

It's from the movies. Arwen says it. They translated it: "No, my lord, the winter hasn't come. Do you wish, before the time, to leave your people?" She's talking to Elrond, but the source is Appendix A and is supposed to be said to Aragorn as he prepares for death. *shrug* The film people play fast and loose with Elvish, freely mixing words from both cultures.

Last edited by Elfhelm : 11-19-2004 at 07:15 PM.
Elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote