Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-27-2003, 11:39 PM   #1
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Creating Plots

So here's a thread on plot:
Thinking up a plot is always hard for me. I contribute the following short story to show the problem: the plot is infinitesimal. I need to work on it more (suggestions welcome!)
It needs conflict and action.

___________________________________________--
SERENA
(Love always means taking a risk . . .)

“Here’s a website,” said Serena, “that says that all men are evil dark vampires lurking to feed off of the live-giving energy force of women.”

“Um-hum,” said Richard, giving her a hug around her shoulders. “And do you believe that?”

“Probably not,” she said. She clicked again. “Here’s one for women only: to join you have to recognize your flower-like qualities -- am I a lotus floating in the warm currents of life, connected to the mundane earth only by a slender stem?”

“That’s you, for sure.” He kissed her ear.

“Stop that!” She twisted in the chair and grabbed his hair. “How can I concentrate on serious matters?”

“The web will still be there tomorrow and tomorrow - give it a break. You’ve been on all morning. You'll dry up and blow away.”

“But my site needs so much work. It’s a mess. There’s nothing on it.”

“Write some more poems. Write some about me - intelligent, charismatic, handsome --”

“Vampire-like,” she added.

“I am nothing like a vampire. Just because I like to suck your blood . . .” He bared his teeth at her. “Seriously, you’re doing great for having been on the computer only a couple of weeks. I wish my students could pick it up that fast.”

“It’s challenging,” she said, shaking back her hair with a sigh. “So much more interesting than what I used to do.”

“I hope you don’t miss it too much.”

` She looked up at him. “Don’t worry. As long as you’re around -- “

“Which will be forever.”

“Let’s not get carried away.” She raised an admonitory finger.

He drew a deep breath and asked, “Why don’t we go to the beach this weekend?”

“It’s November,” she said. “It’ll be cold and gray --”

“I don’t care,” he said. “It won’t matter to you -- and all I care about is whether you’re happy.”

“Don’t be silly,” she said, but he saw her smile. “Did you hear from the wheelchair people yet?”

“They confirmed my order. Should arrive downtown by Tuesday, I just have to pick it up. I still think we should consider --”

“No, I don’t need some four thousand dollar wonder machine. Just something simple we can fold up and stick in the back seat.”

“But an electric --”

“There’s nothing wrong with my arms. The exercise will do me good.”

“You’re the boss. You about ready for the tub?”

“Give me five more minutes. Go run the water like a dear. And not too warm this time, please.”

“Brrr.” He went into the bathroom and turned on the faucet. He could hear her typing briskly. He was still amazed at how quickly she had picked up the intricacies of the machine and the Internet.

He stood in the bathroom doorway and looked at her, a half smile on his face. Her masses of redgold hair tumbled down the back of one of his white shirts as she leaned forward, intent on the monitor. If her website readers could see her, the sheer beauty and grace of her, they would flock to read what she wrote -- he was still amazed and slightly stunned that she was with him. A little worried as well - he had to be honest with himself - that she might choose to go and not return. But he could not keep her prisoner. They would go to the beach, she would enjoy herself, and she would come back to him. And if not -- he would cherish what he had had. He opened his hands slightly. The poets all said it: you have to set free what you truly wish to keep.

The tub was two-thirds full. He turned it off and went back to the living room. “If Milady is ready. . .”

“Signing off.” A brisk click, and she turned to lift her arms to him. He brushed the thick hair back from her shoulder and bent to lift her in his arms. She was heavier than she looked, but still not much of a burden.

She rested her cheek on his shoulder as he carried her to the bathroom. Once there he lowered her gently into the water. Her tailfin curved out of the tub, but at least the rest of her fit nicely.

“Now,” she said, “could you just hand me that book on the counter?”

“Myths and Legends,” he read as he handed it to her. “Reading up on your fellow mythical beings?”

“Pays to know the competition.” She smiled up at him, and his heart melted once more.

Old 05-29-2003, 11:54 PM   #2
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

So by plot, you mean what should happen to these two? She's a mermaid who has just gotten addicted to the internet, he's a human (teacher) who's in love with her...Why is she with him? What did she used to do? Something *strange* could happen due to something she puts on her website...?
Old 05-30-2003, 01:40 AM   #3
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Good thoughts. Sounds like you've been reading Orson Scott Card's book on characterization (he's always asking questions like that.)
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 04:00 AM   #4
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Unless you want to develop the story into something a lot longer, I'm not sure it does need more conflict and action. It is very short, but it has an unexpected and interesting twist, which can be better for a short story than a complex plot, IMHO
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 07:01 AM   #5
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

There are countless things that can happen if they go to the beach. She might feel the lure of the sea again and decide to go home. He would probably try to persuade her to stay then. Or they might meet another mythical sea creature. It could provide some nice situations, especially since she's been reading up on them.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:55 AM   #6
galadriel
Elven Warrior

Personally, I would keep it as a vignette. Everything you really know about the characters is there. But if you *do* have plans to develop it into a longer story... there's definitely a lot of background on the characters that would probably lead us to a more complete understanding of the situation, and add the conflict that you need.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 11:31 AM   #7
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

I've always wondered how writers choose to do their pre-work when writing novels or shortstories, and have come to understand that writers have different approaches to this.

So I got an idea that I believe is sound, I've created the Protagonist which I believe has become real enough for a reader to become attached to, the protagonists history and current life provides more then enough of possible conflicts. So from here I guess it is all about outlining the plot to make it all easier when I actually start writing the whole thing into detail, right?

So what are your opinion on the next approach here? What do you usually do?

Is it usefull to write down points which might happen and just scribbling down tons of ideas, before actually making any structure to it all? Or is it the best to outline a scetchy plotline from beginning to end, spice it up and alter a little, and then start to write the actual novel upon these bones?

What I find difficult is where to begin, I have so many ideas that I've got down on paper, but I can't see how to start the story. Perhaps I'll just have to wait for the day when it all turns logical to me, or perhaps it is a trick to it?

All I have now are ideas, no structure. How I hate working on the pre-plotting But I guess it will be for the better in the end
Old 07-08-2003, 11:53 AM   #8
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I would start with an outline, just like you used to do in school. Start with the largest plot and character points and develop them on down. I'd spend much time mulling that outline, writing little stories on points as they came to me. Eventually, I would hope to have enough bits to start to thread them all together into the full story. The goal would be to have things worked out fairly logically before embarking on beautiful writing!
Old 07-12-2003, 03:57 PM   #9
Elvedans
Diamond Of The Night Sky

I usually come up with ideas while i'm in bed. I have one main idea for a story then i think of a few characters then what they do to affect the story. I generall have a vague idea of the plot but never bother going into detail on the sequence of events before i begin - too tedious!
Elvedans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 07:20 PM   #10
galadriel
Elven Warrior

I always plot out my best stories more-or-less meticulously, but my outlines are always subject to change. The first stages of my outline are usually iffy, I'll even write notes and questions next to it so that I can revise it later. Once I smooth out those points, I have a working outline.

Then I begin writing the story, but I use a mini-outline for each chapter so that I know exactly what I'm writing before I start. The mini-outline usually changes many times, and as I progress in the story, so does the major outline.

Because my outlines go through so many changes, I could technically do without them. However, they help me to remember my ideas and keep on track so that I don't lose sight of the big picture. Stories that I outline are usually more cohesive; everything fits together better.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 07:39 AM   #11
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Plot is so hard! I just realized I have about fifty pages of story with no plot whatsoever. Well almost no plot.

I liked your story as just what you posted there. Just a short little descriptive piece with lots of dialogue. It's very sweet.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 11:53 AM   #12
katya
Elven Maiden

Typically, my stories come from my imagination. I will just sit there (perhaps when I am going to sleep) and think about a unique situation that sometime develops into a story. If I try to just write an outline before I write, I won't be able to think of anything. Instead, I usually think for a while before I start writing something about how it should be set up, for example, first person, third person, etc. In the story I am writing now, I got half done, then I realized I might have a hard time finishing it, because the plot changes from going back and forth between two differnt things, to sort of blending them together. It would be easy to just end the story in one more chapter, but I really don't want to do that. It wouldn't work with the rhythm. Anyway, so what I did is just write a short outline of the rest of the plot. I usually don't use one though. I guess I just have one in my head.

By the way, nice story, Entlover.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 01:20 PM   #13
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Fifty pages with no plot at all! EG! You are making your workload triple (at least!) by working backward! Course, you could save the stuff, to tuck into future "plots"!