Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-18-2005, 07:48 PM   #1
camerlyrose
Sapling

music as a use of power

Music is everywhere throughout the Silmarillion. Why is it so important? Are there any connections to Tolkein's concepts of enchantment, magic and subcreration? What are the effects of the music's power? What are the sources?
camerlyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 02:54 PM   #2
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

i've wondered about that too, C.S Lewis, had a very similar type of thing going on in "the magicians nephew" i think they must have talked about with each other at least, although i don't know where the idea came from originally
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 11:48 PM   #3
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Very good thoughts, camerlyrose - and Welcome to Entmoot! (if you like, we have an introductions thread for new members, stuck to the top of General Messages)

I see two aspects of it: One is the role music and song have played in myth and storytelling in ancient times - and perhaps a 'spiritual' dimension of that which related to fortune-telling, etc. The other is that perhaps it adds another dimension to the Biblical account of creation where God speaks things into existence.

In the case of The Silmarillion - everything seems to be sung into existence. And my understanding of the forsight that some have (especially Elves and Maiar), is that they know bits and pieces of the music that was sung before creation began - and that's what gives them clues to how something will come out.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 05:43 PM   #4
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

I talked about this quite a bit in another thread: My new theory on Tom Bombadil in the Middle Earth forum, mostly the first and last few posts. My idea was that Tom Bombadil was literally part of the music, but I got pretty deep about the creative power of music in one of my later posts.
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 06:02 PM   #5
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

Here's a link to the specific post I was talking about.

Anyway, welcome to Entmoot, camerlyrose! I hope you come back and continue to post.

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote