Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-06-2003, 10:24 AM   #1
Opan
Enting

Which one first?

I was just posting to ask u all...

Did u read the Silmarillion BEFORE LOTR or after.....?

And which one would u read first now if u wanted to read them both again?

Just a question of interest thats all because i havent yet read the S - and was wondering would the trilogy have been better if i had read it before hand?
Opan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 10:32 AM   #2
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Re: Which one first?

I read the Sil after I read Lotr and the Hobbit....the Sil is my favorite book but I think I liked reading Lotr first b/c there's alot of mystery there still regarding the elves' history and such
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 10:34 AM   #3
Opan
Enting

Thats what i was thinking.......because i definately want to read more about the elves....i'm in love with that race lol
Old 06-06-2003, 10:38 AM   #4
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Opan
Thats what i was thinking.......because i definately want to read more about the elves....i'm in love with that race lol
they are awesome aren't they! (especially the Noldor!) but I must warn you that it take at least 2-3 time to really love and understand the Silmarillion...there's alot of info in that book and alot of names and places to remember
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 10:47 AM   #5
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

I read LotR first. The Silmarillion is my favorite though. The Silmarillion really enhanced my love for LotR.
Crist by Cynewulf (lines 104-5)
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 11:01 AM   #6
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I think reading LotR first is the best choice. Then the Silmarillion and then the Unfinished Tales. I prefer the UT to the Silmarillion. If you have read these three books you could start with the HoME series.
Old 06-06-2003, 01:42 PM   #7
Opan
Enting

yeah...i've flicked through the Silmarillion and there seems to be a HUGE amount of info with names and p[laces etc..... It seems quite daunting but.....hey....i think i'll give it ago seeing allt he praise thta it has got
Old 06-06-2003, 04:26 PM   #8
Silpion
Elven Warrior

I read Lord of the Rings then The Silmarillion. When I read The Silmarillion, I then read Lord of the Rings again and it was a richer story.
Silpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 04:35 PM   #9
LutraMage
Elven Warrior

Location: Tolkien's England where the tale grew in the telling...
Same here, first LoTR, then TS. In fact, first The Hobbit. I think I would recommend that as the order to read the books, but with a warning to any adults reading Tolkien for the first time that TH is a fairy story for children, but well worth the read, whereas LoTR is definitely for children and adults.
"Pity? It was Pity that stayed his hand. Pity, and Mercy: not to strike without need. And he has been well rewarded, Frodo. Be sure that he took so little hurt from the evil, and escaped in the end, because he began his ownership of the Ring so, with Pity."

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

"Very well,' he answered aloud, lowering his sword. 'But still I am afraid. And yet, as you see, I will not touch the creature. For now that I see him, I do pity him."
LutraMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 11:21 PM   #10
Anglorfin
Alasailon

When I was little my dad read me the Hobbit. As I got older I read LotR by myself a few times before my dad got me the Silmarillion for my birthday or something. I then read that once, then LotR, then Sil, then LotR, and so on,...recently I have been reading UT and BoLT.

WHen I got my friends into reading Tolkien I told them to start with the Silmarillion. The movies had already come out and I didn't want to wait a long time for them to finish LotR and constantly talk about book vs. movie related stuff, so I just explained the story to them as they read the Silmarillion. I figure tackling the Sil first would prove to me their devotion to the actual world of Tolkien istead of them just going "mainstream" and picking up LotR and forgetting about it. Now that they have read both Sil and LotR they are glad that I made them read Sil first.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 08:04 AM   #11
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

I read LotR before the Silm. And I like that I read it that way- not entirely sure why. Sometimes it's more interesting to read things out of chronological order, IMO anyway. The 'Rings of Power...' chapter was very enjoyable for me, simply because it related to the events of the WotR. It just made things clearer- and if I could go back in time, and read the Silm first, I wouldn't.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 08:16 AM   #12
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

it seems i'm the one that read first the Silm. A friend made me a briefing of its story and i decided i had to read that book.

when i finished, i read TH and then LOTR. and then Sil. again... you know...
Old 06-07-2003, 08:32 AM   #13
Elf Girl
Lurker

If you read the Sil first it gives away LotR's ending.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 09:28 AM   #14
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

i read LotR first, then the Sil. next time, i will read the Sil first

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 10:09 AM   #15
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
originally posted by Elf Girl
If you read the Sil first it gives away LotR's ending.
Right. That's why it's wrong to read Sil befroe LOTR.

I read LOTR befroe Sil.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 01:09 PM   #16
Anglorfin
Alasailon

It doesn't really matter anymore with the movies coming out now. Besides when my friends read the Sil first they felt great that they weren't just part of the movie fanclub that flocked to LotR books right away. They had a bit more knowledge to wave over everybody else's heads.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 08:03 PM   #17
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

I read the Hobbit, then Two Towers, then Silmarillion, then Return of the King, then Fellowship. But I wasn't confused about what happened because I listened to the Fellowship on tape before I read TTT.

"Most people never been to Hell," Jacob said.

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"
Ornelírë Mistë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 05:21 AM   #18
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
Right. That's why it's wrong to read Sil befroe LOTR.
And not only that it gives away the ending, but I think it's important to see if you're into Tolkien's world in the first place. People who have read LotR beforehand, have still been deterred from reading the Silm because of its complexity/difficulty. Imagine someone reading the Silm first, and assuming the rest of JRRT's works are in that style- they wouldn't even bother with LotR!

This is sort of why I would recommend LotR before the Silm. The Silm provided a lot more background info for me, which made LotR clearer. Who knows what would have happened if I read the Silm first, but? I would have been too confused and disinterested, maybe.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 11:19 AM   #19
Ruinel
Banned

Actually, I read The Hobbit first, it was required reading at my school. Then LotR: FotR, TTT, RotK. Then The Sil. Then BoLT1. Then BoLT2. Then UT. Then Morgot's Ring. Then WotJ. Then PoME. I'm currently working on picking up other books as well.

Pre-Hobbit and LotR stories are still my favorite stories.

I'm also interested in the poetry Tolkien wrote.

Quote:
Originally posted by Anglorfin
It doesn't really matter anymore with the movies coming out now. Besides when my friends read the Sil first they felt great that they weren't just part of the movie fanclub that flocked to LotR books right away. They had a bit more knowledge to wave over everybody else's heads.
O.o It does matter... the movies and the books are very different. And the books are sooooooo much better than the movies.

Last edited by Ruinel : 06-09-2003 at 11:21 AM.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 03:27 PM   #20
LutraMage
Elven Warrior

Location: Tolkien's England where the tale grew in the telling...
First TH, then LoTR, then TS
"Pity? It was Pity that stayed his hand. Pity, and Mercy: not to strike without need. And he has been well rewarded, Frodo. Be sure that he took so little hurt from the evil, and escaped in the end, because he began his ownership of the Ring so, with Pity."

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

"Very well,' he answered aloud, lowering his sword. 'But still I am afraid. And yet, as you see, I will not touch the creature. For now that I see him, I do pity him."
LutraMage is offline   Reply With Quote