Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-24-2002, 01:46 PM   #1
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

if I'll write the real name of the thread, no one will get in. (Baldur's Gate)

do anyone ever heard about the computer game "Baldur's Gate"? if yes, post about it. If not, post about it.

Last edited by Radagast The Brown : 09-27-2002 at 08:47 AM.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 04:13 PM   #2
entss89
lord of the ents

okey so what is this game you are talking about? is it fun?
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 05:34 PM   #3
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yep, I almost finished Neverwinter Nights (based on Baldur's Gate engine) before I got bored of it.

I've played a lot of Shadows of Amn as well, but eh, it's HUGE. I got bored of being all heroic after a while. I'll probably play it again sometime as an evil blighter. I've also got Baal around here somewhere, and some extention packs. It's on my play list right after Syberia......
Old 09-24-2002, 06:55 PM   #4
Elvet
Elven Warrior

I have heard about it, because I'm an avid PC gamer. But my interest is in non-shooter first person adventure games, so I can't comment further. I'm sure there are web sites you could go to for additional feedback.
BoP - I have Syberia on my shelf waiting to be played. What do you think of it? The adventure games community is calling it the game of the year. Everyone that posts about it raves about it. I was going to play it after gardening season is over, when I can sit and enjoy it without distractions.
Old 09-24-2002, 07:08 PM   #5
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Well, the BF is monopolising it at the moment, from what I've seen, it looks really good. But I've heard that it's really short.

Have you played The Longest Journey? It's one of the best modern adventure games that I've ever played. I would even go so far as to say that it was up there with some of the classic lucasarts ones.
Old 09-24-2002, 07:29 PM   #6
Elvet
Elven Warrior

Yup. I played TLJ last year, and I agree that it was an excellent game. There is even buzz about a TLJ 2 possibility. There is so much in that game that is interesting - Science vs. magic and the idea of Shape shifting. There is enough premise for April to continue her adventure.
My all time favorite game is Riven, with Myst and Myst exile close runner ups. I played the early Lucas Arts Indy adventure on floppies, and recently finished the secrets of Monkey Island.
Old 09-24-2002, 07:49 PM   #7
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I adored Myst. I quickly lost patience with Riven unfortunately, because of the amount of times I had to keep changing the CDs...

Monkey Islands 1, 2, and 3 are pretty good, but 4 sucked. I prefer Day of the Tentacle anyway.

I've heard that Sam and Max and Full throttle are both scheduled for sequels, and I'm remaining quietly optimistic that they will be better than Monkey Island 4.

Have you played Maniac Mansion? Indy and the fate of Atlantis? Or was it Crusade that you played?

I've heard the rumours of TLJ 2 as well. There's a thingy that you can sign, asking for a sequel somewhere. It was in my sig at one time.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:11 PM   #8
Elvet
Elven Warrior

Very sorry, Radagast, for getting off topic.
I played Indy and the Fate of Atlantis. I borrowed Day of the Tentacle and had to return it before I finished, but would like to replay it some day. It's hard to get hold of. Riven comes in a DVD format if you are interested. Schizm is a fairly recent game that has wonderful graphics and really tough puzzles ( best to play in DVD as well). I collect PC games and am trying to gather some of the oldies - Reah, Obsidian, Shivers. I am even getting an 'old'
Win 95 computer so I can play them with less hassle and tweaking. My present computer is geared up for the newer games.
Old 09-25-2002, 04:07 PM   #9
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Day of the Tentacle and Sam & Max were once my favourites, but Grim Fandango blew me away...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 05:09 PM   #10
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Ooh, I must play Grim again. Don't know if it tops Sam and Max though....
Old 11-11-2002, 04:21 AM   #11
GandalfTheWhite
Elven Warrior

my friend actually beat BG 2 and started on throne of baal expansion, but never finished, im a diablo II fan myself

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

"He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."
-Gandalf

"A thing is about to happen which has not happened since the Elder Days: the Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong."
-Gandalf
GandalfTheWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 05:15 PM   #12
GRONK!!!
Hobbit

GRONK beat Baldur's Gate II and the expansion a while ago. To be honest though he rushed through the whole thing and used cheap tricks like setting traps under where he knew bosses would appear. Its worth beating just for the character epilogues which are hilarious. (might only hold true if you use the humorous characters like Minsc and Jan)

And whats wrong with Monkey Island 4???
GRONK!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 06:56 PM   #13
BeardofPants
the Shrike

It just wasn't as classy or clever as numbers 1 and 2. Although it was pretty cool when you found out that
Herman Toothrot was Elaine's father.

I tried the speedy way through Baldur's gate 2, but I kept getting caught up in various missions. It just got tiresome being a hero after a while.
Old 11-16-2002, 12:04 AM   #14
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Have you played Maniac Mansion? Indy and the fate of Atlantis? Or was it Crusade that you played?
Oh, my god, I love Maniac Mansion! I used to play it on the really old Nintendo system. You are talking about the game where that crazy scientist guy kidnaps that cheerleader chick?

To be OT, I have heard of Baldurs Gate, but have never played it.

Last edited by cassiopeia : 11-16-2002 at 12:06 AM.
cassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 12:08 AM   #15
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
Oh, my god, I love Maniac Mansion! I used to play it on the really old Nintendo system. You are talking about the game where that crazy scientist guy kidnaps that cheerleader chick?
Yep, that's the one. I've played it about 3 times, cos every time you choose different characters, you have to play it differently. I loved it too! Have you played the sequel? Day of the Tentacle?
Old 11-22-2002, 08:48 AM   #16
Nazgûl Queen
Elven Warrior

The two games that i really really want to get are the Baldurs gate ones and the Diablo ones, as I'v eplayed small amounts of each and watched players and it looks really fun.

The Nazgûl Queen she was, the Ringwraith, the enemy's most terrible servant; darkness went with her and she cried with the voices of death.

Can be found loitering at Fantasy Essentials or her livejournal...
Nazgûl Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 09:24 AM   #17
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Nazgûl Queen
The two games that i really really want to get are the Baldurs gate ones and the Diablo ones, as I'v eplayed small amounts of each and watched players and it looks really fun.
The Diablo games are pretty cool. Although it can get a bit monotonous navigating the outdoor areas in Diablo II.

Another RPG-style computer game that's worth checking out is The Summoner........it is HUGE with over 100 side-quests

Beatallica

Last edited by Coney : 11-22-2002 at 09:26 AM.
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 01:32 PM   #18
Elf.Freak
Orli's lil fan

well...i have now
~
I've gotta new avatar! looks kinda like me...anime style!
~
LOST: Orlando Bloom. If found, please send him straight to Elf.Freak
Elf.Freak is offline   Reply With Quote