Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-08-2002, 01:04 AM   #1
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

Treebeard The Language of the Ents

Does anyone know where I could find a place to learn the Language oif the Ents(EntSpeak, I believe it is called) I love the Ents, and I'd like to learn some of their laguage, no matter how long it takes to say it!
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 11:00 PM   #2
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Hi, Wallrocker: A good question, but I'm not sure that language was ever developed very much. Of course, the only works I've read that mention Ents are the LoTR and Silmarillion, so keep looking, but in Appendix F to LoTR, Tolkien says that no one but an Ent could learn it and also:
Quote:
The strange words and names that the Hobbits record as used by Treebeard and other Ents are thus Elvish, or fragments of Elf-speech strung together in Ent-fashion (footnote: Except where the Hobbits seem to have made some attempts to represent the shorter murmurs and calls made by the Ents; a-lalla-lalla-rumba-kamanda-lindor-burúme also is not Elvish, and is the only extant (probably very inaccurate) attempt to represent a fragment of actual Entish.
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 12:15 AM   #3
Philia
Enting

try www.engine54.com and type in keywords like "Ents" "tolkien" and "tolkien languages", it is bound to come up.
Nothing is as real as a dream. The world can change around you, but your dream will not. Responsibilities need not erase it. Duties need not obscure it. Because the dream is within you, no one can take it away. --Unknown

What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us. --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant. --Robert Louis Stevenson

Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools. --Unknown

Love your enemies. It really pisses them off! --Unknown

Age does not protect you from love. But love, to some extent, protects you from age. --Jeanne Moreau, French Actress

We are never so helplessly unhappy as when we lose love. --Sigmund Freud
Philia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 12:24 AM   #4
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

Thanks! Lady of Ithilien, I didn't even remember that section about the Ents lanuage from the books.
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 05:34 AM   #5
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

You cannot learn the language of the Ents. It was impossible for J. R. R. Tolkien to devise, let alone for any to speak. The renditions that appear in The Lord of the Rings are supposed to be inaccurate representations of half-remembered sounds. You can read about the language here though.

Even with Quenya -- the language of which we know most about -- one cannot speak fluently. We do not have enough vocabulary.

Last edited by Ñólendil : 11-09-2002 at 05:35 AM.
Ñólendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 09:11 PM   #6
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

You're welcome, WallRocker. It's too bad, really. Something about that language -- all the "hooms," "booms" and "burarums" -- is very satisfying at a deep level, and certainly very expressive. It would be great to somehow speak it. Also, Treebeard and Quickbeam were among my favorite characters.

Guess we will have to stake out our favorite tree or at least the most "hasty-looking" one we can find, sit down, and listen very, very hard (and hope passersby don't ask what we're doing).
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 07:34 AM   #7
Silje
Hobbit

I don't think that enish is very easy to learn. Wasn't is so that every word was as long as is had existed. If you should say your name, you'd had to say your whole lifestory.
But it would be kind of cool with an entish poem.
Silje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 02:42 PM   #8
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

You could only speak in entish if you had all day...they must have really loved words. I was wondering...did elves or ents invent entish? I remember Treebeard saying that the elves gave them the power of speech, but who invented it?

By the way, Lady of Ithilen, what a good idea. I think I'll do that today...only it's raining.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote