Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-01-2001, 01:19 AM   #1
Quickbeam
Hobbit

Gandalf other books

At very first I had only read the Hobbit. Then when I heard of the LOTR movie coming out I started LOTR. I've almost finished the two towers. Well after looking around in this forum, I realize that a lot of you know a lot of history behind everything. Thigs from different ages, places across the sea etc. So what books would you recommend to read that would give a lot of history concerning the things in LOTR? all of the others? or is a specific one? what one would be a good one to read first after LOTR? thanks.
Quickbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 01:28 AM   #2
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Only The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings are really Middle-Earth "canon"...

However, also regarded on the same level by almost everybody is The Silmarillion. It is Tolkien's foundation of LOTR, describing the shaping of Middle-Earth, et cetera. If you are extremely patient, and have a craving for "more" background regarding Tolkien's world, that's where you should go, because that's where everything is. And I mean everything. I'm not extraordinarily familiar with Sil myself, but everyone here who is can attest to this.

"The History of Middle Earth" in however-so-many volumes is where I'd presume you should head if you want a commentary on the development process behind the story, though I haven't really delved into it myself.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 01:43 AM   #3
Quickbeam
Hobbit

thanks

thanks for the reply. anyone else have any pearls of wisdom?
Old 11-01-2001, 10:51 AM   #4
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Re: thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by Quickbeam
thanks for the reply. anyone else have any pearls of wisdom?
I agree that your next book should be the Silmarillion. I don't want to discourage you, but as I tell everyone, be prepared, it is tough reading material. Then, I would read Unfinished Tales, and if you are really bold, and are thirsty for more, the Histories of Middle earth is the place to go. This is 12 volumes, and again, some tough reading, but worth every minute you give it.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 04:17 PM   #5
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Quickbeam, you have been given good advise above! I wish I could get around to read all of the HoME soon.
Another book sometimes quoted on difficult questions is The Letters. Opinions about that one?
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 08:11 PM   #6
Quickbeam
Hobbit

thanks

great! souns lioke good advice. If I don't get too slowed down by the Silm. I'll keep reading.
Old 11-01-2001, 10:25 PM   #7
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kirinki54
Quickbeam, you have been given good advise above! I wish I could get around to read all of the HoME soon.
Another book sometimes quoted on difficult questions is The Letters. Opinions about that one?
I really have only read the letters that have been quoted by other posters. I have seen the book though and have every intention of buying it as soon as I get all the volumes of the HoMe I want first.
Old 10-20-2002, 11:47 AM   #8
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

I suggest after Silmarillion that you get Unfinished Tales, and also for some great background on Middle Earth, get Atlas of Middle Earth by Karen Fonstad.

So, has anyone read the Black Company series by Glen Cook?
Old 10-20-2002, 08:29 PM   #9
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Hi Quickbeam! I would suggest the Sil next, too, but I would recommend Letters after that - it really gives you great insight into some of Tokien's thought processes during the writing of LoTR, and also him as a person. Also, check the "does the Sil get more entertaining..." and "ok am I the only one who" threads in the Sil forum for help with reading the Sil. It's well worth it!

I would next recommend UT (Unfinished Tales), as did SGH and Snowdog. IMHO, BoLT 1&2 (Book of Lost Tales 1 & 2) are a bit too far removed from the finished LoTR - Melian's name is Tinwellint, or something like that, and Beren is a half-elf at some point, too, I think - and all those strange cats! Anyway, there's better things to get to first, IMO.

I'm a big fan of Morgoth's Ring, book 10 in the HoME (History of Middle Earth) series. SGH and I had many great discussions about the Athrabeth section in that book, and we just started on the Laws and Customs of the Eldar section.

Well, that should keep you busy for awhile! But stick with the Sil first

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 08:37 PM   #10
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Actually HoME is a mix of different marvelous stuff. BoLT can be left alone-its a seperate mythology. The next few volumes serve as the background for the Sil, aside from prose this includes two long lays-the Tale of Luthien mentioned in LOTR, and the tragic lay of the children of Hurin-hard reading in my opinion. Then there's the literary development of LOTR in 4 volumes followed by some more Sil background and finally PoME which sort of collects leftovers. I'd read UT-some parts of it read a lot like HoME so if you can get through say "The History of Galadriel and Celeborn" and "The Quest for Erebor" you might like HoME.
Old 10-21-2002, 12:21 AM   #11
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

The Silmarillion has a really good chapter on the history of the War of the Ring. I think it is called the War of the Ring, someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Its the last chapter and has some good information on Isildur finding the ring. You could also read some encyclopaedias of Middle Earth, like the one by Robert Frost (I think that his name). But there are some bad books out there.
Old 10-21-2002, 11:40 AM   #12
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

The chapter you are refering to at the end of the Silmarillion is "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age"

The writer of the Guide to Middle-earth you are refering to is Robert Foster.

And yes, stay away from David Day.
Old 10-21-2002, 02:36 PM   #13
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Letters is amazing, just an absolute treasure trove of insight.

My favourite take on LOTR, the one I would most recommend, is Tom Shippey's Author of the Century... I find myself in agreement with a good deal of his analysis.

As far as "reference guides" and such go, I don't like them. The one that I do like is Journeys of Frodo, which is an excellent map book that traces the paths of the various characters as they progress through the story. The last time I read LOTR, I had that by me, and it was amazing... I had a better visual sense of where Tolkien's geographical and cartographical direction was going.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 05:17 PM   #14
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

That map book sounds like a great idea! The geography part of my brain is sadly impaired, and it sounds like it would really help me. And "Letters" is wonderful, isn't it!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 01:51 PM   #15
Linarryl
Elven Warrior

Read the Silmarillion. It's a bit confusing, but it tells you a lot about what happened WAY before the ring was made and so on.
Linarryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 01:58 PM   #16
Farath
Sapling

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowdog
I suggest after Silmarillion that you get Unfinished Tales, and also for some great background on Middle Earth, get Atlas of Middle Earth by Karen Fonstad.

So, has anyone read the Black Company series by Glen Cook?
Tried to, strating with the first book, but I just couldn't get into it :/ not sure why.

I LOVED The Silmarillion. LOVED it. Truly enjoyed Letters and read it as I was about half-way through The History series. I've just finished Vol. 9. Amazing insight into the world Tolkien created and into his mind as he was writing LoTR.

If anyone ever wants to discuss any of it, please email or pm me
Farath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 07:51 PM   #17
Celebrian
Enting

Is The Letters by JRR Tolkien or about him?

Tall ships and tall kings, three times three.
What brought they form the foundered land
Over the flowing sea?
Seven stars and seven stones and one white tree.
Celebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 07:59 PM   #18
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Celebrian
Is The Letters by JRR Tolkien or about him?
The Letters contains the letters written by JRR Tolkien throughout his life to various people, like his son and publisher. You can get more insite Tolkien from the letters than from any biography.
Old 10-25-2002, 01:55 PM   #19
TolkienGurl
Hobbit

Other works by Tolkien are:

Smith of Wootton Major
Farmer Giles of Ham
the above 2 you can find in a combined book because they are short stories

Roverandom

The Adventures of Tom Bombadil
Tree and Leaf
The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth Beorhthelm's Son
The above three can be found in a book called The Tolkien Reader

Unfinished Tales

Just some food for thought!
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 09:46 PM   #20
Goldberry1
Elven Warrior

I haven't read anything after LOTR yet, but I have other books about Middle Earth, like an illustrated guide to Tolkien. It's filled with maps, timelines, descriptions of places, specific people, and whole races. Tons of information!