Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-01-2002, 01:13 AM   #1
Claenoic
Queen of Prolonged, Unexplained Absences

Canker Sores and other random ailments to the mouth...

Doncha hate'em? This is the thread where we can moan about canker sores, toothaches, aching gums, wisdom teeth, braces... what ever (and for the older 'mooters, dentures *ducks as random sharp objects are thrown into her general direction)! Well, go right on ahead!

FREAK RAIN!!!!!!!! O.o

Queen of prolonged unexplained absences and long, loooong car rides.

Well, hullo everyone. As you can see, I don't hang out here muchly anymore. There's a good reason for this. Y'see, I've been hanging out at a different chatboard called Cardboardia. So far, I've been havin' a blast. Not that I don't love the TLA, but the magic of Entmoot is lost on me. So, as soon as TLA ends, so will my existance here, probably.

Who knows though? I might stay. Highly unlikely however. This is a good bye in advance, then. Unless you want to join me and my group of friends at Cardboardia.

Cheers!
Claenoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 01:33 AM   #2
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I hated braces. *Warning: Anti-braces rant coming up* Do you want to hear my story? Well, even if you don't, if you keep reading, you're going to get it. When I got my braces on in the sixth grade, they told me that I would have to wear them for 2 - 2 1/2 years. Ok, no problem. I had them on one day shy of 4 1/2 years. That's 4 1/2 years of not chewing gum and trying to stay away from foods that would break my braces. And of course, the one time that I did eat something I wasn't supposed to, something just has to break. Anyway, that's pretty much my rant. I'm so happy to have them off. I think this smiley is too. Just look at the pretty teeth. ----->

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 09:54 AM   #3
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I don't think "older" people do dentures anymore. That was the Lawrence Welk generation. Now, the dentist slowly makes you poor by replacing your bad molars with "crowns" ($600.00 apiece!) For me, the worst part of the dentist is the bill. OWWW.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 01:47 PM   #4
Ben
Retired Ent

I've never had a cavity or braces . And the dentist says I have room in my mouth for wisdom teeth. Hehe, I love my teeth -> .

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 05:11 PM   #5
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

I hated braces as well. I had to have a retainer before I could even get braces. There was no room for all of my teeth to come in (regular teeth). I got my braces on at the end of fourth grade - they said I only had to have them on for one year. I didnt get them off until the end of 7th grade! And that was only their "phase one." I only had braces on my top teeth. My teeth were VERY slow in coming in, but now all my adult teeth are finally in. Ben's adult teeth were all in when he was in the 3rd grade . My teeth still aren't perfectly straight and they want to do their phase two, but my mom won't let them. It hurts too much and doesn't allow you to do as many things.

I only have one cavity, and getting that wasn't my fault.

I'm 14 now, but since my teeth are so darn slow (my 12 year molars just came in now), the dentist predicts that I won't get my wisdom teeth for at least another 4 years, but they will probably fit because of my mouth being spaced out due to the braces.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 08:43 PM   #6
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

When my wisdom teeth started coming in, I took a steak knife and slashed open my gums. For the next week or two I had bits of dead flesh coming off in my mouth.
Old 07-02-2002, 12:44 AM   #7
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I had to get one widom tooth out last year and I think I'll have to get another out at the end of this year. The dentist gave me 2 needles and then tried to pull it out (he just got some plier like device and pulled!). Well I shrieked because it hurt so I had to get another needle. Anyway it eventually came out and was bleeding for the rest of the day.
Old 07-02-2002, 02:49 AM   #8
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I had braces for about two years, and I ate whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. I didn't get stains, and I only broke a bracket once, and it just broke, it wasn't because of food.

I hate my retainer though. I have a permanent one on my bottom teeth, and it tore up my tongue for awhile. I have canker sores from rough teeth...huh.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:10 PM   #9
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

braces.....eeewww........

The worst is the first 2 weeks of braces cause your mouth hurts sooooooo bad and the first couple of days, I couldn't even CHEW!!! ow And THEN, when I got my braces off 2 1/2 years later, I got this yucky retainer, and I never really wore it as often as I should, and then a year after getting it, trying to PRY it in my mouth....Yowz! But I've been free from braces & retainer for about 3 years now! YAY!

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 12:17 PM   #10
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Quote:
Originally posted by bmilder
I've never had a cavity or braces . And the dentist says I have room in my mouth for wisdom teeth. Hehe, I love my teeth -> .
I had braces for 6 years, I have a mouth full of fillings, I had two wisdom teeth out after they abcessed, and I grind my teeth. I hope you don't mind if I hate you for a moment or two...

Ah, that's better.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 03:04 PM   #11
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I never had any braces and my wisdom teeth never gave me problems. The only cavities I had were from a dentist that we think had been cheating my parents and saying I had cavities when I didn't. After we stopped going to him - I didn't have any more cavities. I'm just glad they were mostly in my baby teeth - now I only have one filled tooth.

My brother's and sister all had braces and retainers though. My sister even had to have a mouth expander - my parents used to call it her medeival torture chamber device. It was basically a metal bar that went on the roof of the mouth and then each night my parents would have to turn the key and it would spread her mouth apart. She used to have tears coming down her cheeks when they'd have to do that. She would have screamed if she didn't have her mouth wind open with my parent's hand in her mouth.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 07-03-2002 at 03:09 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 06:51 PM   #12
Rei
Elven Warrior

Location: Hades....it's a tough job but someone's gotta do it
For me the worst part of the dentist is the combination of the chair and the spit-sucking thing! I've never erally had any problems with my mouth, other than the fact that I don't know when to shut it, but I fear the chair and the sucky thing!
In Imladris it dwells;
There shall be counsels taken
Stronger than Morgul-spells.
There shall be shown a token
That doom is near at hand
For Isildur's Bane shall waken,
And the Halfling forth shall stand.
Old 07-03-2002, 07:23 PM   #13
Khadrane
Elf Lord

I can't wait to get braces... although I couldn't wait to get contacts either, and now I hate them..

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 10:41 PM   #14
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Khadrane
I can't wait to get braces...
Are you off your medication? If you're looking forward to getting braces, you must really hate your crooked teeth. They hurt like heck the first week and then every time they tighten 'em up, but I think the result is worth it. My advice: chew lots of bubblegum now while you can still enjoy it.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 08:52 PM   #15
Khadrane
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
Are you off your medication? If you're looking forward to getting braces, you must really hate your crooked teeth. They hurt like heck the first week and then every time they tighten 'em up, but I think the result is worth it. My advice: chew lots of bubblegum now while you can still enjoy it.
How did you know about my medication? I really do hate my crooked teeth. I should have gotten them on months ago, but I had to wait until I lost my teeth. (I'm going into 9th grade and I still haven't lost all my teeth!) I'm getting some pulled tomorrow.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 09:43 PM   #16
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I have nice boring straight teeth. Lucky enough to never have needed braces - although people don't believe me when I tell them. All my cavities occurred mainly in my baby teeth - all that sugar, I'm NOT surprised! And I used to have a wonker of a gap between my two top incisors... luckily I grew out of it. Now the only thing that's wrong with my mouth is this one bit of serrated molar that drives me mad! (only discovered it last week - thought it was a bit of food or something.) My tongue keeps going to that region, and now I have an ulcer on the end of my tongue!
Old 07-08-2002, 11:53 PM   #17
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Geez Jersey Devil, I thought holding a little kid with pink-eye down while you put the stinging eyedrops in every two hours was bad. Every night your parents had to look forward to a big scene while they made their daughter cry in pain! Poor parents! A mouth expander!! What is that?? Did she have TMJ?? What was going to happen, her mouth explode? I don't know, Believe it when your parents say "this hurts us more than it hurts you!!When my big girl was young, she'd get so upset and freaked out at the dentist, they finally had us start giving her valium before she went. It was so much fun to take her to the dentist, watch her freak out, and then pay them for this priviledge.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 09:16 AM   #18
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil

My brother's and sister all had braces and retainers though. My sister even had to have a mouth expander - my parents used to call it her medeival torture chamber device. It was basically a metal bar that went on the roof of the mouth and then each night my parents would have to turn the key and it would spread her mouth apart. She used to have tears coming down her cheeks when they'd have to do that. She would have screamed if she didn't have her mouth wind open with my parent's hand in her mouth.
My sister had that. 'Sure glad I didn't.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 03:42 PM   #19
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Jerseydevil:
It was basically a metal bar that went on the roof of the mouth and then each night my parents would have to turn the key and it would spread her mouth apart.
I had that.

It was fun until I lost the key. I then used a screwdriver. And lo! blood flowed forth.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 09:46 PM   #20
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
My friend's brother had a thing in his mouth that split his mouth open, like he had a cleft palate, sort of. It takes a few weeks to work, but once his mouth split, his teeth spread in like, five minutes.

The aforementioned friend once had her braces tightened so tightly that a gap between her two front teeth closed in three hours.