Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-18-2002, 03:55 PM   #1
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

One Ring Transport

when Sauron was brought to Númenor he soon controlled the minds and wills of many Númenoreans . Men began to curse the gift given to them by Eru, wishing rather the life of the Eldar. Ofcourse Sauron had the One ring with him which gave him an even more greater power of the minds of the Men. The "King" of Númenor was at this time Ar-Pharazôn the Golden. Under the will of Sauron he set forth to valinor and reached its shores. For this Númenor was destroyed but the Faithful had escaped. sauron's body was destoryed in the downfall of the Island. How do you think the ring was returned to Middle-Earth? Do we assume his spirit carried the ring to the dark place? I have read nothing on this and would love to hear the opinion of the Mooters.
Old 05-18-2002, 08:46 PM   #2
azalea
Long lost mooter

I think there is a Letter about this that says it was indeed carried off by his spirit.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 08:47 PM   #3
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Re: One Ring Transport

Quote:
Originally posted by Tar-Elendil
when Sauron was brought to Númenor he soon controlled the minds and wills of many Númenoreans . Men began to curse the gift given to them by Eru, wishing rather the life of the Eldar. Ofcourse Sauron had the One ring with him which gave him an even more greater power of the minds of the Men. The "King" of Númenor was at this time Ar-Pharazôn the Golden. Under the will of Sauron he set forth to valinor and reached its shores. For this Númenor was destroyed but the Faithful had escaped. sauron's body was destoryed in the downfall of the Island. How do you think the ring was returned to Middle-Earth? Do we assume his spirit carried the ring to the dark place? I have read nothing on this and would love to hear the opinion of the Mooters.
Sauron's body was destroyed in the downfall of Numenor. He was never able to achieve a fair form again, but he did take shape again in the form of a man. His skin was black and burning hot.. At that point, he returned to Mordor, and mustered his forces and attacked Gondor. In 3434 SA he was defeated by the armie of the Last Alliance, and in 3441 SA, in a final battle on the slopes of Orodruin Sauron was overthrown by Gil-galad and Elendil. It was then that Isildur cut off his finger and took the One Ring.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 09:18 PM   #4
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

Re: Re: One Ring Transport

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Sauron's body was destroyed in the downfall of Numenor. He was never able to achieve a fair form again, but he did take shape again in the form of a man. His skin was black and burning hot.. At that point, he returned to Mordor, and mustered his forces and attacked Gondor. In 3434 SA he was defeated by the armie of the Last Alliance, and in 3441 SA, in a final battle on the slopes of Orodruin Sauron was overthrown by Gil-galad and Elendil. It was then that Isildur cut off his finger and took the One Ring.
i know all that bout the last alliance and such..so his body was destroyed as i said, and his spirit fled back to middle-earth and took with it the ring, a physical object. wasn't sure if his "spirit" could bring the ring across the sea to Middle-Earth.
Old 05-18-2002, 09:36 PM   #5
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: One Ring Transport

Quote:
Originally posted by Tar-Elendil

i know all that bout the last alliance and such..so his body was destroyed as i said, and his spirit fled back to middle-earth and took with it the ring, a physical object. wasn't sure if his "spirit" could bring the ring across the sea to Middle-Earth.
There is nothing specific that states when he took the new shape. I suppose he could have done so before fleeing back to Middle-earth, but he did take shape again. I don't see how he could have carried a physical item without a physical form.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 09:42 PM   #6
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

thus the point of the thread..what are some of you peoples' ideas???
Old 05-18-2002, 11:13 PM   #7
Tar-Elenion
Enting

JRRT wrote "Though reduced to 'a spirit of hatred borne on a dark wind', I do not think one need boggle at this spirit carrying off the One Ring, upon which his power of dominating minds now largely depended."
Letter 211

Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.
Tar-Elenion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 05:43 PM   #8
Finrod the Faithful
Sapling

Wow. I was always under the impression that he left the One in Barad-dur when he went to Numenor. The only quote I could find at short notice was from the Akallabeth.

Quote:
...yet his spirit arose out of the deep and passed as a shadow and a black wind over the sea, and came back to Middle-earth and to Mordor that was his home. There he took up again his great Ring in Barad-dur, and dwelt there dark and silent, until he wrought himself a new guise...
I haven't got all of HOME, though. (To tell you the truth, I prefer to let myself "believe" the Silm and Letters more than HOME, but that's just me)
Finrod the Faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 12:47 AM   #9
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Perhaps that is the wisest thing to do. The History of Middle-earth can drive you mad.