Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-09-2006, 01:53 AM   #1
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Rebuilding the World Trade Center!

I'm opening this thread for discussion of the plans to rebuild the World Trade Center.

I personally am very excited about this. It's our way of saying that the terrorists will not have the last word, and that terrorism will not prevail. I think that that message is far more wholesome than the message that would be sent by building a memorial there. A memorial would, of course, have very positive aspects. Remembering the dead is very important. But in my view, building that would also be a message of defeat rather than victory, and that's why I prefer the construction that is going on.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5325794.stm

I'm glad they have such an emphasis on safety as well:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/5282810.stm
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 05:02 AM   #2
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

no kidding. The two towers were sadly, safety-wise rather like the Titanic.

in terms of height ...tallest in america etc .... does that large needle count?

I like the Richard Roger's 4 diamonds idea!

btw - what was that thing ...the miracle of staircase B? ..i missed that...

best, BB

p.s. you are right Lief life and the city goes on unbowed

**edit** Sir Richard Roger's - wonder's if anyone has told hector? i'll pop on over...

Last edited by Butterbeer : 09-09-2006 at 05:03 AM.
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:43 AM   #3
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Fact: It took ONE year to build the empire state building.

Fact: Five years after their destruction, there is still a hole where the towers stood. They've even had to remove the 'corner stone' Pataki put there in 2004 because they still can't agree what to do. The politics, political correctness and beurocracy just shows how paralized our country as a whole is.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:18 PM   #4
Huorn
Elven Warrior

Those are going to be very beautiful buildings! That Freedom Tower is going to be gorgeous. I like the biulding with the four lit diamonds too.

Just call me Oakie
Huorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 02:53 PM   #5
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I agree with you Lief, I think it's awesome they're going to rebuild the World Trade Center! I think the building should include a memorial somewhere, because like you said, it is important to remember the dead.

Will it still be called the World Trade Center? I think that would be the best ever, because it would send the message that terrorism will not have any lasting effects on people.

Personally I don't like Freedom Tower, because it reminds me of the whole Freedome fries/Freedom toast thing.

But hey, it's your building.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 05:32 PM   #6
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Will it still be called the World Trade Center? I think that would be the best ever, because it would send the message that terrorism will not have any lasting effects on people.
I agree. I don't know if it will be called that or not, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Personally I don't like Freedom Tower, because it reminds me of the whole Freedome fries/Freedom toast thing.

But hey, it's your building.
Yeah. I very much like "Freedom Tower," because for me, the message sent through the word "freedom" isn't "toast and fries" . Lol!

That whole Freedom fries/Freedom toast thing was just a temporary absurdity to me. I'm glad I won't be thinking of that when I hear the name "Freedom Tower."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huorn
Those are going to be very beautiful buildings! That Freedom Tower is going to be gorgeous. I like the biulding with the four lit diamonds too.
I completely, emphatically agree, Huorn. The plans reveal a lovely, beautiful and elegant design. I love their appearance. I want to visit them, when the construction is finished.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 09-09-2006 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:37 PM   #7
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

...I'm tired of hearing "it's going to be"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
Fact: It took ONE year to build the empire state building.

They've promised over and over; held competitions galore; and still nada!

Fact: Five years after their destruction, there is still a hole where the towers stood. They've even had to remove the 'corner stone' Pataki put there in 2004 because they still can't agree what to do. The politics, political correctness and beurocracy just shows how paralized our country as a whole is.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:37 PM   #8
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

It'll happen.

Old 09-10-2006, 01:02 AM   #9
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

With the architectural plans they've made and everything Spock, I thought this was, if you'll forgive the pun, a concrete plan.

I'm sure it will get rebuilt. Who wouldn't want them rebuilt?

Though you raised a good point, why wait five years to start construction?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:26 PM   #10
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

I'd rather see a park.

I grew up in NYC when I was a kid, and that area could use some more greenery.

As far as statements go, prosperity and happiness are better statements than buildings. I'd think the dollars could probably be better spent elsewhere.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:49 PM   #11
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Well the Empire State Building wasn't built on the site of a horrific mass murder for one thing. And it's worth taking your time to make sure you get it right.

Those designs look groovy. A park would be good too.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:44 PM   #12
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

............Freedom Park?

hm...i think that putting it back up is kinda saying..."yeah, bring it"...y'know, just asking for another hit...mayhaps they're waiting until this "war" on terror is over...

just a thought.
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 01:35 AM   #13
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
I'd rather see a park.

I grew up in NYC when I was a kid, and that area could use some more greenery.

As far as statements go, prosperity and happiness are better statements than buildings. I'd think the dollars could probably be better spent elsewhere.
I disagree. Buildings have a good deal of economic value, but really the symbolic value of this is extremely significant. General prosperity and happiness don't carry the same strong symbolic message that Freedom Tower does.

Establishing this tower says, "you cannot defeat us. Freedom will prevail over terrorism." That symbolic message is very significant and worthy, in my view. A park just wouldn't capture it .
Quote:
Originally Posted by durinsbane2244
hm...i think that putting it back up is kinda saying..."yeah, bring it"...y'know, just asking for another hit...
I know it makes an appealing target, but it also is going to be one of the best protected targets there is. I posted a link earlier to the defensive measures they have, and they look good to my untrained eye.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:04 AM   #14
truthiscool
Enting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
I disagree. Buildings have a good deal of economic value, but really the symbolic value of this is extremely significant. General prosperity and happiness don't carry the same strong symbolic message that Freedom Tower does.

Establishing this tower says, "you cannot defeat us. Freedom will prevail over terrorism." That symbolic message is very significant and worthy, in my view. A park just wouldn't capture it .

I know it makes an appealing target, but it also is going to be one of the best protected targets there is. I posted a link earlier to the defensive measures they have, and they look good to my untrained eye.
I agree that it is a sign that says we will prevail.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:27 PM   #15
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

Quote:
and i'm suuuuuure those defences are invincible...

And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 01:00 PM   #16
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:

I disagree.

I think symbolically it puts materialism over human life, exactly what our enemies are accusing us of. If you wanted a symbolic message, put up a monument like the Statue of Liberty.

The idea that they could ever defeat us is ubsurd. Don't give the enemy credit they do not deserve. Let's remember, for all it's symbolic impact, 9/11 only killed a few thousand people, which pales in comparision to the amount of our enemies we have killed.

We should do what is best for NYC. What is best for that particular location in NYC. And, even economically, another huge skyscraper is not best.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:24 PM   #17
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
I disagree.......................................... ..........
We should do what is best for NYC. What is best for that particular location in NYC. And, even economically, another huge skyscraper is not best.
You have some points, however, what's best for NY? I don't think so.

Your city permitted five of the hijackers to leave from Logan.

Last edited by Spock : 09-15-2006 at 01:29 PM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 02:01 PM   #18
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
And, even economically, another huge skyscraper is not best.
Really? I was under the impression they could really do with the office space a skyscraper would provide.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:50 AM   #19
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

NYC has enough office space as it is. A modest plan for the WTC would do honor without creating a target.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:16 AM   #20
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
I disagree.

I think symbolically it puts materialism over human life, exactly what our enemies are accusing us of. If you wanted a symbolic message, put up a monument like the Statue of Liberty.

The idea that they could ever defeat us is ubsurd. Don't give the enemy credit they do not deserve. Let's remember, for all it's symbolic impact, 9/11 only killed a few thousand people, which pales in comparision to the amount of our enemies we have killed.

I've changed my mind and I agree with you.