Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-11-2000, 12:44 AM   #1
thrawn96

Hot movies this summer

There are a lot of movies with lots of hype behind them starting to hit theatres. Which one are you most looking foward to? Some hyped movies are M:I2, Battlefeild Earth (which got good reviews by lucas, i think), and X-Men (Ray Park plays one of the villians).
I'll most like see all or most of those, but im not really hyped about them. BE looks cool, M:I2 is one of those movies where you dont really understand the plot, but there are a lot of cool scenes, and X-Men will probably good cuz of Ray Park.
What does everyone else think?
Old 05-11-2000, 01:03 AM   #2
IronParrot

Re: Hot movies this summer

Battlefield Earth and X-Men I am NOT going to see unless I get absolutely spectacular word-of-mouth. Mission: Impossible 2 I'll probably see.

The next film I'm anticipating is The Patriot. It stars Mel Gibson and has to do with the American Revolution... kind of a father-and-son kind of film. Dinosaur I'll see because I'm such a nut on computer graphics, but if the dialogue in the movie is as bad as it is in the trailer, I might not see this film more than once. The Rocky and Bullwinkle live-action film I'll see, if I get good word-of-mouth and if it stays true to the series. Remakes seem to be the most consistently bad genre of film, The Fugitive aside, but I've heard this one will be good.

But really, for the next few weeks I'll be watching Gladiator a few more times...
Old 05-11-2000, 07:45 PM   #3
bmilder

I want to see MI:2 and X-men. They both sound cool, and X-men has a lot of good actors in it. My family will see Dinosaur probably because my parents were in Hawaii while they were filming it two years ago and they want to see the backgrounds
Old 05-11-2000, 09:28 PM   #4
thrawn96

Hey ben, have you ever posted on this board how your parents got to go to Hawaii?
Old 05-11-2000, 09:30 PM   #5
anduin

Yeah Ben...tell us.
Old 05-12-2000, 12:02 AM   #6
bmilder

Carefully
But seriously, I'm sure I've mentioned it elsewhere, but my mom appeared on Jeopardy, the tv game show, in March '98. She auditioned for it and got on the show. We all flew to California where it was taped. On her first game she scored a come-from-behind victory and ended up with $10,600 and the right to appear again. She ended in the second game in second place, which is still pretty good, and won a trip to Hawaii. Unfortunately the trip was for two, so I was not able to come along .

You can probably still catch the episodes on occasion in reruns on the Game Show Network
Old 05-12-2000, 02:22 AM   #7
anduin

Ah yes, I remember now, but I don't think you mentioned the trip before.
Old 05-12-2000, 03:34 AM   #8
IronParrot

Wow, that's SO cool! I never heard that before...

I've tried to get on junior-level/teen Jeopardy a few times, but they do the junior level by recruitment from U.S. schools only, and totally disregard us Canucks.
Old 05-12-2000, 12:18 PM   #9
anduin

That's because the government won't get any taxes out of you,
Old 05-13-2000, 02:40 AM   #10
Niffiwan

hmph....

Am I ze only one who wantz to zee "Dinosaur" zimply becauze he zinkz it will be a really good movie?
I'm notizing zat people here tend to find zome ozer excuze for watching it, like it having good computer graphicz.
I wouldn't go to a movie wiz good computer graphicz if I had not zought zat it waz going to be a good movie, and I know a LOT of ozer people who wouldn't eizer.
Zo are "me being a computer-graphics freak" and "my parents want to see the backgrounds" ze ONLY reazonz you guyz are going to zee it?
Are you afraid to zay zo becauze it'z made by Disney, or zomezing, and zat'z only "for little kids"?
Old 05-13-2000, 02:44 AM   #11
IronParrot

Re: hmph....

No, really. I'm only seeing it for the computer animation. I am an absolute NUT on CG.

Not because it's too childish for me or anything... some films made for the younger demographic are absolutely excellent while some are trash. I think this one will be like Titanic - a visual spectacle, and all in all a pretty decent movie when it comes down to it simply because of artistic quality, but not much - or rather, nothing - in the way of writing.
Old 05-13-2000, 12:51 PM   #12
thrawn96

Re: hmph....

Well, I might see that movie, but Tom Greens movie comes out that same day, so I'll probably choose to see that.
Old 05-18-2000, 01:25 AM   #13
bmilder

All the reviewers panned "Battlefield Earth." The New York Times said "Battlefield Earth is quite possibly the worst movie of the century." So I don't advise seeing it (I'm certainly not going to )
Old 05-30-2000, 09:15 PM   #14
etherealunicorn

Probably I will see Battlefield Earth once it makes it to video, simply in the hope that it will be bad enough that it is fun to watch for the purpose of making fun of it, if you follow what I mean(after all, some bad movies are mighty funny with a few drinks inside you), but I thought that it was so tedious as a book that I don't expect much actual quality from the movie.