Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Nobel Peace Prize to President Obama

I saw in the headlines this morning that President Obama was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. What do you guys think about this? I'm a little puzzled because:

1. He has pretty much continued most of President Bush's actions in regard to Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. I mean, there's some tweaking - but we're still in Iraq (which really seems to be settling down quite a bit - continuing this trend for some time), and we're even upping things in Afghanistan as that area heats up. Now... I just cannot see President Bush receiving a Nobel Peace Prize. So why does President Obama get one for doing essentially the same thing?

2. The President of the United States has a lot of power. President Obama is still inside the first year of his first term. He could potentially be President of the US for another 7 years and 3 months. It seems odd to me to give him this award at this point - rather than toward the end of his run as President. At that point, it would have a better chance of addressing what he actually DID while in office. Conceivably, his Presidency might prove to be very aggressive by the time another 7+ years has passed.

Opinions? Other viewpoints?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote