Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-26-2015, 08:01 PM   #1
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Bookstore Finds a Rare Map of ‘Middle Earth’ Annotated by Tolkien Inside Copy of ‘Lor

Link here with picture.
Quote:
Blackwell’s Rare Books recently very rare find – a map of Middle Earth with annotations made in the hand of author J.R.R. Tolkien. The Oxford bookshop found the map inside a copy of of Lord of the Rings that had once belonged to illustrator Pauline Baynes, who worked with Tolkien and even went on to publish her own Map of Middle Earth in 1970. Blackwell’s has since put the map on display and is currently selling it for £60,000. They are also planning on featuring the map in their next catalogue.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:47 PM   #2
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

Lucky ducks
What I wouldn't give

Susie
“Faërie contains many things besides elves and fays, and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants, or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted.” - JRRT. "On Faerie-Stories"
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:27 AM   #3
ringbearer
Elf Lord

would not give what they are asking for it!!

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:19 AM   #4
Galin
Elven Warrior

I have the map already...

... well, without the writing on it
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:32 PM   #5
Alcuin
Salt Miner

There are 3-digit numbers among the annotations. Rivendell is marked “236”. Lothlórien is marked “361”, and there may be another, fainter “364” below that. Dol Guldur is marked “370” or “390”.

I used GIMP (similar to Photoshop, but free) to induce false color into the map. I don’t believe I can paste it into this thread (wishing one of the admins would change that…), but here is a link. False colorization can allow you to make out more detail.

Tolkien added more trees to the west of Lórien, and marked something I cannot make out just to the east of the confluence of Anduin and Silverlode. Next to the annotation “Lothlórien” is another, possible “R Silverlode”.

“Dorwinion” is clearly marked on the west coast of the Sea of Rhûn, but something else that had been there was scratched out.

I sure would like to see more of his annotations, and I’d like to know what the numbers are for.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:32 PM   #6
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
There are 3-digit numbers among the annotations. Rivendell is marked “236”. Lothlórien is marked “361”, and there may be another, fainter “364” below that. Dol Guldur is marked “370” or “390”.

I used GIMP (similar to Photoshop, but free) to induce false color into the map. I don’t believe I can paste it into this thread (wishing one of the admins would change that…), but here is a link. False colorization can allow you to make out more detail.

Tolkien added more trees to the west of Lórien, and marked something I cannot make out just to the east of the confluence of Anduin and Silverlode. Next to the annotation “Lothlórien” is another, possible “R Silverlode”.

“Dorwinion” is clearly marked on the west coast of the Sea of Rhûn, but something else that had been there was scratched out.

I sure would like to see more of his annotations, and I’d like to know what the numbers are for.
Thanks for the link. I am sure you will post it if anybody does figure out those cryptic numbers

Susie
“Faërie contains many things besides elves and fays, and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants, or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted.” - JRRT. "On Faerie-Stories"
Old 11-12-2015, 09:08 AM   #7
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

This is cool! Thanks Alcuin!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:14 AM   #8
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Cool find indeed.

This is the thing I like so much about Tolkien, with all the books and maps and early drafts available, you really get a sense of his process of world-building and the way he constructed his stories in a way you never get from any other author.

Christopher Tolkien may be just getting rich of it, but that sort of thing is a treasure throve for fans.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:20 PM   #9
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Cool find indeed.

This is the thing I like so much about Tolkien, with all the books and maps and early drafts available, you really get a sense of his process of world-building and the way he constructed his stories in a way you never get from any other author.

Christopher Tolkien may be just getting rich of it, but that sort of thing is a treasure throve for fans.
I'd be prepared to have Christopher Tolkien's baby if he would just let Peter Jackson do The Silmarillion

Susie
Old 11-14-2015, 05:32 AM   #10
Mari
Elf Lady

Erm... how does your boyfriend feel about that?

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 12:45 PM   #11
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

He laughed about it. He said at least the little, er,illegitimate child would inherit big time when ol' Chris "shakes off this mortal coil". He talks like that

Susie