Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-11-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Tourist information thread

I didn't find anything similar, so feel free to use this thread if you're planning a trip and would like some info from mooters who may live in that area.

So we're sending the parents on a nice weekend trip to London for their 30th anniversary. The thing is, they've never been there and neither have I (boohoo!). And so naturally there are some silly questions that keep bothering them and I want to put them at ease. I thought since we do have some British mooters here, and other world travellers, to pool your knowledge to reassure these worried tourists of mine.

The first thing is related to food. English food happens to have a rather negative reputation and they're a wee bit worry. Now, what can they expect, restaurant wise, if they don't want to go too fancy? They'll be staying in the Queensway area but will mostly be trotting through the city center from museum to museum, if it helps to pin down.

The secong thing is concerning euros. We're pretty sure not too many places take them. But there are enough places where you can exchange them?

Anything else they should keep in mind?
Old 03-12-2008, 01:12 AM   #2
BeardofPants
the Shrike

London, it's one of the biggest cities in the world. What that means is lots of money change areas, and lots of variety in cuisine. There's always pub food if you want to eat cheap, and it's not all greasy either. You can get things like a ploughman's platter, or salads, etc. Your parents will be fine.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:56 AM   #3
Earniel

Thanks! Shows what a global community this is, a Kiwi comes to answer my question about London!
Old 03-12-2008, 12:58 PM   #4
BeardofPants
the Shrike

LOL.

They should have loads of fun - lots to see & do. I recommend going to the Tower of London as well, if they're gonna do the history route.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:10 PM   #5
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Great idea, Earniel!

From what I remember of London, the pubs are fun to eat at, and if you want to go slightly nicer, go to the upstairs eating area in the pubs (more of a sit down at a table type of thing). That's how it worked when I was there, but that was, what, over 20 years ago ... I wonder if it's still the same?

The public transportation system is/(or was) great, too - very easy to get around. I'm sure they'll have a great time - I'm jealous!

OK, anyone been to Peru? My husband and older son are leaving for Peru on Saturday for 10 days, while I'm taking the two younger kids for a visit "back home" to California. However, they're going with my husband's dad, and my husband's brother and their two older boys, and my husband and his brother and their dad lived in Ecuador for years, so it won't be totally "foreign". Anyone been there? tips?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:37 PM   #6
Mari
Elf Lady

Not really a tip, but a friend of mine wanted to go there and she was asked to bring used schoolbooks and the sorts if she had them. She was supposed to go to mountainous villages that don't have much access to those things. However she was supposed to go on a humanitarian tour (yes those exist apparently) so it's perhaps not very applicable to your husband and son.

By the way, should you ever come to the Netherlands, I can give you a tour of Leiden, show you around The Hague (though I'm not that acquainted with the area there) and generally point you to the nice spots of my little country. The public transport is very good, you can go everywhere with it and bicycle tours of the country are getting popular too. So feel free to contact me about it! Did that sound like I was advertising?

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:15 PM   #7
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Anyone planning a trip to NYC

should probably not plan to go Monday.

http://www.saintpatricksdayparade.co...ewyorkcity.htm

I'm excited.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:32 PM   #8
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Not really a tip, but a friend of mine wanted to go there and she was asked to bring used schoolbooks and the sorts if she had them. She was supposed to go to mountainous villages that don't have much access to those things. However she was supposed to go on a humanitarian tour (yes those exist apparently) so it's perhaps not very applicable to your husband and son.
It's a humanitarian trip for them, too, along with seeing some of Peru. They have a lot of connections with S. America. Hmm, interesting about the used schoolbooks - I'll ask about that - thanks!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 03-12-2008, 07:38 PM   #9
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an View Post
Great idea, Earniel!

From what I remember of London, the pubs are fun to eat at, and if you want to go slightly nicer, go to the upstairs eating area in the pubs (more of a sit down at a table type of thing). That's how it worked when I was there, but that was, what, over 20 years ago ... I wonder if it's still the same?

The public transportation system is/(or was) great, too - very easy to get around. I'm sure they'll have a great time - I'm jealous!
Yeah, it's good, but as I recall, it's ridiculously expensive, too, isn't it?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:40 PM   #10
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants View Post
They should have loads of fun - lots to see & do. I recommend going to the Tower of London as well, if they're gonna do the history route.
Oh, they won't get bored, that's for sure. They've got more prospective things to see lined up that can possibly fit in three days. I was more concerned whether they'll ever be able to stop for a moment, sit down and take a bite, but I hear dad's got it already covered: "look, the British museum's got its own restaurant." My sis and I have made a bet as to which museum dad will have to be dragged out by closing: the British Museum or the Natural History museum.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:48 PM   #11
Gwaimir Windgem

I dunno, museum restaurants can be pretty pricey...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-12-2008, 07:56 PM   #12
Earniel

Yes, but then they wouldn't have to leave for something as trivial as eating.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:05 PM   #13
Nautipus
Kraken King

lol

True they are pricey, though. I had to pass on lunch at the NYC Natural History Museum when i went.

"You ever try to flick a fly?
"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"A crab? I dont see any crab."
"How?! It's right there!!"
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

-Excerpts from A Tale of Two Morons
Nautipus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:38 AM   #14
Mari
Elf Lady

Just thought I'd share this with you, but keep in mind this is merely my opinion and I've only been to the southern, more touristic places.
Turkey is a country with vivid colours, rich smells (of flowers, nature or food, wherever you go!) and a friendly population. The scenery is different in every area, though within that area it's more or less the same. A lot of differentiation and beautiful sceneries that can be used as a background on your desktop anyhow
Turkey also has many many ruins and ongoing excavations of old cities. There are Greece, Roman, Byzantine, Persian and other influences to be found. The current architecture isn't that impressive, mostly flat-like buildings with tiled roofs, but the older houses that can be found in older or more rural parts are nice to see. Some houses are really build in a haphazard way. Reminds me a bit of Tuscany.
The main food is... not very impressive, or distinctive. What is distinctive, is the love of sweetness. Deserts are often pure sugar and though the main dish wasn't really something I'd never seen before, the side-dishes were quite something. A lot of variations on the same foods. I've never seen so many different uses of olives...
We went with an organized group/bus tour (mostly for 65+ people) and of course a guide. Personally I prefer traveling by public transport and deciding on the sights myself, but I wouldn't recommend traveling through Turkey on your own and relying on public transport. Going with a guide will give you more understanding of a culture, the people and the do's and don'ts. Plus they can mediate if something goes wrong... because the English or German of Turkish people isn't very impressive and in general you're better off being able to speak German then English.
Though the people are very kind, they will also try to get your money at every opportunity. If you pay with Euros, be very careful to check the amount they charge you against the Lira. Sometimes they try to make you pay the same amount in Euros as it is in Lira's (1 Euro = 2 Lira) and people who seem to be doing an act of kindness for you (showing you around, translating or even giving you an orange they picked of a tree) may try and get you to pay for their "services" afterward.

To summarize: In my opinion Turkey is definitely a country you'll want to visit if you are into old civilizations, nature, culture or a beachvacation, but I wouldn't recommend going without a guide or someone else. In the case of blond women: ALWAYS GO OUT IN PAIRS!!! >_<

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:37 PM   #15
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Hey Eärniel, have you been to London yet? If not, I want to put in my two cents about British food. British food is delicious. The bad reputation of British food, as far as I can tell, seems to come from a tendency to overcook vegetables. However, in any quality pub or restaurant you won't find that.

But Brits (and especially Londonders), like everyone else, know how to divest tourists of their money with the minimum of effort possible.

So, eat at pubs in London, but do not under any circumstances eat within a 15-block radius of any major tourist attractions such as the London Eye, Buckingham Palace, the Parliament Buildings, London Bridge and the Tower of London. All those features are reasonably close to each other, so you won't starve. Also, London is the most expensive city in England by far, so consider bringing a sack lunch on your day trips.

Then, when you're in the countryside, you'll have plenty of money to eat in pubs for every meal, because a pub in the English countryside has some of the best food you will find anywhere in the world.

What cities and towns will/did you visit?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:24 AM   #16
Earniel

No, I haven't been to London yet. *mope* But one day, definitely. My parents enjoyed it very much, especially with the reassurances I got here.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:32 PM   #17
Gwaimir Windgem

Looks like my family and I are going to be in British Columbia next summer, a couple of days in the country and then about a week in Victoria. Any suggestions?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 11-30-2008, 03:24 AM   #18
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Hey, I'm actually from BC, and I've actually been to Victoria!! There's a lot to do in Victoria, so it depends what you like. Museums? Restaurants? Historical sites? Outdoor stuff?

You should definitely go to the Parliment buildings and take a tour. In true British Columbian style, they were built waaay over budget but came out gorgeous. (See also: Richmond Olympic Speed-skating oval.) Seriously though, you really should check out the Parliment buildings, even if you only spend an hour there. They are incredibly gorgeous.

If you like art and/or art history, check our Emily Carr's house. Some days you can have a tour.

If you like museums, there is a neat natural history museum and a wax museum.

The harbour is a cool scene, with great buskers and beautiful scenery. You can go whale-watching if you're into that.

The Empress Hotel is worth a visit, and you can have a traditional English high tea there. One thing that is said about Victoria is they're more British than the British.

There's also an amazing bug museum. You can actually hold a number of cool insects, spiders and scorpions. Or you can just look. I loved it. Don't go if bugs give you the heebie jeebies.

There are also a lot of really fantastic restaurants.

Then, there are beautiful parks in and around the city. This area of BC is near (and in) a rare ecosystem where you can see BC's only native oak tree, the Garry oak. They grow in lovely, and endangered, grasslands. Places like Beacon Hill Park have pleasant walking trails that should be fine for anyone who can walk about a mile and has no problem with stairs. (Not sure who you're travelling with.)

There is more stuff I'm sure, but I bet I've given you some stuff to google.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:02 PM   #19
Rían

You can spot glimpses of Middle Earth in the Sunken Garden area of the Butchart Gardens...

And there's a fun butterfly "garden" right nearby!

Last edited by Rían : 11-30-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:39 PM   #20
Gwaimir Windgem

Thanks bunches; I'll check this stuff out!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle