Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-30-2000, 01:28 AM   #1
bmilder

Microsoft break-up?

Do you think that Microsoft should be broken into two separate companies, as the government wants? I don't. Sure, Bill Gates has a monopoly, but who cares? It's already annoying enough to find out that something isn't compatible on a Mac, but if there were many different operating systems things would be very difficult. So it would be harmful to consumers if the company were broken up. Plus, at the rate things are moving, the suit is already out of date. AOL owns everything that Microsoft doesn't .
Old 04-30-2000, 03:47 AM   #2
juntel

Re: Microsoft break-up?

Those companies who complained about MS's monopoly would themselves like to have that monopoly.
Hypocrits.
Old 04-30-2000, 12:55 PM   #3
thrawn96

The last thing I want is for Microsoft to break up. That would cause an unbelievable amount of trouble for all windows users. Anyway, I think that so many people use and like (kinda) windows, the the new OS that would be created by the "new" company wouldnt be as popular. I agree with ben...Its already annoying enough when it comes to Macs an PCs. A third company would piss me off. Plus, chances are I would just stay with windows.
Old 04-30-2000, 03:53 PM   #4
HOBBIT

noooo Microsoft better not break up! like bmilder said, now AOL sorta owns everything else that Microsoft doesn't! they want the monopoly.

--CT/HOBBIT
Old 04-30-2000, 05:27 PM   #5
IronParrot

Microsoft should NOT break up.

Those government types don't understand the industry. It was like this with oil. It was like this with telephones. The government itself is the actual cause of these so-called monopolies (which aren't really monopolies - the only true monopoly in the USA is Waste Management Incorporated). Their focus on standardizing everything is what prevents competition in the first place! Microsoft isn't even anything close to a monopoly. Plus, Microsoft has the judges - who are supposed to play the role of mediator in a fair trial - weighted against them. It's an unfair trial.

Plus, the government is missing the bigger picture. They think they're doing this for the benefit of the industry, just because a few companies are complaining about how their products aren't the market leaders and therefore it must be Microsoft's fault because they're big bullies and everyone knows it, right? Well, think about the consumers (because that's something the government isn't doing at all). The average end-user is used to a standard, a brand name to rely on. The consumers have made a choice - leave it at that! The government is missing the point of a free market entirely. And they call themselves capitalists. Shame on them.

Furthermore, computers and information are a horizontal industry. Real monopolies only happen in vertical industries. Microsoft isn't even a monopoly - they're being picked on because they're big, and their products are wiping out those of their competitors because of consumer choice. Period.

The U.S. government just doesn't get it. They don't know how the industry works.
Old 06-07-2000, 07:39 PM   #6
bmilder

Just minutes ago, a federal judge ordered that Microsoft be split into two companies. I think they can appeal, though.
Old 06-07-2000, 08:20 PM   #7
K haylan

Ah, I love it when governments trot out
the M (monopoly) word and expect us all
to give the required shudder at the
capitalistic horror of it all.

Meanwhile they think that we do not see that
the oil companies operate a virtual cartel.

They think that we do not notice our utility
systems are more often than not, monopolies.

And although we can elect the politician and
political parties of our choice, the very
bureaucracies and infrastructures that support
them are often union-protected jobs-for-life,
with the right to strike and deny services
that cannot be obtained from any other 'vendor'.

I hope Microsoft does appeal. And I hope they
win.

K'haylan
Old 06-07-2000, 08:29 PM   #8
The One Ring

[DarthNut]What he said[/DarthNut]
Old 06-11-2000, 11:05 AM   #9
Puc conDoin

For me Microsoft may go bankrupt!

Microsoft is one big error in your computer system! I'm only using it because it's the only OS where the most programs are wrote for.

I hope that Linux is going to take over the leading position in OS's.

Do you know why the errors in Windows are inconceivable?

Because it's the only thing Microsoft could'nt copy!

Hirosjima '45

Tsjernobyl '86

Windows '95