Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 10:28 PM   #1
Mouth of the Dark Lord
Hobbit

Nazgul The Quest For Answers

Hey,

I'm new to Entmoot, so I'm not sure if such a thing exists here yet, as I didn't bother looking. I decide I wanted a thread to answer all those questions that are unanswered, and I myself have one. I think myself to be a LoTR Fanatic in general, but I know there are those that Live and Breath LoTR, I want them here to answer peoples' questions...
As I said I'll ask the first. When the ring was destroyed what went with it, I at first understood that all evil was drained from Middle-Earth, but now that I've rethought it... It seems less sensible, compared to my new view that only the evil united under Sauron's power was taken, as he was the puppeteer and the puppets can't go on without their master... This just made more sense to me, but am I right?
Old 01-14-2006, 12:23 AM   #2
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

well the puppeteer's marrionette strings got cut when the ring was destroyed, so the er...puppet collapsed
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:13 AM   #3
Mouth of the Dark Lord
Hobbit

That doesn't answer my question.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:56 PM   #4
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

well pehaps not but it went well with your analogy

not all evil was destroyed but Barad-Dur and the evil of Sauron was pretty much obliterated, but evil is almost as much an intangible as love, and doesn't it say somehwere in Silmarillion that Morgoth still effects people with his spirit. so basically the destruction of the ring signaled the end for Mordor but not for all evil period.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:30 PM   #5
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

yep...Morgoth put much of his power into Arda...therefore all physical things from Arda are affected by it...and although the form of Sauron, he remained, simply b/c he is a Maia...although a very weakened one now...and he could never build himself a new form b/c he lost his power when the ring was destroyed
Old 01-15-2006, 10:49 AM   #6
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouth of the Dark Lord
When the ring was destroyed what went with it, I at first understood that all evil was drained from Middle-Earth, but now that I've rethought it... It seems less sensible, compared to my new view that only the evil united under Sauron's power was taken,
IMO, Only the evil under Sauron. And not even all of it. Only the evil under Sauron that either belonged to his sorcerous power (such as the Nazgul) or was physically proximate to Sauron (i.e. in Mordon). I don't think that the orcs in Moria were affected and I don't think that those men who had allied themselves to Sauron but where not in Mordor were affected
Old 01-15-2006, 07:22 PM   #7
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouth of the Dark Lord
a thread to answer all those questions that are unanswered
All? That is going to be a GIGANTIC thread...
Old 01-17-2006, 12:24 AM   #8
Olmer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
All? That is going to be a GIGANTIC thread...
I think it deserves separate sub-forum, where newbie can ask questions which don't require a long discussion, kind like "What you always wanted to know, but hesitate to ask". And it should cover all Tolkien's work, no restrictions.

By the way. Great idea, Mouth of the Dark Lord!

Also it would be good idea to separate all games from discussion's threads under one sub-forum , it's too much for comfort. Person, seriously interested in discussion would turn away from this board after reading justthe first major topics, like "Pants game"
Old 01-17-2006, 07:37 AM   #9
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Mouth - I think various people trying to answer every single question that came up in only one thread would get very confusing. There would be varying opinions on some matters, and discussions on different points would overlap.

Simply do a search for a topic of interest - and if you can't find it, start a thread in the appropriate forum.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 01-17-2006, 09:02 AM   #10
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Closing.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Closed Thread